You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Michael Worden's Journal and Tale of Woe  (Read 1547 times)

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
Michael Worden's Journal and Tale of Woe
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »
“You will go to Barovia and find out where she is hiding and bring her back here!  Do not think of returning without her!” the man leaned forward in his high backed chair pushing back the evening meal.  His eyes were hard devoid of any pity as he looked upon the recipient of his outburst.

Michael stared hopelessly at his father.  Was he mad? Find her in that cursed filthy land? By... By himself?

Seeing the blood drain from his Son's face he began to laugh almost choking on the food still in his mouth.  A dash of hope filled Michael briefly him hoping the old bastard would choke on his chicken.  A hope quickly dashed as he watched him down his wine clearing the blockage...

So much for small favors...

“You are lucky Michael I do not throw your worthless hide to the streets!  A Noble's daughter?!  Have you lost your senses?” his father slammed his wine goblet down on the table, plates and cutlery rising slightly a testament of the strength the man still possessed.

He had almost forgotten about the Noble's daughter.  How was he to know she would become pregnant? He only lay with her a half dozen times.  A fact he at first tried to argue with his father before a backhand changed his mind from him.

“Father please!” he whined dramatically wringing his hands.  “Don’t send me to that place! How am I to find her?!”

His father looked at his pathetic son a moment and cursed the God's for giving him such a wretched son.  He knew he could not send him there alone his wife would never let him hear the end of it...

“Take Penelope... She will accompany you and aid you in this.”

A glimmer of hope crosses his features a moment until he looked over and spotted her standing in her customary place against the wall.  She looked as if she was about to cry.  Welcome to my world servant!

“Wait... what if I cannot find her?”

“Do not return unless you do!” his shout sent a foreboding and shiver down his spin and the room suddenly became very dark.

“Oh for the love of...  Penelope drag that coward to his room!” he watched her run over and obediently begin to drag his feinted son across the room.  “And start packing for your journey, you leave in the morning!”

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:11:07 AM by Darktide18 »

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
Re: Michael Worden's Journal and Tale of Woe
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »

I had Penelope venture into town to buy a journal for me today.  It is my hope that in writing down my trials in this dark filthy land that my Father will see this and appreciate all that he has put me through..  Because through his ignorance he has chosen to not provide us with proper coin to sustain us I am forced to put Penelope to work.  She has found work hunting rats and creatures she has told me are called mink to sell to the ignorant wretches who hand over coin for them.  She has on occasion come back with bite marks on her legs and her pants tore from her labors.  I at first thought she was merely trying to get out of doing her other duties which she assures me she is not.   Penelope seems to understand the status that I must maintain as a Worden's son and does her work with no complaint.  Necessities like fine clothing, food and lodgings have been lacking but Penelope assures me we will have enough coin to move into one of the nicer inns in town soon.

It is my hope that we have enough coin to get lodging for Penelope as well but if we fail to have enough coin I will leave the window open slightly in my room so that warmth may flow out to her as she sleeps just outside of it.  Mother always said I was to soft on them.

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »

It seems I am forever cursed to wander this forsaken filthy land for all eternity!  Why must I endure this task when I have done nothing to deserve it?!  No one has heard of my sister Elizabeth, nor are they familiar with her description.  I have tasked Penelope with asking around discretely in case my dear sister has gotten herself into some sort of trouble.  I certainly do not wish to involve myself with anything foolish she has gotten herself into.  If not for the Mage's my father has employed telling him she came into this land I would declare it a lost cause and go home to await whatever devious punishment my Father would put me to. 

On a more positive note my magic seems to grow daily, with the help of this strange imp that I have graciously made my familiar.  A strange looking creature as it is devious, Penelope tells me it is not to be trusted as it comes from the nether world or some nonsense.  How she came to know that I do not know but I dismissed her warning with a wave of my hand..  What do servants know anyway save cleaning and being an annoying nuisance?  But I will be careful with what information the creature wishes to impart, but it has not lead me astray so far.

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »

Mother will be proud to learn I have finally located a personal physician.  Her name is Doctor Eldrich and I have retained her services for a small retainer fee.  She claims to pray to some power called Akadi which I could care less for.  It is her natural healing abilities I am more interested in.  Like our home physician she practices natural healing methods that does not solely rely on the divine to do everything for her.  I have ordered her to give Penelope an examination to ensure she has not contracted some disease while hunting the vermin as soon as possible.  Seeing as how Penelope handles my food and clothing it is only prudent.  I will use this as a means to gauge her skills before deciding to retain her services indefinitely.

On a depressing note I still have learned nothing of my sister Elizabeth, either through her sheer unimportance or her own carelessness she is no where to be found.  There is a government building in town perhaps going there my search will be more fruitful.  I will send Penelope of course.

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »

I have been strangely nostalgic lately regarding my home.  Something inside of me that I cannot quite explain tells me that I will never see it again.  Things here in Barovia have not gone as I had hoped.  Penelope is nowhere to be found and I am beginning to worry I shall never see her again.  If she is going to let a little obedience training cause her to leave our families employ then good riddance!  She should have known the difference between strong drink and wine!  I nearly choked to death and had it not been for her insistent pounding on my back I am certain I would have.   There is a foreboding here in this place that I cannot quite explain.  A hopelessness that seems ingrained on the very faces of those that call this place home.  I fear that I have stayed here to long and perhaps it is time that I started to make preparations to go home.  Damn my Father and his insane mission! 

I will stay on for a week to look for Penelope, I heard a rumor of a woman wandering the mountains to the north.  No doubt foolish Penelope has gotten herself lost... I only hope that I do not find her a frozen fool on the side of the mountain.

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »

With Penelope missing it seems this land is not as safe as most would lead themselves to believe.  Being a prudent man I have decided to employ a bodyguard to assist me in this endeavor.  Her name is Gabriela or something and I have taken to calling her Gabi.  The sound seems strange to me so I will no doubt rename her to something more convenient to say.   I plan on meeting with my Doctor soon as this plague business seems to have no end in sight.  I do not think I am coming down with it but it is always good to employ preventive measures as getting said disease would no doubt put an abrupt end to my little adventure here.  I purchased some parchment and ink so will write out some notices asking if anyone has seen my wayward assistant.  I've come up with a rough draft that I will pen here.

"Missing Penelope Hopkins -

Will have an absolute lost look upon her face and eyes will no doubt be red rimmed from her incessant crying and complaining.  She could possibly be married to some merchant as she has a tenacity to flirt with any male she sees.  If you see her please leave word for me at the Ladies Rest as I need to inform my Father of her abandonment of her job duties if she is not dead.

"

It is a rough draft but I think I have the general idea of it. 

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

I was sitting outside enjoying the lovely Barovian weather with my new bodyguard, whom I have not thought an easier name for.  Maybe something colorful and original like Blades or Knives.. Hmm I'll give it some more thought but I digress.  But back to the purpose for this entry as I was saying I was sitting outside the Ladies  when my wayward servant stumbled up using some crude stick as a crutch.  After taking her inside I did make a show of showing concern for her well being of course before berating her for being absent of her duties and making me do all of the mundane tasks that she used to do!  But after hearing her tale of capture and abuse by Vrlocks in the lair to the north my heart did go out to her..  I let her have the rest of the evening off. 

Her tale does give me pause for concern however.  Did she tell them anything about me in her capture to spare her little miserable life?  Should I be worried they will come for me next?  Hmm...  If she did betray me in that way to save her own life she will of course be severely reprimanded.  Perhaps I will venture there cloaked in my magic to find out what I can..

~ Michael Worden

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:12:55 PM by Darktide18 »