You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: From a birdcage to the next: Xar'naeth Maerdalis, Sigil's bard  (Read 1358 times)

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Xar'naeth Taniel Maerdalis, portrait pack (extract to NWN/portraits)

(yes, inspired a bit by a certain tiefling from BG 2!  :mrgreen:)

Chapter I – Hexes of Waterdeep

A noble aristocrat, mage of some reputation, lighted the last of the black candles surrounding the symbol on the floor. Eerie shadows danced the basement walls and conjuring chants echoed throughout the hallways. No flicker of life was left in the mansion, save the summoning mage; All the servants had long been dismissed, as no interruption could be afforded with the delicate ritual.
”Alla Xul”, the candle flames crew higher, the room became darker and the shadows gained depth.
”Gigim Xul”, smoke erupted from the middle of the circle, filling the room with stench of brimstone and fire.

The mage covered his face, gasses making his eyes wet, and a silent whisper of seducting voice was heard; In the middle, a naked creature with red leather wings, horns and sharp canines stood. A succubus! The plan had worked, thought the noble man.

Chapter II – Life and misery of the Alu-fiend and of demon blood:

Succubus are a curious breed. Their lives are only for seduction, lust and destruction of mortals. Confident of his magical protections and wardings, the noble man was certain of being in control. Likewise, was the now pregnant succubus, who was certain the mortal man was under her control. The time for the childbirth came, result what is known as an Alu-fiend, the female spawn of mortal man and succubus.
Years passed in uncomforable peace, where neither of the two parents were aware of the ambitions or freedom of will of the another. Eventually, when the alu-fiend was eleven and capable of travel of her own, the true ambitions showed; And erupted as a battle; Which for years continued through the Planes, as the succubus escaped the mage with her child. Countless times changed the half-fiend owner, the parents being close to even matched in strength of Arcane.
Eventually a third person took a step in. A Sigillian archmage, one of intimidating power. His ambitions, once again, were his own. He killed the mortal noble and sent the succubus screaming down back to Abyss. The alu-fiend was taken a prisoner to the archmage's tower in Sigil, where she was captured and used for a wide variety of magical experimentations. One of the experimentations, even if of less arcane kind, was to produce an offspring. For the archmage's goals, a demon-bred child fully under his control was ideal. However, the alu-fiend decided her life was to be her own and in the early steps of her pregnancy, she fled the City of Doors, chased by the angered archmage. Again, the chase took over many Planes. The alu-fiend was capable to keep herself hidden for months at most; During a month in one of the shallow sanctuaries in Outlands of Sigil, she gave birth to the child, a tiefling. Amused by the tragic upbringing and family history of the tiefling child, was a member of Doomguard, who saw this as a marvelous reference to the growing decay and entropy of the multiverses.

He adopted the child to keep him safe from the archmage's wrath, and this child was to become a wandering bard of Sigil, whose tragic history hardly strained neither his human nor demon part.

Chapter III - Xar'naeth's last play in Sigil:

Hurry up and get dressed the last of you, we're starting in a minute, the shout of the director is magically enchanted to carry over the small-talk of ready actors. Xar'naeth finds himself in the dressing room, with his close friend Sanetha. You know, Xar'naeth.. It's increasingly clear to me, that these loops are inescapable. I don't know.. But maybe.. It feels closest to like a constant déjà vu. Accelerating déjà vu, Sanetha smiles, though there's saddness to her smile. Unsure what to say to it, Xar'naeth tells a short story of a man who never forgot who he was when he ended up in Nine Hells after death, returned later to Prime, and repeated the course, again and again, but in the end broke free of the chains. Sanetha's smile gets a bit more honest for a moment, and then the play starts..

In the middle of the illusions that formed the odd landscape of Ysgard on the stage, a small fire is noticed - A fire more real than the rest of the mere magical setup! It grows fast, spreading on the stage and the bouncers quickly start to empty the theatre. With his natural resistance to fire, Xar'naeth refuses to leave, for he hasn't seen Sanetha in the groups fleeing the fire. And so his last sight before forced to escape the flames is a woman in middle of the flames, smiling, and staring into Xar'naeth's eyes, her lips forming the quiet words: And this is my escape, dear, and on the spot, Xar'naeth answers with a small poem built together from his time with Sanetha.

A step in the house of old,
Hoping it shall still hold on,
Eternal flames breath beneath,
A world shakingly built on the heath

With each meaningless sin,
The wheel's in a new spin,
Made of what I could think,
To be everything: It goes on

Dims and grows the flicker,
And the wax is gone quicker,
Each new day plays the song,
Louder and louder for lifelong

Weeks later, as much annoyed as he is puzzled and saddened - yet, as usual, seemingly in lack of deep emotion - Xar'naeth leaves Sigil to see the Outer Planes.

Physical traits:

Xar'naeth bears offwordly beauty, though an aura of distrust and chaos effectively offsets much of his charisma. Rings of exotic coloring - Turqoise, violet, purple - and of more conventional - gold, silver - line his pointed ears, that would be a common sight to one of partially elven heritage. However, even though Xar's body is thin, it is still larger than what most half-elves hold. His dark hair might on occasion flash in light, as if it some of the hair was metallic.

If he's seen gloveless, one may spot tattoo-like deep stripes, that appear like peeled off skin, dance down his forearms and entwingle together on the back of his palms. The same red stripes cover most of his body, leaving only neck and face clear. He has somewhat long and sharp fangs as well as abnormally long tongue, though these he has for most part learned to effectively hide, only showing them off on purpose. Where horns used to be, two bony bumps are located under his hair.

When his blood is spilled, it appears as slightly warmer, darker and thicker than the average - Though the difference is very minor and hardly noticeable in midsts of combat.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:30:40 PM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Day at the Carnival!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
Day at the Carnival!

Xar'naeth sits in the common room of Blood o' the Vine, thinking over the Carnival and it's dwellers. A faint, dreamy smile plays on his painted lips, as he recalls the wonders he saw - And the words of the Fortune Teller.

"But what you didn't know, is that the shadows watched you.." and "Soon you will have to choose.. Between pride or glory..". Xar'naeth thinks over it, again and again, unable to decide whether to believe the words as a true foreseeing or just a cleverly knit web of illusions and lies to bewilder his mind.

And also, the ring? What ring?.. "The ring and you, are very similar".. "Will you have the ring.. You will then understand..". What ring? I do not have a ring, Xar'naeth thinks, other than the very ordinary ones that are made to be just pretty, nor do I know of any special rings save for one, he continues in his inner dialogue. This puzzles Xar's mind to no small degree.

Was the case to either way, another idea plays in Xar's mind: To join the Carnival! Join the group wherein he actually feels remotely real and normal. Join the group, which is made of illusions. So many and powerful illusions, that those who witness them, do not have to upkeep the illusions and masks of their own, but can drop them and merely be! So shall Xar return to the Carnival - The leaving of the wagons has to be witnessed.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:24:42 AM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Departing with the Carnival..
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »

They showed me my worst nightmare! How did they know.. Not the fire, but memories.. Of what being burned alive represents.. But no. I hate cages - No time, no will for any more of them!

Departing with the Carnival..
Xar'naeth leaves an amulet, wrapped inside a paper, to Tarinyar and watches Tindal, the Carnival barker, lead the Georges out as Skurries start to pack up the Carnival, Freaks carrying their own part in the process.

And he thinks, this is rare time on this land.. That I so much feel free. Outside the birdcages and freely flying... And he watches with a smile towards Barovia - With no longing to his expression, just happiness and excitement over the future and the grand spectacles and wonderous shows that await! An adventure, a trip with a group of freaks and performancers. Fate and a trip that could no better match a tiefling with the heart of a dreamer!

Xar'naeth climbs to a wagon and without a glance spared back, the Mists engulf the Caravan as it heads to it's next destination..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:23:46 PM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Playing a Song
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »
Still with the carnival & sitting in a shared Vardo slowly making it's travel through gently swirling mists, Xar'naeth picks up a few sheets of paper and his instruments..

Playing a song:

Scribbling down:
Many strange places in the universe. If concept of law and order on a metaphysical level informs one of basic structure, but yet chaos, entropy and disorder remains, isn't the only purpose of law and order to maintain itself sensible and comprehensible? Having no touch on my side of the wall. Chaos allows growth - no one needs to know change, as long as it happens - order only knows itself - but how meaningless that is, to sit alone amongst equations, notes and books of science and history?

Starting a song:
Strange places, the first part.

//Granted that has many computerized sounds impossible to recreate on acoustic instruments, but Carnival and Xar'naeth love their illusions. ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:57:23 AM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Return!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
//I think I had the wrong URL with Xar's portrait, feel free to download the set from: http://koti.kapsi.fi/tzaeru/Xarnaeth.rar and extrat to NWN/Portraits

*Snippets from wandering tiefling's utterly incoherent journal..*

From a day at Carnival

"Uhh.. This.. Don't get it. Not what I thought. Askin' why throws me to the blinds, you know.. What do you look at from behind, and it is no one, but when looking from the front, is anybody? When looking at the answer, I see nobody. Ain't right.

Long struggled to find the key,
Wandered deep the Rift's way.
From through the third sight,
Came first glimpse of light.

Even with this key, ain't got the door, yet. Time for the third show! They do happen in threes, don't they?"

From Dementlieu to Vallaki!

"Left! Walkin'! To Dementlieu.. Met this Mademoiselle Armont. She threw loads of jink at me. Told to write two plays. Seek actors. Likes macabre. Think ah figured out why, why I now look like this - It's because of love! Because of things I love. Illusions.. Fire.. Chaos. Makes sense.. And beauty! Grandma was the prettiest of them folk in the pits. Guess I'm half-way to be the prettiest of her male counterpart.

Know what illusion is? Ah do. Illusion is anythin', and due to that, closer to truth, than these Primers think is the real world. They can't see it. I can. Macabrely funny, really. No stoppin' a spiv, got ten thousand solars to seek those actors. Time to go to Vallaki!"

What the many red tattoo-like stripes on the skin of this man might look like:

Examining back of his palm closer: