You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New mist travel system  (Read 8308 times)

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
New mist travel system
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:12:19 PM »
Interesting idea, great for traveling with a party... extremely annoying when traveling alone.  As someone who tries to play according to setting by staying inside all night, every night, I find that 12 minutes to go from Port-a-Lucine to Barovia somewhat excessive.  Could the time be shorter? Something like a 1 minute wait before the caravan leaves (instead of three) and a two minute transit time (again instead of three)?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: New mist travel system
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
Hehe...I haven't used it while being alone, and can understand it can be annoying (lonely) like that. But with the company I had it was nice, creating a funny "dentist waiting room" feeling.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:13:41 PM »
12 min [drools] I wouldnt complain about that sounds awsome. Besides if you ever played EQ and rode the boats you would know true pain. :)

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
How does it work?  He took my 100 fangs and didn't transport me?  What do i have to do to get to the mist camp?

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
12 min [drools] I wouldnt complain about that sounds awsome. Besides if you ever played EQ and rode the boats you would know true pain. :)

Yes, I love it when a game forces me to not play....  :?

Anyway, you have to get inside the caravan next to the captain before your 3 minutes is up.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:10:09 AM »
The transition sometimes is covered by npcs like dogs or chickens. I lost 100 coins too the first time  I tried.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:46 AM »
Interesting idea, great for traveling with a party... extremely annoying when traveling alone.  As someone who tries to play according to setting by staying inside all night, every night, I find that 12 minutes to go from Port-a-Lucine to Barovia somewhat excessive.  Could the time be shorter? Something like a 1 minute wait before the caravan leaves (instead of three) and a two minute transit time (again instead of three)?

Well, you hit the nail on the head with a dilemma here. Between great for travelling with a party and annoying when travelling alone, I prefer the former having some priority. The values are not set in stone however, but I'd like to hear a more general opinion when it's been running like this for a bit.

The transition sometimes is covered by npcs like dogs or chickens. I lost 100 coins too the first time  I tried.

Hmm, I'lll look at that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:42:08 AM by Zarathustra217 »

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
With covered I meant not properly visibile, once one knows where the spot is there should be no issue.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Limited play time + trying to get to friends in other domains + wasted time waiting alone before you can even really start to head toward them....

The math is not all that difficult.

LadyDragn

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »
Gave it a shot myself, and honestly the wait time is a bit long especially when travelling alone. I found myself rather than roleplaying by myself, or staring at the inside of the carriage, windowing out because it was less than enjoyable for me.

I mean, we're talking 3 minutes just for the caravan to leave and then 12 minutes travel time? That's 30 minutes round trip and like Aahz said not everyone has the entire day to play so that 30 minutes really cuts into being able to arrive at the destination and enjoy the roleplay there.

Just my thoughts... cut down the time to 5 minutes total once the trip is paid for. That allows for some decent roleplay while players wait for the departure, but not too much time between point A to point B.

:)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
Gave it a shot myself, and honestly the wait time is a bit long especially when travelling alone. I found myself rather than roleplaying by myself, or staring at the inside of the carriage, windowing out because it was less than enjoyable for me.

I mean, we're talking 3 minutes just for the caravan to leave and then 12 minutes travel time? That's 30 minutes round trip and like Aahz said not everyone has the entire day to play so that 30 minutes really cuts into being able to arrive at the destination and enjoy the roleplay there.

Just my thoughts... cut down the time to 5 minutes total once the trip is paid for. That allows for some decent roleplay while players wait for the departure, but not too much time between point A to point B.

Travel time is three minutes, waiting time is three minutes, making it six minutes total. But if you have to go from VoB to say Dementlieu, you have to travel two times (first to the mist camp, then to Dementlieu), making it a total of twelve minutes, which is what Aahz referred to, I believe.

LadyDragn

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
Oh. Well, that's not so bad.... I suppose with it being 1am in the morning I was just tired and it "felt" longer.. LOL, I mean, that's a good amount of Roleplay time when in a group, cause I know for me it's a pain when travelling to get my companions to roleplay. Its a looong quiet walk to destination. Heh.

But when going alone, say to meet someone in one of the other domains, yeah its a bit long of a wait and kind dull with nothing really happening just to get to the destination where the RP is at.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
I already hate running from Vallaki to the Tser pool just to get to Dementlieu. If I have to sit and wait for that crap... My time in Dementlieu is going to be shortened from almost never to pretty much never.

Oh well. :/

When I have people with me to RP with, we RP and probably last a lot longer than these minutes. But when I'm alone and trying to GET TO SOME RP, more waiting time is NOT WHAT'S NEEDED.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:02:59 PM by Zedrik »

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Kaspar

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
I like the changes. I can see the possible draw backs, but at least people aren't zipping from Barovia to Dementlieu in the span of twenty seconds anymore. It's a /little/ bit more realistic now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:07:50 AM by Peasant »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »
I am curious if this will make even less people wish to go to Dementilieu. It isn't going to effect me as I will still go there. but not sure for others.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
I hope it would make PCs less willing to travel back from the Port & so slowly increse the population there.

The lack of RP in the Port is a problem, but I dont know if this will solve it, saying that I dont know what to suggest.  Limiting mist travel to once a week ? Thereby trapping people there?

I just hope that the new player hub is implimented fairly soon & we can all see the logic in the various changes.

Spoiler: show
Also the new placement for the even deadlier Deamonologist temple

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

I just sent in that update, so expect it in the coming days hopefully. :)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »

I just sent in that update, so expect it in the coming days hopefully. :)

O.o deadlier?! hells a level 15+ party of six people properly setup still has a hard time that i've been there.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Yeah, it'll be bigger and tougher than the current version. A real high end dungeon. :)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »
Sweet i hope it was acomplished without lame time stop!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »
I hope it would make PCs less willing to travel back from the Port & so slowly increse the population there.

The lack of RP in the Port is a problem, but I dont know if this will solve it, saying that I dont know what to suggest.  Limiting mist travel to once a week ? Thereby trapping people there?
I can only guess what you are talking about there... there has been an intended delay placed in the mist travels?
Whatever you may have intended with that, you'll get two primary effects from that:
- even less player population in Dementlieu.
- more player characters standing around n the mist camp with AFK players.

Well, if you had encouraging RP in mind with that, you have just achieved the exact opposite.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »
How about a delay for all mist travels to barovia, but no delays for mist travels to Port?  This would help to provide incentive to travel to Port and also to stay there.

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47:14 AM »

I can only guess what you are talking about there... there has been an intended delay placed in the mist travels?
Whatever you may have intended with that, you'll get two primary effects from that:
- even less player population in Dementlieu.
- more player characters standing around n the mist camp with AFK players.

Well, if you had encouraging RP in mind with that, you have just achieved the exact opposite.

Blimey, why did we ever try to experiment with stuff when you know the facts all along? ;)

We discussed the system last night and decided that we are going to implement a feature that allows people to instantly set the caravan in motion from inside the wagon, so they don't have to wait the three minutes to take off. That'll reduce the forced travelling time to 3 minutes only.

At later, we might make the time depend on where you travel, and we are also hoping to add the possibility of random encounters when travelling through the mists.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:06 AM »
Personally, me and Brian's player, Varyell, love the new travel system. So much so that it reminded me of one of Worm's tilesets that featured scrolling windows. Even made a test/demo mod of it using the Ravenloft haks to see if there was any conflict, then sent it to one of the DMs as a suggestion for even further immersion. Who cares if it takes a while; that's what roleplaying is for in the first place. For the whole duration of our caravan rides to and fro, we did stuff like talk about the gloomy atmosphere of the caravan, to the lack of windows, speculating as to whether it was the Vistani's way to make sure the path through the mists remained their own secret, and then simply use the caravan ride to take a load off and relax after our little misadventures and reflect. We also chatted about it OOC'ly over Ventrilo, how there was potential for ambush scripts, with something leaping out of the mists at the caravan if they were going through perilous lands.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
we are also hoping to add the possibility of random encounters when travelling through the mists.

I really like this idea  :thumbup: