Author Topic: Multiclass Restrictions  (Read 16299 times)

Gorasin

• Undead Master
Re: Multiclass Restrictions
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
I say only allow the ascetic type classes and devoted type classes but set all as dm approval only. I will post them alter but have to go take a nap so I can be rested for work.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
Reviewing the source material on FR monk and paladin orders I provided, lets take a look at these suggestioned builds too.

Druid/Monk: There are no druid deities that correspond with a monk order which allow this class combination. <<< Hi

Paladin/Monk: There are no two orders (belonging to one of each class) that would allow this build to be legal.

Wizard/Monk: Legal, but as Minstrel pointed out, you're taking a loss.

As for the Paladin / Sorc / RDD.. I think this is one of those examples of someone looking at their build rather then fleshing out a character.

Not every paladin/monk belongs to a specific order though.  There are a few certain kinds of backgrounds/characters that could be those combinations.

Sheela Pertroyl/Hin Fist - Druid-Monk
Urogalan Paladin/Hin Fist - Paladin-Monk

TBH, if someone is crazy enough (besides me) to pull off a midget monk that wants to become the one with the paladin code and dirt god's ideals or a midget monk hippie that really wouldn't be fighting much at all, they can go for it imo.
Istavan Donner

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »
Urogalan Paladin/Hin Fist - Paladin-Monk

You've basically described Ruben Blueriver, though I doubt he's ever heard of this outlander god.

dark_majico

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 04:51:28 AM »
Bahamut is the apposing god too Tiamat, his children are the good dragons (I think).

Quote from: HellsPanda on May 18, 2010, 01:54:23 PM
no paladin order would allow walking the path of the Red Dragon Disciples.... Silver sure, but not Red

So, according to the evidence you found backing up the objective statement you just made (which I'm sure you'll be more than happy to share with the rest of us), Bahamut would, without any exceptions whatsoever, scorn any paladin who has served him faithfully for years just because the paladin in question found out he has the blood of a chromatic dragon coursing through his veins. Even though said paladin may be the most noble, pure, courageous defender of Good the multiverse has ever seen, right?

Im fairly certain that I read in source books that I no longer own for variouse unfortunate reasons, that the Red Dragon Disciple class will force the charecter to commit evil and selfish deeds, fighting these urges is possible, but extrordinarily difficult. Which is something most powerbuilders neglect to read, being the bastards they are, everbody wants wings and wants to be your friend [Sighs]. So a RDD paladin is going to face a daily struggle to keep himself from commiting evil or selfish deeds, and all it takes is one slip, and poof.

That asside, if Bahamut looks at you and realizes you have red dragon blood in your family, giving that red dragons are the children of Tiamat, hes going to think your a bit of a bastard anyway and wont accept you as one of his godly servants?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2010, 05:09:16 AM »
exactly, Red Dragons are the draconic embodiment of destructive rampages
and the Disciples try too emulate their dragon heritage as they bring forth the blood, A Silver Dragon will be very protective, a Red Dragon will be a violent brute, I think Vasille is a very good representation of this, he lets his anger and hoarding tendancies influence his actions

Azjor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
I am completely lost as far as I am concerned toward what I want to play. Is it against the rules to play a druid/monk or not? I don't remember this rule. Maybe its been too long since I read them. Please let me know if I need to delete my current build before she goes too far.
No.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
I am completely lost as far as I am concerned toward what I want to play. Is it against the rules to play a druid/monk or not? I don't remember this rule. Maybe its been too long since I read them. Please let me know if I need to delete my current build before she goes too far.
Monk and Paladins cannot multiclass with other core classes, only prestige classes.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Azjor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 11:33:20 PM »
Thanks. Sorry I played it. Never got too far though... only 2 monk 2 druid... so didn't really help me yet. I'll make something else. lol... so sorry.
No.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »
Feel free to contact a DM in-game to adjust your levels to 4 monk if you wish.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
Just an odd ball question, probably has nothing to do with monks or paladins per say

But as a player I always consider the gods as distant, not necessary non-existing needless to say. Like they have to through the DP as a middle man for any powers given to their followers. It is essentially why PCs arent immediately cut off from all divine spells while they enter Ravenloft. However, the gods are really distant and disconnected and have no direct hand in Ravenloft. Thus they have to go through the DP first and the DP can act for the god.

This is kind of how I see it. Would it be a completely wrong assumption?

Shadowthrone

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
Just an odd ball question, probably has nothing to do with monks or paladins per say

But as a player I always consider the gods as distant, not necessary non-existing needless to say. Like they have to through the DP as a middle man for any powers given to their followers. It is essentially why PCs arent immediately cut off from all divine spells while they enter Ravenloft. However, the gods are really distant and disconnected and have no direct hand in Ravenloft. Thus they have to go through the DP first and the DP can act for the god.

This is kind of how I see it. Would it be a completely wrong assumption?

The Dark Powers normally don't provide divine spellcasting. Gods can provide divine powers to their clergy through the Mists but they aren't allowed to contact them directly. That's why they feel so distant, in settings such as Forgotten Realms the gods feel much closer to their clergy and are known to guide them directly or indirectly. The Dark Powers prevent them from doing this.

The exceptions are when a cleric or other divine spellcaster deviates from their deities teachings and the Dark Powers decide to step in and grant them divine abilities after their deity ceases providing them. They probably do this just to see how far they will continue to fall.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
Yes. Bruce that is a common enough misconception but I hope I can provide a bit if insight if you want. The Dark Powers do not surrogate as the source of power to clergy. Those gods do exist, its not a question, and a good deal of characters from other worlds would not question their existence or lose faith just because they are inside the Demiplane of Dread. The relationship between mortal godservant and deity in far off outer planes would experience such a deviation in feel though that it could bring about a crisis of faith, as opposed to a loss of faith. The nuance being that they would question whether or not their actions are befitting the favor of their god without ever actually knowing for certain or not. They have to trust their self to uphold the missions of their church without divine influence and often without the support of their fellow mortal clergy's affirmation. Its like the theme of Ravenloft in general at play again, the cleric is experiencing a crucible.

DPs step in when a deity has stopped giving favor due to severe deviation of faith. In other settings the deity's disfavor would be well known more or less because prayers are no longer answered with spells granted. And to regain spells and powers a supplication and atonement would be minimally required. Or even atoning quests would be required to regain sponsorship of their patron deity involving long and drawn out tests of loyalty and faith. In Ravenloft the cleric gets no such affirmation of loss of favor, nor is there any spelled out path to redemption,  and they would not know they have lost favor because the DPs have made sure the spells are still granted in a deity's absence if the cleric still prays to a god that has abandoned them. That's the time a surrogate relationship occurs, its not a feature of the setting that the gods don't have reach into the demiplane. They are gods after all, they just have limited ability to affect the world, limited more or less to the affairs of their mortal clergy with only their dogma and not divine intervention to guide their hand. In some ways I've enjoyed roleplaying clerics in this scenario even better than in their native environment. There is something unique and challenging about being the lone or near lone agent of a church with only the upbringing and dogmatic beliefs to guide the character.

Also, Gods that actually do not exist at all and never have might have the DPs acting Divine Sponsor, but thats rare and specific.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:40:39 AM by Crimson Shuriken »

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.