Author Topic: Monitor going to Power Saver Mode  (Read 2575 times)

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Monitor going to Power Saver Mode
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
Alright, this has only started happening recently....

I can log in to the server and play for a few minutes and then my monitor switches to Power Saver mode and goes black.  Nothing short of restarting the computer seems to turn the monitor back on.  I have the monitor set to never turn off on Power Saver Mode, and it doesn't do this at any other time except when I'm in NWN.

I've tried updating drivers, but no luck there.   Any other advice what might be the cause, or how to fix this?

Sage - When stories come to life

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
Re: Monitor going to Power Saver Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
Could I have some PC specs please.  Preferably OS, Service Pack (if Windows), Graphics card, Processor, RAM & Power Pack.  Also have you made any hardware changes recently and is it a Lappy, or desktop?  Any unusual environmental heat (hot day), or PC getting unusually hot?  Have you cleaned the poota out recently?  How long have you have the current processor without reapplying coolant?

Oh and can you hear any sound in the background when your monitor falls over?

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »
Could I have some PC specs please.  Preferably OS, Service Pack (if Windows), Graphics card, Processor, RAM & Power Pack.  Also have you made any hardware changes recently and is it a Lappy, or desktop?  Any unusual environmental heat (hot day), or PC getting unusually hot?  Have you cleaned the poota out recently?  How long have you have the current processor without reapplying coolant?

Oh and can you hear any sound in the background when your monitor falls over?

umm, off the top of my head,
running Windows XP service pack 2
radeon x1650
ACPI Multiprocessor
1 gb RAM
dell E207WFP  - monitor

unsure of power pack at the moment

no unusual sounds when it shuts down, can still hear my character taking a beating rather clearly.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
It could be a faulty memory, or GPU.  Try having a clean about inside the poota, get rid of any collecting dust.  Also check the GPU (graphics card is secured nice and tight).  Finally give MemTest86 a run, see if it can pick up any nasties.  Do you have another power pack handy?

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
It could be a faulty memory, or GPU.  Try having a clean about inside the poota, get rid of any collecting dust.  Also check the GPU (graphics card is secured nice and tight).  Finally give MemTest86 a run, see if it can pick up any nasties.  Do you have another power pack handy?
heading out to work now, will see what I can do with this when I get home.  No spare power pack on hand.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »
Many people don't know that this is possible. But depending on how new a monitor you've got you've sometimes have to update the Monitors own driver. Not the graphic card. Fixed a similar problem for me so I hope that helps a little!

LadyDragn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Thing is, the Monitor works fine on harder graphic games, such as WoW and Dragon Age. It just seems to do it with Nwn only.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
Seems almost silly to ask, but do you have Shiny Water on?  Additionally you can try resetting the nwn.ini, if memory serves this can be done just by moving the .ini out of the NWN directory.

— Sydney J. Harris

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »
Seems almost silly to ask, but do you have Shiny Water on?  Additionally you can try resetting the nwn.ini, if memory serves this can be done just by moving the .ini out of the NWN directory.

what is kind of silly... I recently turned shiny water off... but I'll try turning it back and removing the ini and updating drivers for monitor and graphics card again... and anything else already mentioned tonight and see what happens tomorrow

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:59:29 AM »
updated monitor drivers - no change

reenabled Shiny Water - no change

going to bed, will remove and try the ini file thing in the morning...

thanks everyone for the advice, heres hoping something works

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
Guess you can always try updating your directx drivers as well

Strife

• Player, Fan
  • Dark Lord
  • Everybody's a Prisoner
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Isn't Windows XP at SP3? Perhaps you might want to upgrade that as well, however I doubt that is the problem.