You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New mist travel system  (Read 8309 times)

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
Re: New mist travel system
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
We discussed the system last night and decided that we are going to implement a feature that allows people to instantly set the caravan in motion from inside the wagon, so they don't have to wait the three minutes to take off. That'll reduce the forced travelling time to 3 minutes only.

That sounds like it will help out a great deal! Thanks.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
we are also hoping to add the possibility of random encounters when travelling through the mists.

I really like this idea  :thumbup:
Seconded :thumbup:

LadyDragn

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
we are also hoping to add the possibility of random encounters when travelling through the mists.

Awesome stuff... few questions though. :)

How will that effect say someone who is travelling to meet someone else? Will the encounters be hostile? If so, will they be level based on the ones travelling?

Reason for asking is, there are times when players are stuck alone trying to get somewhere to meet their group, and I expect there would be a bit of a huff if someone who was just trying to get somewhere who had limited time was hit with a random encounter only to be overpowered and killed.

:)

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »
If the random encounter ports you to a special encounter area there would also be the issue possibly having your body trapped in an area that people can only get to "randomly"
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »
If the random encounter ports you to a special encounter area there would also be the issue possibly having your body trapped in an area that people can only get to "randomly"

Yeah, there's a ton of things to consider when implementing such a system, so it's not anything you will see implemented rashly either.

I can share that on longer terms, we are planning to open up for mist travel on your own, through a large sort of labyrinth of mist areas. If we add random encounters for the wagon, it would be forward to make them situate you somewhere within that labyrinth. I'll make no promises of the time frame of all this however, but I do promise we'll be there to listen to what concerns you have of it by then.

Update with bell is ready in half an hour or so. :)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:27 PM »
I am curious in these random encounters, perhaps one could find NPC ezrites. As Ezrites can travel the mists, it is one of the abilities Ezra gives her followers. These areas could be one of the areas Ezrites can go when/if they mist walk themselves.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »

Thirded..umm is that really bad english ?

I must say however that the constant tweaking of the game evirons is a credit to the whole team & I just wish my sister would marry Soren.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »

Thirded..umm is that really bad english ?

I must say however that the constant tweaking of the game evirons is a credit to the whole team & I just wish my sister would marry Soren.

Are you saying your sister likes to be "tweaked"?   :lol:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

LadyDragn

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
LOL...

Ahem. Speaking of travels. When will Hazlan be implemented into the Caravan travel? Or has that been done already and I just didn't notice?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
its not using the caravan atleast

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »
Good job on this. For what can I say, nice nice job. Looking forward for the new things in the cooking pot...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
Agreed. Despite the obvious drawbacks that have already been addressed, I really think this was a very nice addition.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
Nice job, adding to the immersion a bit.

Next time, add it to IRL time and virtual reality! :D

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »
LOL...

Ahem. Speaking of travels. When will Hazlan be implemented into the Caravan travel? Or has that been done already and I just didn't notice?

Soon.

EO is taking over the project, as I don't have the time to put into it at the moment.  :D

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
There are some coaches in the market i believe don't know if there still there but it would be nice to have a carriage from valk to midway, then from there to the vistani camp or the village. If you want to increase the players in the port, cutting out that run would be a good way to do it.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »
hazlaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn WAR YAY!
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
There are some coaches in the market i believe don't know if there still there but it would be nice to have a carriage from valk to midway, then from there to the vistani camp or the village. If you want to increase the players in the port, cutting out that run would be a good way to do it.

There is the ferry to Midway. Plus...

"Most commoners in Barovia travel on foot, though the rugged terrain can make journeys arduous if one ventures off the maintained highways and roads. [...] Horsemanship is not especially practical in the mountainous regions, though it thrives in the hill country of the west" [GAZ.1, p.22]

Most travel of wares is with caravans with oxen, but there is no mention of carriages. Adding to this, western side of Barovia is Krezk, Zeidenburg, Vallaki is at the centre of the realm, Village of Barovia east, and they are mountain areas.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »
Yet, I have seen coaches before. When I went to hazlan before, that was how one went there via coaches, though I do remember that one of the coaches being driven by the vistani so that probably had some effect to it.  But this is a neat system, and I can't wait to see hazlan. The grand church of the lawgiver is one of the most cool looking churches made in game.  8)

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
All this talk is making me wonder something...
Is the 'empty' carriage common knowledge?

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »

There is the ferry to Midway. Plus...

"Most commoners in Barovia travel on foot, though the rugged terrain can make journeys arduous if one ventures off the maintained highways and roads. [...] Horsemanship is not especially practical in the mountainous regions, though it thrives in the hill country of the west" [GAZ.1, p.22]

Most travel of wares is with caravans with oxen, but there is no mention of carriages. Adding to this, western side of Barovia is Krezk, Zeidenburg, Vallaki is at the centre of the realm, Village of Barovia east, and they are mountain areas.
All true but, the ferry is never there because it seems like its always winter to me. The commoners must be crazy to travel on foot with all the random encounters.
Dire riding goats for everyone!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
speaking of the ferry and the caravans, can we do the same with the ferry and the boat between Dem and Blaustein?

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »
I finally got to try it since the update its much better being able to start the caravan from inside!  Its still a bit of a frustrating wait when trying to get from one domain to another but it will not be so bad when traveling with others. 

Inside the caravan at night though, its the darkest as I have seen anywhere on the server, could there be a lantern put in to provide some light?

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »
Need more noise when traveling its to smooth and boring for a carriage/wagon ride, its more like being in hells waiting room than a carriage.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
Well, they are discussing the concept of random encounters, I think.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
I don't know if this is possible or not. However, I think it would be better if a little camera shake animation was added. Just a little bit, a wagon ride is not excactly a smooth one. Other wise I like this new method.  :mrgreen: