Author Topic: Blaustein: Reavers, Reaver Taskmasters, risk vs reward  (Read 2309 times)

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
Blaustein: Reavers, Reaver Taskmasters, risk vs reward
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
Checked out this dungeon for the first time, took a few people in.

These guys are surprisingly tough. The casters fire high DC entagles, while you are locked in melee with Weapon Masters with 18 AB. On top of that, they are spamming Ki-Damage, and hitting for 20-40 damage. Owch. They're also packing around 150-200 HP.

Now, this would be fine, except my party (mainly consisting of 8-13s, and me being 16) rested and got a Close to Nothing Has Happened for clearing the entire place. On top of that, the treasure dropped was about 400 gold worth of random junk.

I'm thinking the Xp challenge rating on this dungeon should be bumped up a little bit for the Max Spawn. It's quite challenging and isn't very rewarding for the difficulty, and the treasure is negligible... Compare this to the Vampire dungeon which can be powered through rather easily at max spawn by a part of this level, and still get respectable experience from it (and great treasure.)
Order of Zarus Forums

Antonus Taran - Zarusian War Chaplain

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: Blaustein: Reavers, Reaver Taskmasters, risk vs reward
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
Antonus' level made the xp gain lowered. The hags mane is the primary reason I ever go there.
But its not a terribly challenging place, especially if your reflex is good. Every class has their own strengths, and reflex save base spell spammers will cause more trouble for clerics than just about anything else. You lose your Dodge and Dexterity AC if you get caught in the entanglement.

The treasure has been quite profitable in my view, there are stacks of golds all over the sea hag's room, and the gems included in the loot are quite high in resell value.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
Antonus' level made the xp gain lowered. The hags mane is the primary reason I ever go there.
But its not a terribly challenging place, especially if your reflex is good. Every class has their own strengths, and reflex save base spell spammers will cause more trouble for clerics than just about anything else. You lose your Dodge and Dexterity AC if you get caught in the entanglement.

The treasure has been quite profitable in my view, there are stacks of golds all over the sea hag's room, and the gems included in the loot are quite high in resell value.

It's possible the dungeon had been ninja-looted beforehand, we did find a body in the treasure chamber - I don't remember any stacks of treasure (Though the body we found had about 5,000 gold on him...!)

The reflex saves weren't a big deal because we all had freedom of movement on of course.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:03:30 PM by Antonus Taran »
Order of Zarus Forums

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
if I remember its a 12-14 area, and difficult is good, the hag mane makes very usefull potions.
and the loot isnt half bad

marlewebber

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:28 AM »
if I remember its a 12-14 area, and difficult is good, the hag mane makes very usefull potions.
and the loot isnt half bad

+1

Kaspar

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
Loot seems fine. Have you tried having your faction clear the place without Antonus there? See if that difference makes any impact, in case Antonus is gimping the xp for the lower levels.

When it comes to loot, I don't think you'd find anything special there as far as inertial belts and hectors cutters are concerned. Though the trinkets and junk are nice to vendor for cash.

jimkaf

• Always wanted to be the One, True,
  • Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »
How much you get off a dungeon also depends on how you turn the loot to gold! Find yourselves a real barterer to handle the conversion of junk to coin! >.>

Otherwise loot can be weird in general. Never know whether a ninja-looter cleared part of the loot and only left the junk behind, happens a lot when I visit places with groups.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:46:39 AM by jimkaf »
Active PC: Skender Vacarescu [NWN Portrait Download]

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »
It's not a matter of ninja looting anyway. It happens, and also not that infrequently, that some dungeons have simply some chests which are locked, trapped, and empty. It might be a bug, or a random, as a matter of fact you cannot know with corpses or loot in piles of gold, which are not pickable, if someone passed there before or not. But it's not something overly weird.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Loot seems fine. Have you tried having your faction clear the place without Antonus there? See if that difference makes any impact, in case Antonus is gimping the xp for the lower levels.

When it comes to loot, I don't think you'd find anything special there as far as inertial belts and hectors cutters are concerned. Though the trinkets and junk are nice to vendor for cash.

Sent em in again. Level 11, 14, 9, and 6. They came out with a 'satisfied,' two of them uncapped. Capped ones got 'somewhat eventful.' Loot was a lot better, the last time was definitely ninja'd.

I'm thinking it's aimed more at 8-12, not 12-14, as far as Xp rewards go. For a level 14, it definitely is not worth the trouble unless you're a potion person. I'm all for risk and difficulty, but I believe it should be risk vs reward. I'm not saying make the dungeon easier, I'm saying maybe make the XP rewards a bit better from it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:41:39 PM by Antonus Taran »
Order of Zarus Forums

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
I said 14 at the top end, because you still get XP, but its fairly easy if you know how too do it.
and I said 12, because those ABs and KI strikes can easily tear most players apart.
Its about the potions, and decent gold rewards, and a few good items, also its the best place too get lockpicks

marlewebber

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »
I forget who I was talking to but I was told this dungeon was for balanced for a party of level 11s or so.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
I'm rebalancing the monsters there for the next update, it should be slightly easier and more appropriate for the level range it's aimed for (10-14).

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »
Last 2 times I went I felt it was balanced enough for a party of 3 (level range 13-11).
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676