You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: running choppy  (Read 7007 times)

superman300038

• Undead Master
running choppy
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
    Hey I havent played in about 3 1/2 months but turned it on last night and today and I am running choppy.  Sometimes worse and sometimes not so bad, but still choppy.  Has there been any new update I would have missed and therefore now I have this problem?  Thanks.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: running choppy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
Disable Realtek Audio.

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
Could be lots of things...I assume you have Windows?  What video card?  How much system memory?

The problem could be due to something else on your system besides NWN.  Do you have more programs or services running in the background now?  What changes have been made on the system in the 3.5 month period?

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »
I'd have to look into any changes, I was away from home.  I'll start inquiring though, thanks.  Oh!  We did get a router, and now share the connection between two computers.  Could that be the culprit?

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
I do not know for sure, but I doubt it.  The network is probably not a bottleneck...assuming you have cable/dsl?

My guess is it is most probably related to lack of system memory or some sort of issue with the video hardware/software.

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »
My son likes to play his 360 wile I'm on and we have a wireless setup so i feel your pain. Also make sure its password protected or your neighbors laptop will lag you.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
I dont know how much this matters but I played the game online, then offline, then online.  Offline ran just fine, online remained choppy.  Narrow down the possibilities any?

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:01 AM »
I dont know how much this matters but I played the game online, then offline, then online.  Offline ran just fine, online remained choppy.  Narrow down the possibilities any?

Did you run the same things offline and online?  I mean...you can't run PotM offline AFAIK.  And it uses different texture sets, etc.  Assuming you ran the same things offline and online, then yea your test is valid.  Looks like a network issue.  You are connecting wirelessly or wired?  Can you try connecting to the router with an ethernet cable and doing the test again?

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:28:10 AM »
I use a wire which plugs into the modem/router.  I had not run the same thing, I just started new game on NWN.  Im not aware of any upgrades that came out in the time I was gone though.. if I am correct, is there any way to fix this issue?  And thank you all very much for the responses.

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:24:19 AM »
If you ran different things offline and online then the test is not so valid I think..

The new game in offline may use different tiles, textures, etc.  Whereas online PotM uses maybe tiles, textures, whatever that are higher.

Could you try plugging your computer directly into the cable/dsl modem and re-testing?

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
I'm having the same issue right now. I had to reformat and i've got the same specs now. Before the game ran great, but after the reformat i can't seem to get rid of the chop, I need some suggestions on how to fix the problem.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm having a similar problem -- whenever I log in, I get a framerate of about one frame per second, at most.  I've cleared the overrides, done two reinstalls, and re-downloaded both the CEP and POTM haks.  Nothing solves it.
Plus, it's only POTM that does this.  Other PWs, the NWN campaigns, and even a custom module made using the hak order from the Item Request Thread all run fine, but POTM runs like pitch through a funnel.

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
Having PoTM withdrawals here. Need techy help. Anyone!?!?

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Disable Realtek Audio.
What is the exact method for carrying this out and having new sound, do i need a new sound card?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
Disable Realtek Audio.
What is the exact method for carrying this out and having new sound, do i need a new sound card?

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions?  For those of us who don't have Realtek and are still having problems...

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
This sucks.. I wanna tear it up on Dougan but can't...  :banghead:

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »
Well I do not believe it is my router anymore.  I plugged my computer back into the modem.. though I did not restart my computer when I did, only the modem.  Don't know if that matters.  Anyone, Im going to be running virius scans and all that good stuff.. the computer in general seems to run slower, when the internet is used in any way.  Though I run on a cabel modem sooo... any ideas?

To add to this I am recieving and sending over a million 'packets' as far as my internet connectivity goes.. no clue what that means, but sounds good to my ignorant self.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:42:08 PM by superman300038 »

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 02:25:09 AM »
If anyone's graphics are slightly choppy, try going into options > sound options > and changing the applications that is running sound.

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »
My AVG anti virus scan turned up nothing, and I updated.  I'll try tinkering with sound options.  Thank you.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
I would try running the game with the sound disabled as a test. If the chop goes away when you play the game with no sound, you will know it is the cause. If the game plays better, head down to the nearest computer store and buy a sound card.  Before you purchase a sound card, check that you have an available slot for the sound card. Installation is easy, and can be accomplished with a Phillips screw driver (magnetic works best).

To disable sound
 Control panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Hardware Tab > Locate and highlight audio device in list (Realtec is common on board sound) > Click on properties> Select disable and click Okay.

superman300038

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »
I've been trying alot of things; now the game seems to run fine - until i encounter others.  Then the lag or chop (your preference) begins.  Any thoughts?

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »
Holy el crappo.  :shock:

I updated windows 7, which I had not done in a long time. Same with my Radeon ATI 6900 video cards' driver and what a mistake that was. :S

I try to run the game now and it runs so choppy, its unbearable, cannot even see the PC's animation when they walk. On top of that, I see graphic glitches on the screen.

Tried disable sound, running compatible mode and so far, nada.

Halp. :(

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
I updated windows 7, which I had not done in a long time. Same with my Radeon ATI 6900 video cards' driver and what a mistake that was. :S

Catalyst 12 series breaks NWN a little, the easiest solution may be just going with 11 series for the time being.

Alternatively also disabling 'surface optimization' for the NWN application in the catalyst control center allegedly fixes it.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Geiger

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
I had the same thing happen recently. Running it in compatibility mode and as admin helped me a lot. As in, it was pretty good! Try that.

Blackthorn51

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
There is a freeware program you can download called IOBOTs Game Booster.  Use it.  Its helped me a lot when playing on my Windows 7 Laptop.