Author Topic: crying shame  (Read 2678 times)

bilboowesme1gp

• New to the Mists
crying shame
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm not sure why some players got relevels to implement the new hak hotfix and why some didn't but that was wrong.  No matter what the "reason" is, it was wrong as hell and whoever made that call knows it.  Realizing I hadn't been reset, I asked a DM for assistance.  Zara himself told me my toon was "fine" and I didn't need to relevel.  I asked if that was certain and was told yes.

So why did those standing around the OOC room say they were all releveling?  Is it common for new players to be nerfed or disregarded so the "clique" of older players gets to do as they please?  If you want to run a private server then put a password on it.  But don't proclaim yourselves to be a public server and then have two sets of criteria.

It really is a shame too because this is probably one of the best built servers I have played on and a great RP crowd.

By the way, I wasn't fine.  I was very glitched just like yesterday after the original patch.  The players I spoke to yesterday know it and the DM that had to run a bugfix on me in game yesterday after I died 3 times for nothing knows it.  The real question is, why do some players get treated differently than others?   This module is awesome but the staff is suspect.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: crying shame
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
It was an automatic detection that people got upon login. Nobody was given preferential treatment. The relevels were due to the fact that we removed several feats (Greater Skill Focus) and changed the way the parry skill works. Anyone who had taken the greater skill focus feats was detected upon login and forced to relevel because those feats no longer existed.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
Hm...I have relevelled three of my characters now, and one of them didn't have greater skill focus, but it was a wizard. I take it they relevelled because of the familiars?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42:32 AM »
Hm...I have relevelled three of my characters now, and one of them didn't have greater skill focus, but it was a wizard. I take it they relevelled because of the familiars?
probably because we removed some of the familiars as well (panther and hellhound)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
Another reason that people were automatically releveling was because we made some of the things that had formerly been done by widgets, such as subdual mode or the follow command, into feats. Older characters would need to remake in order to have them.

If I recall correctly, bilbo, your character was only 3rd level. If you made the character yesterday you wouldn't have needed a remake because you already had the feats. The stat issue you had should have been corrected after I used the debug tool on you.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
Actually also having the "new" parry it meant that to get ranks in it one had to remove from somewhere else. It was not simply a nerfing of items but of the very shape of characters which has invovled, I believe, the 99.99% of the characters of the server and I believe the almost totality of the players too.

On a sidenote, I had some dozen characters to re-level and it was not real fun. Not a matter of cliques or whatever, it has been a generalized change. And I honestly -like- how the thing has been run, with mutual respect and help among most players, dms, developers and admins. Another proof of how this server works fine. Thanks for all the efforts for this, again, never thanked enough...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
I'm sorry if it seemed like I was brushing you off, but I thought you just wanted to know if it was necessary for your character to relevel. I checked your character and it had all the feats and features that required the relevels, so that's why I said it was fine. If there's some other issue with your character, please let us know. At the moment, we are also being somewhat generous with offering relevels, because of the new parry system that's a substantial change and people should be allowed to consider some. If you had asked me to get a relevel, I would have given you that.

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
On a sidenote, I had some dozen characters to re-level and it was not real fun.

I've only redone one of my characters because I hope to avoid having to relevel each of them multiple times if the new parry system ends up being revamped.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »
I hope all my chars have to be relevelled and this is the best thiing that has happened to them in three years I'm playing. If only we could start them over to choose new portraits/voicesets too :(

(I know, I know, I'm not satisfied with anything)
Has been described as a sometimey player

WildPirate13

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
Agreed,

New pics etc, even new heads in some cases. What if your character wanted to grow a beard to hide scars or something. New voice sets are nice. High level chars area very large investment in time.
  Look to the positive I suppose.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
If you want cosmetic changes made to your character, such as a beard, PM a DM and ask if they would assist you when they are free. It's not difficult for them to simply change the head number through their tools.

bilboowesme1gp

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
Well crap.  Looks like I shot my mouth off before I had all the facts.  I don't make excuses but I do apologize.  Moria is only;y level 3 but she has a familiar and has spent a little on parry so I assumed (there's the start of my foot-in-mouth event) I would get to relevel too so I could make use of the changes.  I could have 1) waited for a DM to reply to a message or post on the forums 2) State my concerns in this post rather than be all snarky and impatient and assume it was a issue of playing favorites/cliques 3) Played using parry and taken screenshots of my rolls to determine, with the assistance of a DM, if there was in fact a problem.

I'm not proud of how I've acted and I apologize to anyone who was offended or inconvenienced by my lack of tact and protocol.  Zara & Blue, you guys were great and I should have taken the time to better phrase my concerns instead of expecting you to read my mind.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
Anyone who had taken the greater skill focus feats was detected upon login and forced to relevel because those feats no longer existed.

I didn't have agreater skill focus feat and I was forced to re level. I also didn't have any ranks in the parry skill. I did have one skill focus feat but it was not a greater skill focus feat. Must've been a wizard thing.

Unfortunately re levelling a wizard is annoying because the game hides the spells you learned from scrolls. You get them back once you're high enough level to have them but they're still available during level up so you have to remember which spells you learned from levels and which you learned from scrolls. Fortunately I remembered them all (apart from one spell which I replaced) but it would've been really frustrating to ask a Gm to let me retake each level to make sure I got the spells right and didn't pick any I'd learned from scrolsl (and therefore effectively reduce the sum total of spells known).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:49:13 PM by Nemien Callishan »

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
Anyone who had taken the greater skill focus feats was detected upon login and forced to relevel because those feats no longer existed.

I didn't have agreater skill focus feat and I was forced to re level. I also didn't have any ranks in the parry skill. I did have one skill focus feat but it was not a greater skill focus feat. Must've been a wizard thing.

Unfortunately re levelling a wizard is annoying because the game hides the spells you learned from scrolls. You get them back once you're high enough level to have them but they're still available during level up so you have to remember which spells you learned from levels and which you learned from scrolls. Fortunately I remembered them all (apart from one spell which I replaced) but it would've been really frustrating to ask a Gm to let me retake each level to make sure I got the spells right and didn't pick any I'd learned from scrolsl (and therefore effectively reduce the sum total of spells known).

My experience was that the spells I could select were in an unusually low number, and then figured that the spells I had learned from scrolls weren't even available for me to select. So no problem here.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »

My experience was that the spells I could select were in an unusually low number, and then figured that the spells I had learned from scrolls weren't even available for me to select. So no problem here.

Yes, that was my experience - the ones I learned from scrolls were not able to be selected on level-up. But the ones selected before on level-up were there to be chosen again (which makes sense).

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »

it wasn't just the greater skill focus, we added some new general purpose feats as well