You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: How Forgiving are Barovians of Casting  (Read 1693 times)

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
How Forgiving are Barovians of Casting
« on: August 20, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »
Do dings to OCR eventually drop off? I have been caught casting twice. The first time being early on the server when I misconstrued that Barovians were mistrustful of *arcane* magic, as opposed to any cast spell (other than healing). The second time being caught at night near the forest line, with a guard high up on the wall happening to pass at the exact moment. These both presumably account for the +2 to OCR in Barovia and at least one of the dings is from a fair time ago.

Rainor

• Undead Slayer
Re: How Forgiving are Barovians of Casting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:05:59 PM »
OCR will eventually decay with time. However, the first ever +2 from casting will never fade away.
If it causes issues for your character, you'll want to invest in influence and influence gear. Every 6 points of influence lowers OCR by one.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
Every 6 points of influence lowers OCR by one.

Isn't like every 5 ranks instead?

Asous

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »
Every 6 points of influence lowers OCR by one.

Isn't like every 5 ranks instead?

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
Aside from spending (precious) skill points on Influence, I've also read things that hint that certain kinds of IC actions might improve your OCR also, is that correct? This being the Reputation factor in the equation...assuming said actions get noticed.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:40:01 PM by mappinger »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
Anything is possible with a DM, but I wouldn't count on them for this sort of thing. The benevolent outcast doing good works from the shadows is a viable path for a character in this situation, and it's a necessary sacrifice for setting integrity, even if you invest in Influence and/or Stealth gear to continue spending time in OCR-restricted areas.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
I'd just like to understand how OCR can effect people who are disguised, shouldn't they have a new OCR whilst in a disguise, and shouldn't what they do whilst in disguise not effect their OCR?

I got hit the other day for a point or two of OCR while in full ranks, max buffed, disguised character for being caught by a random Garda patrolling the wall on the far side docks of Vallaki, whilst in disguise from head-to-toe.

It seems like the system should be update to take disguise into account.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »
I don't think it interacts with Disguise at all, but I heard something about certain articles of clothing being "marked" with your identity, and you'd need to essentially put together a set of clothing, headgear, and cloak that you only use when "infiltrating" populated places that are predisposed against you. On top of that, you'd have to regularly succeed Influence rolls against NPCs, to prevent them from becoming hostile.

I'm sure there can be a more nuanced approach through the new Disguise skill and it does seem like it would be really useful.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.