Author Topic: Dementilieu Laws  (Read 13286 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Dementilieu Laws
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
Hello,

I am curious about laws in port-a-Lucine. Unlike Vallaki there are not any laws posted. Now I am curious for what are the general laws that would be known to locals of the Port. I remember reading the Gazetteer III and it mentioned about how Dementilieu does not like Falkovinia and have laws against them.  Now I am wanting to know what sort of laws exist in the port.  While the port seems like the place that those with money and power decide the ways of the city, it also strikes me as a place where there are laws in place too.  So what sort of laws would exist in the port.

-Herkles

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: Dementilieu Laws
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
It is as close to modern democratic legal systems as you will find in the demiplane. Even with known war criminals, such as Falkovnians, they go through the motions of a proper trial. The people in Dementileu are not the superstitious lot you will find in the midieval domains like Barovia, so there will be no laws against magic, or against Calibans, they are looked down upon more than they are feared. The standard laws you would expect exist, the gendarme enforce peace and civility, but of course only the wealthy, and where the wealthy gather and frequent will have a strong enough gendarme presence to keep the peace, and streets free of the riffraff.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »
Weapons and armour are looked down upon too, not so much against the law but the person is viewed as a 'troublemaker' and the gendarme may keep their eyes on them. Armour is seen as a bit backwards and rude in polite society.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Hello, I was thinking about this lately, and I am wondering as dementlieu doesn't have its laws written down somewhere for us to view it if there has been any more thought on what there laws would be. I do have some ideas of what their laws might be like and if the dms would like I can post some of them.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
mostly for my record and confirmation, I am going to post the laws that I know of so far.  There are not many of them though.

:arrow: Falkovinians can not enter public buildings, gazetter III

:arrow: illegal to sell guns to falkovinians along the prey road, gazetter III

:arrow: the punishment for murder is death, EO

:arrow: The punishment for Necromancy is death, EO

:arrow: heavy duty explosives are illegal for the general public, ie bombs, gunpowder kegs. EO

:arrow: all forms of artistic expression is to be done in high mordentish, Gazetter III

:arrow: it is illegal to carry weapons in administrative buildings, IG NPC clerk

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:41:37 AM by herkles »

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
Dementlieu factoids:

:arrow: Multi-faceted aristocratic society with a republic elect, not a democracy since everyone in charge is of noble birth.

:arrow: Lord Governer is supported by the Council of Brilliance, elected nobles in offical positions based in Port-a-Lucine.

:arrow: Widespread literacy, even among the poor with schemes and initiatives to educate and assist the unwashed masses including food drives (As you might notice evidence of IG).

:arrow: Nobles "benevolence" lends them the notion that they're free to use and abuse the poor at whim.

:arrow: Mutual defense pact with Borca, Mordent and Richemulot against Falkovnia

:arrow: Magic is regarded as a "quaint distraction" largely applied to entertainment. Most mages stem from Illusionists and Enchanters.

:arrow: Decorum and ettitquette -very- important in Dementliuse society.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:21:46 PM by Badelaire »

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »

:arrow: Mutual defense pact with Borca, Mordent and Richemulot against Falkovnia

Has a name.
League of Four Nations if i recall correctly.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »
question, would opium and similar drugs be banned in the port, I imagine they would be considering how the opium den is set up. but not sure.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »
mostly for my record and confirmation, I am going to post the laws that I know of so far.  There are not many of them though.

:arrow: Falkovinians can not enter public buildings, gazetter III

What is considered a public building?
Werner only usually visits two buildings in the port (the alchemist and the printers) when he's there (and usually at night), so it's not a huge thing as I knew about the Falkovnians not being welcome in the Port. (Plus the feeling is more or less mutual, Werner doesn't like being in the Port, but it's where his faction HQ is.)
So is public building "any building open to the public"? Or is it "any building owned by the city for public use"?

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
What is considered a public building?
Werner only usually visits two buildings in the port (the alchemist and the printers) when he's there (and usually at night), so it's not a huge thing as I knew about the Falkovnians not being welcome in the Port. (Plus the feeling is more or less mutual, Werner doesn't like being in the Port, but it's where his faction HQ is.)
So is public building "any building open to the public"? Or is it "any building owned by the city for public use"?

A building owned by the Government, so places like the Museum, Ruling Palace, Great Library, Dock Office, Government Food Suppliers and uhm, other areas of the sort.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »
I came up with a little silly law, that was inspired by an old french law.

All books that are produced must have a copy sent to the Grand Library, made up. But I sort of like it.

Also what is the Port's status on opium, legal or not?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »
I came up with a little silly law, that was inspired by an old french law.

All books that are produced must have a copy sent to the Grand Library, made up. But I sort of like it.

Also what is the Port's status on opium, legal or not?

Seeing how well hidden the Opium den is, I would assume obviously not.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

Has a name.
It's called the Treaty of the Four Towers

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
I wasnt sure where to post this but I have a question about bounties!

If say a bounty was posted in Barovia, is it legal to collect it while the subject is in another country? Does it still count? I'm just wondering! Thanks!

Shadowthrone

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

If say a bounty was posted in Barovia, is it legal to collect it while the subject is in another country? Does it still count? I'm just wondering! Thanks!

It wouldn't be recognised by Dementlieu and they would consider it murder. The Barovian authorities wouldn't care where they were found, though.

That's my assumption.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »

It wouldn't be recognised by Dementlieu and they would consider it murder. The Barovian authorities wouldn't care where they were found, though.

That's my assumption.

Thats what I thought! Thank you!

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

no, it is not legal. Dementlieu does not follow barovia's laws. Kidnapping or murder is a crime in the port, and the gendarme do not care who you do it to if the person is not a wanted criminal. a criminal in barovia is not one in the port and vice versa.

PiousHeretic

• Undead Slayer
  • "He that is jealous is not in love."
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »

That's my assumption.

Yeah, I think if a group were to illegally smuggle those with a price on their heads into Barovia, the Garda or the Count wouldn't care where they got it from; however, it'd be considered murder and you'd probably get your head resting on the guillotine if you were unsuccessful and caught.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
They're two different nations with no formal ties to each other.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »

Has a name.
It's called the Treaty of the Four Towers

The Treaty of the Four Towers (a treaty) establishes Borca, Mordent, Dementlieu, and Richemulot as the members of the League of Four Nations (an alliance).

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
I want to know what people think of these laws? I made them up. :shifty:

:arrow: Anti-governmental material is illegal to be printed and solicited throughout the Republic
 :arrow: All books that are produced must have a copy sent to the Grand Library
 :arrow: With respect to wine, oil, and other things which persons are in the habit of tasting before making purchase thereof, there is no sale so long as the purchaser have not tasted or approved of them.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
First one contradicts canon.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
ah, how does it contridict canon? and what of the other 2 laws, I got them from old french laws heh

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
ah, how does it contridict canon? and what of the other 2 laws, I got them from old french laws heh

There is freedom of speech to an extent in Dementlieu, but in terms of arts and culture, well, the Councilor of the Arts also happens to be one of the top and most respected critics of the arts so if he boos something, it is doomed to failure.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
yea, I figured there was freedom of speech, but if you were to say start publishing things that supported a revolution, or things that were saying the goverment is rotten and so forth than I doubt the council would just allow that to happen. Of course it maybe that this is more of a de facto rule than a de jure rule.