You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Not sure if this is the right place  (Read 2306 times)

Enarchen

• New to the Mists
Not sure if this is the right place
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
The description said something about using this category for issues about reward matching challenges.

My rogue is level 5, DEX 17, Open Lock 11. I took him into the cave next to the Lake just outside Degannwy tonight, which was full of Decrepit Skeletons this time. The spawns were effortless for him, but I went ahead and killed the cave out anyway to make room for the next spawns, and looted the area while I was at it. Rather, I tried to loot the area. There were two areas that I was not skillful enough to pick. The area behind the barred door in the eastern room, and the chest at the extreme southern end of the cave.

I doubt that I missed out on anything, since the other loot topped out at a padded armor and a studded armor. It's just that with a level 5 rogue, who has a Open Lock skill of 11 and a DEX of 17, who was also wearing a Locksmith's belt - I didn't expect to encounter locks that I wasn't able to handle in a cave stocked with decrepit skeletons. I mean, if my guy had been a barbarian warrior I might have seen the point. But in that case he might have been able to break the chests open. Unfortunately, my rogue has a STR of 12, since I put all his points into DEX.

Am I wrong, or is this a bit odd?

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Not sure if this is the right place
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
And so again this is brought back. I heard the DCs were even more hard to beat, then developers decided to lower it a bit.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »
What was the DC?  it could not have been much more than what he could open, right?  Cats grace, and lock picks would probably close the gap.

This is just an offer....
If your thief would like benifit from learning some tricks of the (thieving) trade from someone ICly, its some RP that I have been really wanting to do, but have never had a good fit for pupil.
If that would interest you, let me know.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:06 PM »
Yes locks in many places are very hard to pick always have been. Your playing the hardest class to play in potm. As for the monsters they start out wussy and the longer there left alone the harder they become.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Enarchen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:59 PM »
I am not complaining. After all, it wasn't as if I went in there for the money anyway. If I need money I will do other things. (And by the way, I would love to get together and learn from a master thief, ma'am. Just let me know how you want to arrange a meeting. I will send you a tell in game some time.)

I only mentioned it when I read the description on this category about risk vs. reward, or whatever. I know level 5 isn't that much. But since the server only goes up to 20, he isn't really a complete greenhorn anymore either. And an Open Lock skill of 11 is not exactly amateur class. I mean really, it isn't. Not for level 5. The cave is usually loaded with things like bats, or beetles, or rarely low level bandits. On rare occasions I have seen ghouls. Even the ghouls are easy to swat for my rogue. If a low level rogue can solo the cave, it can't be considered anything but a newbie dungeon. Can it?

It just struck me as odd. That's all. It was almost as if somebody was playing a joke or something. Lay out this level 1-4 dungeon, then toss in a level 7 lock just for giggles.

I don't know. Like I said, the other loot was nothing exciting anyway. I usually make a lot more in a day's mink hunting. It was just a touch disconcerting, and yes it was also a touch irritating.

I have taken this guy to the bottom of the Zeklos catacombs and he had no trouble with those locked sarcophagi. I have taken him into the caves west of the outskirts, and the caves in both the west and eastern southern forests. He had no trouble with those locks. He had no trouble with the lock to the orphanage basement. He had no trouble with the lock to the center area of the second level below the ML church in the Outskirts.

In fact, since level 3 he has had no trouble with any other lock anywhere except those two stupid chests in that dinky little newbie cave. It's aggravating. :)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
I think this is because many areas need to be updated after we changed the way DCs work in dynamic spawn systems. Originally we had to set the full DC on the spawn point, but the system was recently revised to have a bonus added (or penalty subtracted) based on the strength of the monsters spawning in the area. This means that if a chest was given DC 25 locks in the old system, the new system then adds on top of that (to a max of 20, I think), creating ridiculously high DCs. If you can give me the exact name of the area I can go in and re-adjust the DCs to a more appropriate level. :)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
In the mean time, maybe Enarchen should explore the Helaman "I'm stuck in the wall" area?   :lol:

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »
In the mean time, maybe Enarchen should explore the Helaman "I'm stuck in the wall" area?   :lol:

actually if i'm not mistaken that was fixed by bioware from the 1.69 update :)

Enarchen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »
I think this is because many areas need to be updated after we changed the way DCs work in dynamic spawn systems. Originally we had to set the full DC on the spawn point, but the system was recently revised to have a bonus added (or penalty subtracted) based on the strength of the monsters spawning in the area. This means that if a chest was given DC 25 locks in the old system, the new system then adds on top of that (to a max of 20, I think), creating ridiculously high DCs. If you can give me the exact name of the area I can go in and re-adjust the DCs to a more appropriate level. :)

On entry it said "Southern Forest - Lake - Forest Cave".