You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: XP  (Read 28088 times)

The Gallant Rogue~

• New to the Mists
Re: XP
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
The XP gains have been overhauled, but actually to reward risk taking more (and the trivial less). The entire calculation was restructured though, since I finally pulled myself together and made a proper diagram over the XP gains, revealing certain imbalances.

What you should keep in mind, however, is that your gain is still limited by the cap, meaning that if you were constantly moving in the "slow-down" section and now in a more balanced, your total XP gain over time will be the same.

Zarathustra said it himself in his first post. Things *have* been changed to suit risk takers... This makes alot of sense to me now.. Since i've been fighting creatures that aren't entirely hard to overcome, but still expected to get sufficient experience.. Tis not the case... So it seems we'll all have to set our sights higher and attack greater foes.. Stock up on Potions, stock up on buffs and take on some legendary's! It's obviously all about how hard your foe is to the highest member in your party.. So in theory, if you're a bunch of low-levels killing one really high level with zerg tactics, the groups experience gain will be through the roof compared.. I assume this is correct... So this overhaul infact is forcing us to be more ambitious with our targets and teamwork.

That's what i've extracted from this.. I assume i'm correct? Thanks for this insight! Bring on the games!~

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
More or less spot on  8)

blackgoku23

• Outlander
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
Ya I don't believe that one at all seeing that I take down enemies twice my level in perfidus.  Battling with put fiends and get no XP at all and if you think about it if I am not getting Xp from perfidus I'm not going to get any xp from anything on the server. And my roleplay xp
is at a low as well....

Don't understand really why things keep changing such as the Xp system it gets frustrating seriously...
Malfoed Calahan - The Son of Zeruko
Zeruko - The Cyric Priest (Deceased Perm'ed')
Thignus Lordticun - The Dwarven Slayer

rushjet

• New to the Mists
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
I'm new here so kind of curious but are there any circumstances where a kill will result in 0xp and if so how would I tell? Basically what I'm asking is if I get at least 1xp every time I see the "experience gained" message.

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
Is the XP system for now even work correct? My level 14 character that are on no caps what so ever and three others, one level 19, one level 13 and one more level 14 the same as my character is did hit the darklings today on a close to max spawn, even maybe max spawn and i noticed i got no XP at all from some of the kills made by the others, even not from them of the same level as i, I did manage to wrap a rather good numbers of kills my self... when i rested after we was done there the text that followed my rest was that close to nothing in challenge had present it self to me.
If that place ain't a challenge i not know what is..he he
Question is though that can it have been that the level 19 that was with us messed up the XP so bad for the rest of us?
Even if so, would i not get XP from the kills of them others there of the same level as my self?

I only asks here to try find out if the XP system is somewhat bugged as i did think it be a bit strange that i not received xp from them others and close to nothing from my own kills. Can also mention that i actually not got any xp from a few that even i landed the killing blow on.

//Cheers.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
Killed the aspect of Chernovog and a bunch of powerful demons and got little if any xp.  Was just my 14 lvl cleric and his lvl 19 bard wife.  It was a tough challenge for them but we got no xp.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »
The issue is that it will count you all as being level 19. It may be though that the system needs some tweaks to better balance out at higher levels. It could also be related to some creatures not having appropriate CR settings though - we might need to evaluate that.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »
Chenvog is a dungeon suited for chars 12-16, the level 19 would be too high for that dungeon too give XP. In general level 19 chars only gain XP from things like the Ice Queen, Zalaph, Demonologist, and possibly Kir'thalas aka Walter

Also at 14+ you can go too pretty much every dungeon, and complete them with decent group tactcs.
actually if its a cleric you can probably solo most of them.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:23:45 AM by HellsPanda »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »
Well, that atleast suggests it is properly balanced. The main issue however is that it's hard for level 19 characters to find a group of same-levels.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
It should also be taken into account that different classes have tougher times than others.  A 19 lvl bard is not the same as a 19 lvl mage or cleric.  My lvl 14 cleric can survive a lot more than a lvl 14 rogue.  It's very frustrating to take on something very challenging, use potions, and still get no xp or even decent loot.  Perhaps killing anything should give *some* xp.  Lowering the RP xp reward has really hurt too.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
It should also be taken into account that different classes have tougher times than others.  A 19 lvl bard is not the same as a 19 lvl mage or cleric.  My lvl 14 cleric can survive a lot more than a lvl 14 rogue.  It's very frustrating to take on something very challenging, use potions, and still get no xp or even decent loot.  Perhaps killing anything should give *some* xp.  Lowering the RP xp reward has really hurt too.

First, I thinlk all kill should give some XP. Even if it is 1 XP. We don't have the "boil an ant hive" tactic. I really think that, for instance, killing the ants behind the halfling den shoulld earn XP: is someone doing a good deed.

Second: you REALLY should rebalance some creatures challenge rating.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Shadowthrone

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure they removed experience (or rather removed the messages, fairly sure you weren't getting anything anyway) for high levels killing low level monsters specifically so they wouldn't pointlessly plough through low level areas that low level characters could be enjoying.

Not that it helped. People are selfish.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:06:23 AM by Sheltatha »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure they removed experience for high levels killing low level monsters specifically so they wouldn't pointlessly plough through low level areas that low level characters could be enjoying.

Not that it helped. People are selfish.

Ow, come on... someone who reached level 14 has better places to spend it's time, doesn't it?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2010, 11:52:24 AM »
I have seen many players who keep farming the few low level areas even if they don't get anything for it, I have no idea why.....

and they did remove the XP recieved message from kills that gave you less than 1 XP

Mordch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
I have seen many players who keep farming the few low level areas even if they don't get anything for it, I have no idea why

With my lvl 19 barbarian the only dungeons I can do are the lowbie ones.  I am also not part of any cliques, and try avoid OOC parties so I cannot go to mid level dungeons either, or high level dungeons that would actualy give him something worthwhile.

With my lvl 19 wizard none of that matters as summons alone vastly outperform my barbarian.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
most of the high level dungeons need teams, yes

my level 8 barbarian and my level 4/4 fighter/rogue can both do alot more than the lowbie dungeons solo, so not sure why your 19 barbarian is having more troubles with that than others I have spoken with.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
I have seen many players who keep farming the few low level areas even if they don't get anything for it, I have no idea why

With my lvl 19 barbarian the only dungeons I can do are the lowbie ones.  I am also not part of any cliques, and try avoid OOC parties so I cannot go to mid level dungeons either, or high level dungeons that would actualy give him something worthwhile.

With my lvl 19 wizard none of that matters as summons alone vastly outperform my barbarian.

Please... define "lowbie dungeons".

Dude... you're a barbarian. Probably around 300 hp. Stock up potions and varnishes and you probably can solo the alhoon.

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
having trouble wiht my level 13th and my level 18th char getting xp both of them are at new dawns and have been for a very long time. Not finding much that gives them xp at all if any.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Shadowthrone

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »
Being a barbarian or a fighter class stopped being an excuse when they introduced magical varnishes, firepipes, and heaven's armour potions. Sorry.

I don't even see why people want to solo anything. It's really, really boring. Get a group and do something challenging. You will get xp and have a good time.

If you can't get a group then you're probably playing an anti-social character in which case you can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »

Please... define "lowbie dungeons".

Dude... you're a barbarian. Probably around 300 hp. Stock up potions and varnishes and you probably can solo the alhoon.

Barabarian , as in hates magic  type of real barbarian  ;)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:12 PM »
Being a barbarian or a fighter class stopped being an excuse when they introduced magical varnishes, firepipes, and heaven's armour potions. Sorry.

I don't even see why people want to solo anything. It's really, really boring. Get a group and do something challenging. You will get xp and have a good time.

If you can't get a group then you're probably playing an anti-social character in which case you can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Or, you have something called "Real Life Responsabilities", that makes hard to have a good game schedule, play in a regular basis and, thus, make useful contacts to gather a party.

Oh, of course I could try to spam the whole playerbase in tells asking if I can join any party.

Yeah. Great RP. "Oh, hi, Stranger, would you mind if I join you group in the middle of a dungeon where I can easily kill you when you're off guard?"

"Oh, off course stranger! Join me for no particular reason!"

I guess this was already discussed and is off topic: we're not discussing changing rules to force people to roleplay, we're discussing how the XP rules were changed and how this impacts the player experience since we have high levels running around near the top levels and how the mid levels and low levels (that happen to be the biggest sahre of the playerbase) are feeling without being able to advance on their own.

Mordch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
361 HP actualy. I would love to get my fingertips on some purple varnish, even though I detest the whole system. AC and self healing is a huge issue. Under rage everything the enemy so much as coughs at him ends up hitting him.

For example, during a 5 man demonologist raid he ended up using 40 cure critical potions, most of those just on himself. thats nearly 2 seasons worth of herb gathering for him..  and all it netted him was a pitiful hectors cutter. not exactly cost effective.
I soloed the place with my wizard at zero cost, was damaged only once, and it was much easier than partying the place, and a million times more cost effective.

On another example Wallace and Kayne tried invidians. we somewhat managed to get through the first camp as it was not a particularly high spawn, but once we stepped in the cave it took us maybe 20 seconds total before we were ripped to shreds and forced to flee.. under the current monsters following through transitions we would have died.  so much for partying.  again, a summon from a wizard dispatches those pesky invidians with ease, with zero use of potions, or varnishes, or scrolls. very cost effective.

Never heard of something called a firepipe before. And heavens armour I have with Kayne a total of 2 bottles. something to be used in an event as I do not have an access to steady supply of them. It is something of a minor miracle if I can get one.  your character might, however.

And all this is not even going to the root of  how much I hate having a barbarian cough up potions and glowy artifacts left and right.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
My biggest beef with the system right now is some challenge rating balancing.  For instance, with a level 18 character (your party is almost certainly required to contain someone of this level to succeed) in Perfidus, there are a number of monsters on a high spawn that don't give experience at all.  Strong fiendish fanatics and all of the aberrations give nothing at all in the way of experience.

Considering it is the hardest dungeon on the server, I would think that even with a level 20 in the party, everything from a moderate-high spawn should at least give something, because even the low monsters in that place don't have too hard of a time mopping the floor with a level 20.  It makes it very hard to hit the place for experience.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Mordch,

Grouping generally involves having a wizard and/or a cleric. I know Kayne doesn't like them, but that's your choice - and a choice I respect. Anybody that sacrifices ease of playing the game for their roleplay is to be commended - but I don't think they get to complain about trying to play a group-orientated server as barbarian without magical support. You wouldn't get away with that in D&D either.

The only decent experience gain you are going to get on a level 19 character is in demonologists. You will not use consumables if you party with a half decent wizard and a cleric that actually knows what a healing support class is for. A buffed level 19 barbarian with a decent party supporting him will tear through anything.

Again, I respect the sacrifices you make for your characters roleplay, but they were your own choice to make. If it's any consolation, I severely doubt your level 19 wizard could solo Perfidus (the new demonologists) on high spawn - at least not the pit fiends.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
Never heard of something called a firepipe before.

It's a very handy item, but requires bard class or UMD skill to make use of, so not something a barbarian or fighter can use themselves.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...