Author Topic: Possible monster AI tweak?  (Read 1571 times)

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
Possible monster AI tweak?
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »
Is there any way to modify monsters so they don't just stand over an unconscious PC waiting for them to recover?   Managing to succeed at a recovery roll is rare enough already, having the beastie that nearly killed you casually smack you down again is just adding insult to injury.

Considering the morale system gives NPCs a get-out-of-combat-free option, breaking combat and letting them flee without triggering an attack of opportunity, is it really so much to ask that PCs have a chance to flee too?

(Why yes, I just did the bleeding-recovered-bleeding dance three times tonight.  :roll:)

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
Re: Possible monster AI tweak?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
hmm

my experience is different.

i find that 3 out of 4 times dying i dont need raises anymore as the monsters wander of loosing interest in the body.

but then i make sure that i dont fight at their spawn point almost always dragging them to some form of exit to be able to get away fast if needed.

for me this is much less harsh than before.

aran/arakor

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:43:42 AM »
My record is 5 times recovery process by a low level char, get killed make your recovery, move 5 feet get killed make your recover..............
Monster just sit thier, I guess they bored and play wack a NOOB!!

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:46 AM »
Usually, they walk back to the place they are spawned before you recover, but it could be that sometimes, things or other NPCs are blocking them or that they've simply gotten too far away from "home" to find back.

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:24:49 AM »
maybe on low levels but higher level monster stick to you like glue, I dont know if that matters in determining why they do that but they do.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:14 AM »
The monsters that prompted this were ogre battleragers and great crushers from the darkling camp.  They were pretty far away from the camp itself when they got me, and considering the number of rocks and trees I kept getting caught on while running, I'd imagine they got stuck/lost too.

The other monster that seems to love the camp-over-the-body behavior (in my experience) is werewolves of any type.  Considering they regenerate and can run away at insane speed, the looming-and-waiting all contribute to my belief that they should be worth more xp :D

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
I've experienced situations where after going unconcious monsters kept bashing my PC, need to say what happened?

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
Umm strange, I find the lower the creature the higher the chance of it staying close to the corpse & beating you to death (rats are the best example), enlightened deamonologists wander away almost right away.