You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: ...adding to Cleric Domains available...  (Read 4193 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
...adding to Cleric Domains available...
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:02 AM »
I searched the forums, because I know there have been threads about Cleric Domains before... but just decided to make a new topic, not finding the one that I remember.

Is it possible, pardon,  is it feasible to add to the cleric domains list?
Primarily I have always wondered why Law and Chaos domains are missing, being as they are alignment based.
The Ravenloft cleric domains of Repose, Mist, etc would be great too.

and this is much less in relation to PotM and just to NWN in general, but...

custom feats, custom spells, custom classes and prestige classes....  is it possible to make these?
If anyone has some tutorials/online knowledge base about how to make these types of things, I find myself motivated to see what is possible with this, the ultimate of customizable games.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: ...adding to Cleric Domains available...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »
I think they are short in personnel. Forgive me if I happen to be wrong, but people want a lot of features, and the server has it's "priorities", but there are some things that are priority for the player base, perhaps those things could be arranged if they had more personnel. I'd become a volunteer and accept training if the PotM staff happens to be considering hiring new personal to help with developing and other stuff that does involve working on the tool set. I know almost nothing about the toolset but I have experience in some few programming languages. Even though I'll need training I'm whiling to help if need be.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:36:42 AM »
Yeah, the question I am asking is not one of whether there is enough manpower and motivation to do such,  but rather is it something that can be done, and would be able to be added to what we already run with minimal fuss.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
It can be done, because those things exist "out there". But only they know how would it settle here :S

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
Wile your at it add all the pathfinder campain setting domains please. mmm fire domain and clerics with fireballs...drool

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »
The main reason I added the (should be in the tech discussion probably) part about the custom feats/spells/classes being possible is because the Law and Chaos domains would be best with having Protection from Chaos and Protection from Law spells at level 1. Since there is Pfe and Pfg and I know items that grant AC bonuses against Law and Chaos, it would seem to me to be a relatively easy couple of spells to custom make, to go with those two domains. I am just wishfully thinking aloud though, and in no way am I making anything more than a cautious inquiry.

To be completely accurate, all Cleric domains add a spell per level to the list, and in many cases differ from the actual Domain spells in dnd mainly because the spells are nigh useless except in roleplay,  such as the Plant domains spell to help crops grow healthier and more fruitful.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:57:17 AM by Emomina »

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:30:14 AM by Amon-Si »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:10:20 AM »
I think EO was over a year ago working on the domains for the Lawgiver, not sure how thats going

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
Mmmm.......Weave & mist domains.. :cloud9:

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
The problem EO ran into was that in multiplayer mode haks aren't loaded until you've entered the module--in other words, AFTER you've created your character--so the custom domains couldn't be selected because you can only pick them at level 1. The only workaround is to make an override package, but there's no way to require overrides to be present to enter the module like haks, so people who don't download the override can't pick the domains, or will have weirdness ensue around characters who do have them, etc. It's an overall technical mess due to NWN1's engine.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
The problem EO ran into was that in multiplayer mode haks aren't loaded until you've entered the module--in other words, AFTER you've created your character--so the custom domains couldn't be selected because you can only pick them at level 1. The only workaround is to make an override package, but there's no way to require overrides to be present to enter the module like haks, so people who don't download the override can't pick the domains, or will have weirdness ensue around characters who do have them, etc. It's an overall technical mess due to NWN1's engine.

But there's a relatively simple "workaround": If you play a cleric and want the custom domains, download the overrides. If you don't play a cleric or don't want the custom domains, don't download the overrides. That's how it works on one other server I used to frequent. I never encountered any trouble between characters whose players had the overrides and those who didn't.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
Or yer like me and download everything on the download page :D

Sig by Garison

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:54 AM »

Great explanation Blue, thanks. Shame though.

I have to assume that if you had customed feats, classes and spells, then the same thing would apply to them too then. 

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Or yer like me and download everything on the download page :D

My method of choice too.   :lol:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Psyche

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
Bundle the override with the auto installer / manual install pack

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
Since most new players wisely choose true outlanders over Core natives as their first toon, I dont think there would be any problem with having such bundles in override folders.

Its something I would love to see 7 would be willing to ptu up with the genral "wierdness" that comes with such things.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
Overrides wouldnt work either. You need a launcher program because it uses specific resrefs. Such a program is somewhat troublesome as it's external to NwN.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Overrides wouldnt work either. You need a launcher program because it uses specific resrefs. Such a program is somewhat troublesome as it's external to NwN.

I've never got why these programs are supposedly troublesome.. They aren't. It's beyond me why usage of overrides overall seems to be such a challenge; Since on servers that make extensive use of them, I've never personally encountered any problems with it. It's a slight bit of extra trouble to get used to and to maintain, but the trouble is insignificant in comparison to overall time the average person spends to playing NWN.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »

I've never got why these programs are supposedly troublesome.. They aren't. It's beyond me why usage of overrides overall seems to be such a challenge; Since on servers that make extensive use of them, I've never personally encountered any problems with it. It's a slight bit of extra trouble to get used to and to maintain, but the trouble is insignificant in comparison to overall time the average person spends to playing NWN.

I have yet to find any server using high modification such as that to be very long lived. Too much trouble to get in going makes for less new faces on the server.

CallMeWhatYouWant

• New to the Mists
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 07:22:24 AM »

I have yet to find any server using high modification such as that to be very long lived. Too much trouble to get in going makes for less new faces on the server.

I must agree with this, I have been involved with two previous persistant worlds.

The first one used basic CEP and was a blast there was always a good mix of RP'ers and Powergamers, passing traffic and dieheards - you need a mix to avoid inbreeding and stagnation:)

After a few years we closed that server and tried a more ambitious project ( it was still  pre CEP 2 / 1.69 version), coincidently this was also a Ravenloft server. We had large haks, rideable horses, firearms and all manner of pretties - the problem was we only had a small population of diehards that would invest in the massive download (> 1GB) to play on the server. And although a fun project that lasted a while, the server has been closed for a number of years now.

The point is if you make it too hard to play you will lose out on the passing traffic that keeps things fresh.
Acolyte Stephanie Foxgrove, Church of the Pure Heart (Mordent)

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
Servers like the Ways Inn and Escaped From the Underdark use overrides and it has worked quite well.  EFU has lasted for years and they have customized domains, protection against law and chaos spells, all without a single hak.  I don't quite see how it's impossible, unless it poses a problem to how PoTM is already set up

.  But there's nothing preventing NWN from it, because I've seen it done myself quite successfully.
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »
Servers like the Ways Inn and Escaped From the Underdark use overrides and it has worked quite well.

I was actually referring to these two examples myself too.  :P