Author Topic: New parry system  (Read 32804 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
New parry system
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »
This topic is to discuss the new parry system described here:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=16042.0

As it's a rather fundamental change, we anticipate some tweaks having to be made, so this topic is created to help make those.

Generally, though, it will be hard for all of us to predict the exact effect on balance from the start, so I recommend we let it run for a little bit before doomsaying it.

Cheers :)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: New parry system
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:53:33 AM »
So wait, if I understand this correctly.. for every five ranks of parry you have, you gain +1 AC without a shield? As in, it's now possible to wield a one-handed weapon without the shield and not worry about suffering the loss of AC?

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:36:30 AM »
I dont know  where to post about it.
WIth my fighter I have parry and when I take a weapon it shows in the log:
Parry bonus added +2 and something else I dont remember. It works as intended, but I think it  shouldnt be showed there .
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:53:13 AM »
So wait, if I understand this correctly.. for every five ranks of parry you have, you gain +1 AC without a shield? As in, it's now possible to wield a one-handed weapon without the shield and not worry about suffering the loss of AC?
Bg deal its ony +4 at lev 20.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:18:33 AM »

Well, a regular large shield with +1 AC brings you up to +4 anyways. Although it is pretty lame that your Parry gets reduced if you're wearing heavy armor as well.. kinda works against it.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:26:43 AM »

Well, a regular large shield with +1 AC brings you up to +4 anyways. Although it is pretty lame that your Parry gets reduced if you're wearing heavy armor as well.. kinda works against it.

A Large shield offers +2 AC, A tower shield offers +3.

Regardless, it is quite a powerful bonus as on level 17 you'll effectively have access to a weightless, no penalty incurring tower shield +1 which also works while dual-wielding.

Regarding heavy armor, it depends how it is implemented. If it works like tumble, then the bonus is applied by actual skill ranks (and thus remains even when the modified skill is much lower), if it works like spellcraft then the bonus is added by modified skill ranks (and would be suspect to armor penalty but could be increased by items that boost parry skill).
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:51 AM »
Armor penalty doesnt affect AC bonus which parry provides. So my fighter with heavy armor still has +2 bonus from 12 parry even if he is wearing full plate.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:33:46 AM »
Yeah.

As mentioned, it's a significant change to the skill, so it is likely to be tweaked some. One should keep in mind, however, that while it may be as powerful as a +1 tower shield at the highest levels, it is at the cost of a substantial amount of skill points dedicated to that skill - so I feel it sounds about fair.

kyoung2200

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:43:07 AM »
Not to mention that Magic Vestment will bump your total AC up (over/to) the parry bonus if you have a cleric with you.  Unless I'm remembering wrong. 
::No longer posting under this account.  Using account named Swiftar::

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:35 AM »
can we request relevels to change skill points accordingly?
Has been described as a sometimey player

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
Really helps out monks, Thanks i like the new parry rules.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
can we request relevels to change skill points accordingly?

When you relog you'll be level 1 and you will manage yourself.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »
I'm guessing this is something that will be fixed, but the parry bonus doesn't go away when I switch from a melee weapon to a ranged weapon.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
I think it's something just in the chart because it actually says it in the message. Also because if you rest it goes away also the marking on the chart. Just a guess.

[EDIT] Not sure if the bonus is applied really to monk being unarmed and having the improved unarmed fighting feat (they get it for free 1st level), since as a test with Caterina the bonus appeared when she wields a weapon and disappears at the rest. *Shrugs*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:55:10 AM by +Ciaran+ »
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
Yeah.

As mentioned, it's a significant change to the skill, so it is likely to be tweaked some. One should keep in mind, however, that while it may be as powerful as a +1 tower shield at the highest levels, it is at the cost of a substantial amount of skill points dedicated to that skill - so I feel it sounds about fair.
This be exactly how i see it to, this is indeed a nice thing in my eyes, now you can chose to actually skip the shield and still have nice AC, Maxed out this will give you m+4 AC but you then need to lay a good amount of skill points on it and you need to be level 17 to max it out, 20 skill points, or the shield feat and you have the same AC, that is a towershield with +1...

Anyways, i like it and it seems like a goodie thing in my eyes.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
This sounds pretty impressive!  Out of curiosity, how does it interact with the Two-Weapon Defense feats?  Any chance they'll stack?   :D

Shadowthrone

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »
This sounds pretty impressive!  Out of curiosity, how does it interact with the Two-Weapon Defense feats?  Any chance they'll stack?   :D

They stack

mayvind

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
all my 20 ish chars ..... relevel *spasm*  :jawdrop:  :Seriously__We_Need_One__by_Ca :wakka: :wakka:

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
Does the AC bonus take effect always or only when parrying?

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Does the AC bonus take effect always or only when parrying?

Always. I don't think the "parry mode" has been taken into account at all.

mayvind

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
i notice greater skill focus gone or similar ... feats

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Something looks wrong here:

When I equip a heavy flail (two handed) I get "Applying parry skill and two-weapon defence feat bonuses: +2" and get 2 more ac.

Then when I hold a halberd (two handed) I get "Applying parry skill and two-weapon defence feat bonuses: +4" and get 4 more ac.

So the halberd should be +2 I guess. I put 20 ranks in parry.

Also when I unequip the halberd or flail, I get +4 ac still, although I don't have improved unarmed strike.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
Something looks wrong here:

When I equip a heavy flail (two handed) I get "Applying parry skill and two-weapon defence feat bonuses: +2" and get 2 more ac.

Then when I hold a halberd (two handed) I get "Applying parry skill and two-weapon defence feat bonuses: +4" and get 4 more ac.

So the halberd should be +2 I guess. I put 20 ranks in parry.

Also when I unequip the halberd or flail, I get +4 ac still, although I don't have improved unarmed strike.

Halberds, spears and quarterstaffs give the same bonus as if you carried a one handed weapon or one in each hand. This is to reflect that they are effective to parry with, however, at this point, I'm a bit unsure if that feature is to remain, but it does make weapons much less frequently used now a bit more effective.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Can't argue with that. :)

It should for one give all those halberd using guards more of a chance too.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »
Halberds, spears and quarterstaffs give the same bonus as if you carried a one handed weapon or one in each hand. This is to reflect that they are effective to parry with, however, at this point, I'm a bit unsure if that feature is to remain, but it does make weapons much less frequently used now a bit more effective.

Ooh, no, please leave that!  I remember suggesting a while back that quarterstaffs should at least get the two-weapon defense bonus, seeing as in standard D&D they're double-weapons :)