Author Topic: XP  (Read 28083 times)

mayvind

XP
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
Am back people, and the first thing i notice is XP gain. some how i dont get proud anymore has it  been change ? .. it feel like it have a buffer that prevent character to get lots of XP from a badass kill. which some what destroy Risk Vs Reward XP.
it feel like killing a balor and a dog is not different in XP gain if you are lower level.

Or this might only effecting me or iam just paranoid and the XP system havent been touch? doubt it though.

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: XP
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »
I have not heard anything official.

But I personally feel the xp gain has been lowered.  There was a thread about people noticing leveling up was slower not long ago, and ever since then I have felt that xp gain has been decreased noticably. Not that it matters, if everyone is leveling up slow together, no real change in anything.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
When they made the change to no longer give xp messages unless you gain xp, The xp system was altered. Not sure if was intentional or not, but xp gains have been reduced.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:43:47 AM »
Really? Really? Ever since the XP message thing, Werner seemed to have leveled faster even though I was RPing less. The last segment of level 18 didn't take anywhere near as long as the other segments. (Not that I know how those segments work. Are they evenly portioned segments?)

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:14 AM »
To answer your question about "Proud" message, Mayvind.

Only one proud message for any of my characters in 2010, and it came from an over hour long emote spamfest where one of my characters was teaching something to someone else. But I have found that "Proud" messages never result from combat any longer, even occasionally as they used to. Then again, the messages verbage has changed, and that may have something to do with it too. I know there is "fairly eventful" mixed in with "quite satisfied" now.

The messages do a good job of keeping you in the dark, I have never been able to consistently figure out the rhyme or reason of them, and I believe its by design.

XP gain does seem slower than it used to be though, might be just my characters, but I am averaging a level every 3-4 months since about November, with my two highest level characters, and both of them are undercapped and have been for ages.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:21:07 AM »
The XP gains have been overhauled, but actually to reward risk taking more (and the trivial less). The entire calculation was restructured though, since I finally pulled myself together and made a proper diagram over the XP gains, revealing certain imbalances.

What you should keep in mind, however, is that your gain is still limited by the cap, meaning that if you were constantly moving in the "slow-down" section and now in a more balanced, your total XP gain over time will be the same.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:06 AM »
A slower experience gain overall (more balanced) impairs the players (not me) that play multiple characters.  It means they have to dedicate more time to advancing their characters than they would have had to previously.  For someone playing one character, as you've stated, there will be no effect.

I think this will definitely disappoint some players who already felt they were leveling multiple characters slowly.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:52 AM »
A slower experience gain overall (more balanced) impairs the players (not me) that play multiple characters.

ugh :(

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:49 AM »
A slower experience gain overall (more balanced) impairs the players (not me) that play multiple characters.  It means they have to dedicate more time to advancing their characters than they would have had to previously.  For someone playing one character, as you've stated, there will be no effect.

I think this will definitely disappoint some players who already felt they were leveling multiple characters slowly.

Assuming it affects them. The change is relatively new, so if people have been feeling it for a while, it would be have something different. Also, the XP gain for roleplaying has in fact at the same time been slightly increased.

Evaluating, I've only seen very few who has an XP buffer that suggest that they are gaining less XP than will in the long run be their limit, so I think we should be cautious about speculating too much. Those I've seen at the "strong urge to learn more" level have seemed to be characters that have either not been played in a while, or largely dedicated on social roleplay (which for the record, is by no means a bad thing, but from an IC logical perspective, they wouldn't progress as quickly.) All others will be gaining at the same rate as before - and high levels have always been levelling very slowly.

Now the most important change has been to reward much less for things below your level - in the hope that higher levels will seek out high level dungeons for challenge, rather than grinding the somewhat lower level zones. Without judging too much, perhaps that's the tendency that should change. That's the parole of the system, somewhat: Seek true danger once rather than repeating the trivial ten times.

All that said, please, help in evaluation is always appreciated.

Lockleed

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
I've got over six main characters I run amok as, on an alternating basis.  Back when I began playing here, I stuck to just a single PC, Corvin.  When he got to the point of regularly staying at a high level cap ("You are running into the proverbial wall, face first..."), and my efforts seemed futile to get him anywhere; I branched out into alternative characters.  Since then they've all developed pretty well down the line and all with a pretty standard progression.

The only changes I've really noticed is that my characters aren't often capped anymore, and that combat wise it takes a much harder challenge to provide experience than it used too.  (Ex : My level 10 caliban barely got any experience for fighting through the den of loup-garou werewolves near the Village.)  Oddly though the rate of leveling feels about the same as ever.

In the long run though, I really don't care about the xp progression.  Unless I'm on the new dawns message.  That puts me in a frenzy to get the character leveled, I dungeon and RP fanatically.  But overall, xp doesn't much matter, save to push my characters closer to that level 20 deadline where I figure its time to retire them.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
I have only noticed things with my new characters. I have not had as much time to play but even so I do seem to be leveling more slowly with the new character. Not getting any XP for things at a certain level now also makes it seem slower. For example my 8th level sorcerer does not get any XP for rats anymore and I just got good enough to be able to hunt them too.  So I'm back to only adventuring when I need gold, the same with my high level characters.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 02:16:41 AM »
One should keep in mind that XP rewards are actually balanced towards groups.

Anyway, I just checked the XP cap condition of about 15 players, and only three seemed to gain slower than what the progression allows over a period, where the two of them were only marginally below that point. The third I expect to not have played for long, since it appeared like there had been no XP gain at all.

A possible explanation of why some experience gaining levels at lower levels has become slower might be because before, the soft cap was really pushed low, giving a sort of temporary "being-ahead", but over time, it would still even itself out.

mayvind

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »
well not getting proud message any more, unless you remove that message i cant get it through combat. and iam not cap since i just return from long absence. And trust me iam good in getting maximum XP for my characters.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
I'll toss in my feedback.

My character at this time is a Mul, and so that will affect xp gain by default.

Proud and satisified messages are regular, but this is due to the fact that I tend to enjoy high-risk adventuring with relatively small-parties that are about in the same level range. That is really when the fun factor from the risk and the xp gain are aligned, since as a small group you are able to take on challenging areas, sometimes even areas that are designed for higher levels.

I've not had a single cap on the Mul, but that might also be due to that I don't play everyday or for very long durations when I do.

mayvind

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
correction i manage to hit a proud .. after looooong battle which i almost died from it !  :mrgreen: seem it is harder now to earn XP ... oh well :)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »
Recently I created a new character.. So I could take a break on inserting so much Dansk for Asta, makes ones brain hurt after prolonged playing :P anyway She is a chatterbox halfing and as she rarely has a reason to rest besides the obligartory night time sleep she just continues to talk away with whom ever she is around. I was earning bucket loads of RP XP with her as a result and I hit a proud message once she did take time to rest. But on the same token she now has an XP cap.. I have admit I was.. Huh? Only been playing her for like two days, what gives? :P

There must be big change to RP XP to warrant a cap only after maybe an hour real time of RP  :shock:

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
Me and three more casters went in a venture in the Vampyre Crypts. I Managed a Proud after dozens of Vampire Warriors, Rogues, Sorcerers and Priests.

I mean: literally dozens.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
Recently I created a new character.. So I could take a break on inserting so much Dansk for Asta, makes ones brain hurt after prolonged playing :P anyway She is a chatterbox halfing and as she rarely has a reason to rest besides the obligartory night time sleep she just continues to talk away with whom ever she is around. I was earning bucket loads of RP XP with her as a result and I hit a proud message once she did take time to rest. But on the same token she now has an XP cap.. I have admit I was.. Huh? Only been playing her for like two days, what gives? :P

There must be big change to RP XP to warrant a cap only after maybe an hour real time of RP  :shock:

The change to RP XP should have been minor - I'm not sure what could explain your observation, but I'll be looking at it.

Me and three more casters went in a venture in the Vampyre Crypts. I Managed a Proud after dozens of Vampire Warriors, Rogues, Sorcerers and Priests.

Do you recall what level you and your party members were?

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
I'll have to correct myself, it was more like three hours maybe four in real time RP... Sorry but I'm a terrible judge of time, and distance for that matter. Anyway it was done during the treck from Vallaki to the village and then back.. So however long that takes at a walking pace.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »

Do you recall what level you and your party members were?
[/quote]

Everyone level 12. One cleric, one ranger and two wizards.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
Really? Really? Ever since the XP message thing, Werner seemed to have leveled faster even though I was RPing less. The last segment of level 18 didn't take anywhere near as long as the other segments. (Not that I know how those segments work. Are they evenly portioned segments?)

Nemien got from level 2 to level 3 in 2 days without any combat xp I can think of.

Durak, over 2-3 days is still level 2, ahs done a lot of fighting, and a fair amount of roleplaying. He's still 2nd level.

Personaly, from py perspective it would seem like xp gain has been slower this last half a week to a week. I don't mind a slower rate of xp, as that helps ease the learning curve. The most common time that characters die is 3rd or 4th level. Either just before they get to 3rd, and want to push themselves for that little bit more to gain the level, or just afterwards when there's false confidence because they're not used to their new abilities yet. This has been known to happen around 4th too but nowhere near as much as 3rd. Since this server starts everyone at level 2, then 4th is probably rhe danger zone.

And what's this "Proud Message" everyone's going on about?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:51:15 PM by Nemien Callishan »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
I got one proud message recently: I rested in the doors of alhoon, buffed, entered, cleaned the entire first floor (three stone golens, 10 helmed horror, something like 15 doom guards, 15 hypnos magen and the skeleton dwarves and giant skeleton).

I'm a level 12 cleric and I'm in "strong surge to learn".

@Nemien: The rest text has some graduations "close to nothing happened", "you haven't been inactive", "satisfied", "quite satisfied" and "proud".

In my gaming experience, you need 4 proud to go one XP cap above (for instance, from "strong surge to learn" to "whatever the mist").

Moridan_X

• New to the Mists
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
hai guiz. i liek to type in really long paragraphs that usually fill up the chat box and overflow into another chat section. my question is:

Does this gain me more xp, or should i just crap my rp up and just enter in one sentence at a time?

I can't say that this will change the way I type, but I'm curious if I'm actually being rewarded for typing in paragraphs like this:

1.)"I believe the best course of action for this particular party would be to explore the depths of the crypts beneath the temple and eradicate the disturbances that the matron has concerns over. Lets prepare ourselves by spreading around our healing mixtures of various qualities, and enhance our weapons through magics, then we shall head in and slaughter the fiends as if we were the plague, and not them."

rather than this:

2.)"hai guiz. lets kill. -----next line---- lets go to the crypts."
Maze'ukt Rhiakshaz

Witches of Sin

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »
To an extend, yeah, though I'd prefer not giving away too many details on this part of the system to prevent speculation in it.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 11:17:34 PM »
To an extend, yeah, though I'd prefer not giving away too many details on this part of the system to prevent speculation in it.
LOL everyone will be typing book long responses now that you said that.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella