Author Topic: Archers still getting the shaft  (Read 5685 times)

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
Re: Archers still getting the shaft
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
Not being able to save the day is fine. Not even being able to TRY is not. You say "take it IC", but there is no IC reason why I should be tripping over +1 melee weapons and unable to find a +1 crossbow ever. This is NOT an IC issue, it's failure on the part of the dev team to treat all players equally.

I think it's fairly simple: everyone should be treated equally. Having an abundance of +1 melee weapons while having +1 bows be rare and +1 crossbows non-existent is NOT treating everyone equally. There's nothing complicated about that. I think I've successfully demonstrated that there's no REASON not to treat archers the same as melee in terms of available gear because even with the best gear in the world archers are always weaker than melee. The way I see it, what we have on this server is an unfair bias in favour of melee fighting characters that has NO game balance reasons to be here.  I'm not asking for anything that the melee's don't already have in abundance. Not asking for special treatment, just asking for fair treatment.

In fact, since GMW works on melee and not ranged, it would be closer to fair if there were loads of ranged +1 and few melee +1. There's a viable game balance reason for bias, right there. The fact that it's the other way around here makes me angry, disgusted, and confused.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:43:53 PM by Green Monster »
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

The_Reapers_Wraith

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
Honestly this thread just seems like another one of this "there are some hard aspects of this server so i'm going to whine" rants to draw attention to certain difficult aspects of the server.  Instead of complaining from an ooc perspective why not take this "problem" as an ic challenge to push you to find a bow that will suit your needs?  It's HARDLY impossible seeing as how others have done it.  I'm watching as you tear apart solutions people are offering and almost laughing at how ridiculous it's sounding.  It seems as if you're either too stubborn to admit that maybe you're wrong, or too lazy to work for whatever it is that you desire your character to have. 

Ravenloft isn't a server where you can log on, level up to a badass pc level in a few days and suddenly become a killing machine.  It's about achieving things through roleplay and character dynamics.  Whining about the weapons the server has to offer is completely ooc and in essence makes no sense to me especially since it seems that you're one and only goal is to become so powerful that you can take an archer into a dungeon and clear it all alone.  Odd.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
Getting in before the lock here...
I currently playing a sylvan druid that focused on archery in the beggining. Without my animal summon to act as my melle and my bow +1 undead i would have died quite regularly. The first ju ju zombie would have handed me my butt without my dire wolf and bow i had to scrimp for. As a rogue or straight fighter/archer there would have been no way doing it alone. Now that said I had fogotten about the +1 bow mentioned earlyer, I think you will feel ok again once you have it green because you will be more effective. Until then you will just have to have the golf bag of bows for diferent situations. You mentioned how expensive it was at the camp, well never buy a weapon this way always get it by going to the player base merchants like the vardo or gotoku and rp getting it. Its way cheaper usually and it often leads to other rp. An example is my druid, she got her booty handed to her by vamps, ended up in rp with the morninglordians...one thing leads to anouther, and soon that useless bow of hers will matter very little. Crossbows straight up suck hard though until somewhat recently now I would say there about almost equal to bows, but bolth are definatly support weapons only in POTM.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:02 AM »
Reaper, please explain to me how I can "take it IC and find one" when it DOESNT EXIST ON THIS SERVER.

Also, you're absolutely right. I want to solo dungeons. That's why I chose rogue/bard archer. Because that's so uber, what with getting hit by attacks of opportunity, and not wearing any armor so that I can cast spells to heal other party members, and having low AB and few attacks per round, not to mention low hit points. Just so uber. Perfect for soloing. Yup, I designed me a perfect soloing machine.

(that was sarcasm, by the way, since you seem unable to comprehend anything I've written in this thread thus far.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:01:46 AM by Green Monster »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
[moderates]

Keep it clean and on topic please
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »
Kenrick

I know ranged are support weapons only. I designed my character to be a support character only. If I had a heavy crossbow +1 so that I could get past +1 DR, I'd be perfectly happy. I wouldn't mind not being able to get past +2 or +3 DR, because that's not as common. +1 DR, though, is FAR too common for me to be happy about being unable to help the people in my party against them, but I'm not asking for a special DM gift. I'm asking for additions to the loot tables, for everyone.

This isn't just about me, it's about having fair and equal treatment for ALL characters. This is an issue for the rogue who finds that the party already has a better rogue in it and feels a bit useless because she can't fight OR handle the locks and traps. This is for the mage who used all her spells buffing the melee, for the bard who prefers to save her spells for healing and buffing others instead of herself. None of them can fight as good as the melee's and thats fine, but that doesnt mean they shouldn't be able to fight AT ALL.

This is about having the same kind of +1 weapons for archers as we have for melee, pure and simple.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 01:40:27 AM »
Mm, when you look at things from the larger perspective, I am sure that this issue is nothing but a drop of water in the Universe of what PotM is all about. I doubt that this issue is crucial for the player's experience and enjoyment in PoTM.

Because watching some of the posts here, sure seems some are making it seem like it is.

Really, there's no need to get worked up over these little things - devs are watching, we are on top of these things, making 12 replies, each more emotionally charged than the previous, wont haste us changing things. There's priorities, this isn't one, when we see it as a significant issue, it will be looked at. Meanwhile, would be a good idea to suggest Crossbows, or ranged weapons for implementation on the dedicated thread.

Threads like this, when the posters make them spin into bigger issues, create their own drama for the players involved in posting in them. Detracts you from the game. Instead of being in game and roleplaying, you find yourself refreshing your browser to see who's the next noob you'll pwn with your next witty reply.

Then you frustrate, it becomes a bigger drama than it should be, you start hatin' everyone not agreeing with you. Then, you start gossippin' about that its Lame DM's Team fault, or 'Damn those Devs are clueless', and that, this might be the end of PoTM, Ruined forever.

Anyway, gonna give the thread a cool down. Will re-open it for discussion later. We'll be looking into it.

Cheers.