You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Robe and Armour Crafting Option in Rest Menu - Limit it  (Read 1851 times)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
Robe and Armour Crafting Option in Rest Menu - Limit it
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »
I've always thought that this option that is made in the rest menu should have been limited to certain area's. Because frankly it does kinda ruin the immersion of the server when you see someone crafting thier avatars armour or what not right in the middle of say the outskirts. Doing so even creates lag for other players, though I myself have not suffered from it. Now it is one thing to ask players not to do this but doing so is quite the task as every new player would have to be informed. Also it's not going to stop players from doing it in any case. As such I would suggest to the DEV team that this option in the rest menu be made ONLY availible to the player when in certain area's eg: Inn Rooms and the OOC lounge, heck limit it to the OOC lounge as you can teleport there from an Inn room anyway.

This would I hope stop willy nilly crafting happening on the fly all over the server which is quite rude for those of us who are trying to enjoy a good night of healthy gothic horror roleplay. Seeing a char add hoc crafting is in my oppinion... really annoying.

Vegas

• New to the Mists
Re: Robe and Armour Crafting Option in Rest Menu - Limit it
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »
The OOC Lounge is absolutely horrible for tweaking the look of your armor/cloaks. The lighting is set way too low. Also, there may be some RP value to crafting in public areas. If my character is whiling away the night in the ML temple and is not actively RPing with anyone, why shouldn't he be able to sit in a corner by himself and mend his armor or make alterations to his clothing? I have never experienced any lag when others were crafting nearby, nor have I heard that it causes lag for other people. If it does, then I apologize, but rather than sending someone a tell biting their head off, why not go over and engage them in some RP? More often than not, they're crafting because there's nothing else to do at that given moment.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Nah. That is not acceptable IMO. Crafting should not be a public act, even if there is nothing going on, and who said you are alone? There could be a stalker or two nearby. The biggest problem is that it breaks immersion, when you see somebody switching robes like magic, now it turns into a hat, next an apron, excuse me please.

If lighting is the problem buy a Lantern(1 gold) hold it for extra light whislt you craft.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »
crafting should not be restricted to the OOC lounge, it may be something that is bothersome to some, but I have never seen it be a widespread issue.

Areas like the changing rooms at Laura's were design to craft in them anyway,   and who cares if someone is changing a detail on some random map as you pass by, very low on the list of things that I have ever spared a thought towards personally.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
Crafting still has impact on older computers. Mine pauses for a second on every single change. When it hits some CEP2 clothing, it freezes for 5 seconds and potentially crashes the game.
It's very annoying to have happen in a high-traffic area and you can barely move as a result.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:34 AM »
crafting should not be restricted to the OOC lounge, it may be something that is bothersome to some, but I have never seen it be a widespread issue.

Areas like the changing rooms at Laura's were design to craft in them anyway,   and who cares if someone is changing a detail on some random map as you pass by, very low on the list of things that I have ever spared a thought towards personally.

I agree completely but still, it would be nice if people wold not start crafting in a high traffic area with lots of people around.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:13:25 AM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »
I personally do any and all my crafting in the OOC lounge... sure the lighting is low but I just move the curser over the avatar and hey presto... I can see more detail than I would in a well lit room.

I suggested this change cause A) Some find it annoying and emersion breaking, myself included and B) For those who have low end computers it creates lag. And people are not going to stop doing it unless you limit where it can be done.

Dress shops and Armour Smiths.... This makes sense so yeah alllow it there as well. I like that idea, my main beaf is the ad hoc crafting done in the middles of some major event like last night... there was OOC messages asking for the crafting to stop due to lag. Well so much for the emersion there... Yeesh :/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:28:16 AM by Honoun »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »
Yep, I'm on the side that suffers with the 1 second pause. Do your crafting in remote areas or if you're alone in a not so popular building!

-Rotten Fish-

• Dark Lord
  • "Getting Down With The Sickness..."
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:58:24 AM »
theres bigger fish to fry i think than crafting in public. heck ive done it a few times at the back of the ML church.

id say who cares, but evidently some people do.
Beriszló Józsa - Gundarakite Commoner
Emanuel Lupescu - Cursed Barovian...
Hastian Vandel - "And The Dead Shall Walk..."
Konrad Kruschev - R.I.P

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
When I'm on as Decarabia Ethniu and he *pulls off his robe* I just go into the craft menu, hit previous robe and his robe is off  :)

But I can understand the lag issue that extended crafting may cause.
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
I like the option personally but I only would craft something while emoting the act like, *puts on a hat* or in the privacy of an Inn room or where no one is around.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
It breaks immersion. But the critical thing about it is that I can't walk, turn my camera, type, RP, in other words, I can't do anything if there's someone changing their socks.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
Just wanted to say that the lighting level in the OOC lounge has been turned up... Try it and see  :mrgreen: