Author Topic: The wonderful adventures of CiaranII and his new computer "Gwyneth"  (Read 5649 times)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Let's start with this:

Processor:     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory:            2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:    1 TB Total
Video Card:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Sound Card:     Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System:    Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

Since when I bought it last Christmas this computer has not had the performances I would have expected, not just with NWN or POTM but in general. Since it's still under guarantee I'm just going to the store and speak to the guys who made/assembled it.

Now I tell you what my problems have been so far:

a) When using a music player (I-Tunes specifically) the game becomes very laggy.
b) the FPS, unless playing it at MINIMUM settings, don't go past 40, but they're usually around the range 5-20.
c) point b) happens also with other games (Sims3 and Dragon Age have really bad performances even with low graphic settings).
d) when checking in task manager the core used by NWN goes to 100% of usage, but the overall CPU usage is 25%.
e) some other games simply don't even run.

I have tried whatever all the people here, in game, or in my X-fire have suggested and still I don't see MUCH difference between "Gwyneth" and my very old computer "Puppuccio" (a pentium IV, 1 GB RAM, crappy base NVIDIA graphic card). No fixes. My clues at this point are these, and this is also what I will ask for the guys at the store to do:

I) Uninstalling XP for Windows 7, possibly the graphic card can have some incompatibility with the OS since it's definitely newer, and it can receive also more updates (like the DirectX).
II) Having some more RAM, maybe 1 or 2 more GB so to improve performances overall.
III) Uninstalling the Realtek sound card and having installed a separate one (maybe a Soundmax with which I had never issues with my older computers).

These are going to be my "strategies" in the next few days. Any suggestions? I will keep you updated.

F.

http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Re: The wonderful adventures of CiaranII and his new computer "Gwyneth"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:12:23 AM »
PCs are like women. If you are not sure exactly what you're doiing, it all goes to hell :p
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »
This is why HER name is Gwyneth...

jimkaf

• Always wanted to be the One, True,
  • Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:49:53 AM »
1) Make sure you have the option about CPU Affinity on nwn's .ini file set properly since you have a multi-core CPU.

2) I strongly suggest a little more RAM since looking at the rest of the PC's specs it does seem a little lacking there.

3) I strongly suggest using some other media player instead of iTunes unless you really need it. I know it's a popular one however there are so many alternatives as far as media players go, especially if you don't buy music online etc. Fancy interfaces and programs that weren't originally designed for PCs can be taxing.

4) I strongly recommend windows 7. Personally I've been running Windows 7 in like 6 different PCs since the very first leaked version and haven't had any kind of serious problems. Instead they seem to run better.

Despite all the above it still strikes me as odd that you have performance problems. Your PC should be running all sorts of stuff effortlessly unless there's some actual problem/conflict with the hardware and/or drivers.
Active PC: Skender Vacarescu [NWN Portrait Download]

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:52:46 AM »
1) Make sure you have the option about CPU Affinity on nwn's .ini file set properly since you have a multi-core CPU.

Done

2) I strongly suggest a little more RAM since looking at the rest of the PC's specs it does seem a little lacking there.

Yeah if I can add some I will.

3) I strongly suggest using some other media player instead of iTunes unless you really need it. I know it's a popular one however there are so many alternatives as far as media players go, especially if you don't buy music online etc. Fancy interfaces and programs that weren't originally designed for PCs can be taxing.

I think you're right on that...

4) I strongly recommend windows 7. Personally I've been running Windows 7 in like 6 different PCs since the very first leaked version and haven't had any kind of serious problems. Instead they seem to run better.

More and more people suggest me that yeah.

Despite all the above it still strikes me as odd that you have performance problems. Your PC should be running all sorts of stuff effortlessly unless there's some actual problem/conflict with the hardware and/or drivers.

Yeah the issue of the conflict also concerns me but what I have tried to fix by myself was always too confusing...

Still waiting to go to the store.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:02:33 AM by +Ciaran+ »

DM Raven

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:54:10 AM »
Well my computers Male, and only trouble i have with it is sorted by giving it a good kick in the @#$$,  this always seems to make it work harder for a while,

I have heard Slaps are always good for that....

However on a side note, Itunes does the same with me slows everything else down, however, i tend to notice that over usage of the computer tends to do the reverse to Itunes and the songs actually slow down, which is actually funny for some songs. Try listening to Pinky and Perky on Itunes slowed down... Sounds aweful...

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
Spoke to the guy and he says it's probably just the graphic card not correctly installed. Updating soon...

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
So it seems I can't put more than 1GB RAM since I've a 32 bit XP. So I ordered a version of Windows 7 and some more 2 GB RAM. And we'll see...

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
You didn't state your RAM completely. Is it DDR3 1333MHz or 1600MHz? I'd suggest having 4GB, nowdays it is more than enough. 2GB is fair though.

Definitively you will run better in Windows 7, I heard that XP doesn't know how to properly use all features of a Quad core.

Don't forget the audio issue, think that Real Teak mofo chip is causing issues, specially with NWN.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
I think it's the faster RAM. I will update it to 4 GB. And yes I will try shortly before taking the computer to the guys, to try disabling the sound card directly by BIOS, and check. In case I am really thinking to have a separate one.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
NU REALTEK AUDIO NU!!!!!!!!!!

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
Realtek Audio....

the favored enemy of the epic level ranger known only as the BlueBomber.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
Realtek Audio....

the favored enemy of the epic level ranger known only as the BlueBomber.
Lets all switch to realtek then send him complaints that realteck is the in thing and we love it.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »
So it seems I can't put more than 1GB RAM since I've a 32 bit XP. So I ordered a version of Windows 7 and some more 2 GB RAM. And we'll see...

that is funny, when i bought my comp like 4 years ago, which was a single core athlon 3200+ (aka 2.0 GHz, running currently on 2.4 in the last 2 years, before it was
2.6GHz) i was told they can only gimme english xp, cuz they have not made hungarian xp 64 available yet (if they even have now). and it would have not worked well
with xp32.
a quad core pentium should have been given with a 64 xp from the start. that might be a problem as well, since as far as i know an xp 32 can neither handle the memory output well (above 4 Gb-s) nor cores more than 2.
My comp is far below your computers output. But still Dragon Age was able to run quite well on low-med settings with sometimes having minor lag spike issues.
(NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 , 256MB)
So i think it is the OS that is holding you back pretty much, and possibly the driver of the graph card.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:16:13 PM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:33 AM »
Yes drivers which cannot be updated too much because of the OS... well I'm waiting for the technicians to call for me and have this update...

jimkaf

• Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
You can also try buying something nice for it. Some UV-light cables, maybe a few fancy stickers and make sure you pat the case every morning. Some computers have been known to respond to that kind of affection! [Nods sagely.]

On a serious note good luck and update us so we can throw some more hints if it doesn't get resolved soon.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »
I start being scared if it doesn't work with Win7...

Any of you geeks knows if I can have installed on the same machine ALSO this WinXP I'm using here now? So that in case I startup in XP...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:54:15 AM by +Ciaran+ »

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »
probably, but why would you do it?, win 7 has built in win xp as far as i know, there is some smartie in it to emulate it if you would need xp:)
//said the IT guy to me, when i asked him what i should take for my upcoming new amd:)//
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

jimkaf

• Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
You can install them both side by side with dual booting. Actually I think with windows 7 that's an option on the very installation itself.
Granted most programs work on Windows 7 but it won't really hurt since you do have ample hard disk size.

As for emulations, the only TRUE emulation of another operating system is if you install a virtual pc program like vmware. The rest while they might solve the odd issue are never guaranteed to work.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
While it does not really make sense for lap top users, I highly recommend swappable hard disk bays for anyone that wants to use newer Operating Systems but enjoy older games. Then, when ever you want to play NWN, just turn off the machine, slide in your XP, and boot up and play. Its why I do.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:46:05 PM by Emomina »
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »
PCs are like women. If you are not sure exactly what you're doiing, it all goes to hell :p

And programming is like sex. Make one little mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

:mrgreen:

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
You know, up until I went to my industrial training I was a programmer. Final year I realised how horrible that is and just switched into analysis, design and people skills. Programming is just so much more fun if you just tell people "Do it this way" and then whine they can't.

P.S. This is kind of a private joke involving almost getting married twice and running away. Instead I became the best man in my mate's wedding.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:00:42 AM by k_moustakas »
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
Gwyneth has come back home with her new bosom (2 GB ram more) and some lifting (Windows 7).

She has been mean since she performed for two times the blue screen of death but it was some incompatible program which I removed.

Then she didn't want me to use Xfire in game, but I cuddled her a bit and fixed.

Now the game is more fluent, and I've not any of the issues some people have mentioned with Win7. After some days of gaming I will be able to know more.

Now Gwyneth needs some rest :)

[EDIT]: She is this now.

Processor:     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory:            4096MB RAM
Hard Drive:    800 GB
Video Card:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Sound Card:    Altoparlanti (Dispositivo High Definition Audio)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Motherboard:     Asus P5KC

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
Gwyneth has retired.

Please, welcome to Ralph, my new -male- GERMAN computer.

Manufacturer:    
MEDIONPC
Processor:    
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory:    
8192MB RAM
Hard Drive:    
966 GB
Video Card:    
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

And the adventure began. It missed a cable for the monitor. It has no plugs for a classic monitor. So rush rush to the shop for a HDMI cable. FOUND! Then... awh, one of the plugs was smaller. Came back to the shop, and the guy said "Hey no, the double shaped things are just for MAC computers", I told that it is not a MAC (though German too, but I didn't say THIS to the clerk), he rummaged and found the cable. Finally, the computer WORKS! Installed NWN and stuff, and it WORKS! Now installing all the other things, I will be back on POTM with Ralph.