Author Topic: Custom Summoning Themes?  (Read 2397 times)

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Custom Summoning Themes?
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »
I've skimmed over previous suggestions and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned (as far back as I looked, at least)
I thought I'd mention something I've always enjoyed from other servers I've played on, custom summoning themes. The default bioware summons always seemed a bit bland. I'd suggest either altering the current theme and devise an entirely new, unique selection of summons, or take it a step further, and allow a variety of themes for players to choose from (or discover regeants within the world)

Thoughts?

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Custom Summoning Themes?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
I've always been in favor of different summons/planar bindings & allies, since those spells are very unexciting as default. I think people barely use the summoning spells at all due to the superiority of other spells of the same level. They don't last long, and die even quicker.

I really enjoy the scripting of all the summoning spells like they are on Daggerdale (2), where they were made more like the PnP version. So each summon was some random outer planar being, and could depend on alignment, for example: Celestial badger / fiendish badger. I remember at a certain summon level you could even call forth a Babilith. The planar binding spells were tougher to get the hang of, but were more powerful in spite of it. Like in PnP you'd have to break through the SR of the creature, and get a successful charisma check, and the further the creature was from your alignment the more difficult it was to bind. I remember if you were evil and failed to bind a good aligned outsider, he would turn hostile, and if you were good aligned and failed, he'd just be neutral and stand there uncontrolled.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »
I remember if you were evil and failed to bind a good aligned outsider, he would turn hostile, and if you were good aligned and failed, he'd just be neutral and stand there uncontrolled.

They would not be able to tell who was what on this demiplane though.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

mayvind

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
I've skimmed over previous suggestions and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned (as far back as I looked, at least)
I thought I'd mention something I've always enjoyed from other servers I've played on, custom summoning themes. The default bioware summons always seemed a bit bland. I'd suggest either altering the current theme and devise an entirely new, unique selection of summons, or take it a step further, and allow a variety of themes for players to choose from (or discover regeants within the world)

Thoughts?

This has been mention way back .......................................... Blue mention he is working on it .................................then it discontinue.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Lanescape had a nice system:

You buy a "summoning charcoal" use it o the floor to "drawn" your summonning circle, cast the spell inside the circle and, depending upon the circle you drawned, a different summon will appear.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
I remember if you were evil and failed to bind a good aligned outsider, he would turn hostile, and if you were good aligned and failed, he'd just be neutral and stand there uncontrolled.

They would not be able to tell who was what on this demiplane though.

I guess so, so failed bindings would just result in neutrality overall.

If this has been worked on, I'm interested in the status of the process.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »

Thoughts?

This has been mention way back .......................................... Blue mention he is working on it .................................then it discontinue.
Yeah, the main reason is that we were very close to maxing out the amount of custom things (creatures, items, placeables, etc.) that can be added to the palette, so it was a matter of what would be appreciated/needed more. We might be able to add them in the future through a hak update, though. Not that they'd need a hak to work, but if they were part of a hak they wouldn't count towards the custom creature/item/etc. limit. Though if we do that, it'd be very difficult to tweak them if the initial implementation was imbalanced.

If we can free up enough space with our next hak update I'll revisit the idea.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

mayvind

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
with all the new stuff and hak and releveling i just though i *bump* this ! of course i love the new familiars ! but summons also can be cool to get the feeling of dread realm and creat undead is almost broken with weak summon for level 8 mage spell.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
with all the new stuff and hak and releveling i just though i *bump* this ! of course i love the new familiars ! but summons also can be cool to get the feeling of dread realm and creat undead is almost broken with weak summon for level 8 mage spell.
The level 8 undead making spell really is severely underpowered. Especially for it's level.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

dark_majico

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 05:04:30 AM »
Lanescape had a nice system:

You buy a "summoning charcoal" use it o the floor to "drawn" your summonning circle, cast the spell inside the circle and, depending upon the circle you drawned, a different summon will appear.

If summoning gets ooked at again anytime soon (or is, fingers crossed) then drawing patterns on the ground would be totally rad! Just like the bedroll placable a pattern is created on the ground, different colour chalks/charcoal could create different patterns, from the pentagrams to the celtic nature-esqe patterns in the toolset. Once you create your pattern you cast the spell on it. Could make it mandatory or you could make it optional, either way it could be wicked cool.

_M_O_B_

• New to the Mists
  • I am Nietzsche!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
As a heads up, you don't need a .hak to change how summon spells work, or to choose what summons to summon.

I think the best way is a Book of SUmmoning of some kind, with a few different creatures per level for each alignment to choose from summoning. So you just choose which one you want from the book, then you summon it.
-Characters-

Horlamin Frostdusk - Mighty Warrior-Druid of the Frostdusk Tribe