Author Topic: Parry questions  (Read 6259 times)

harlock

• Undead Slayer
Parry questions
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »
I'm planing on making a character focussed on parry.
I made a human-ranger for that propose but something doesn't fit.
Let me ask a few questions.
-the number of attacks you can parry are equal to the numbers of attacks you have, right?
-with two weapons you have two attacks at lvl 2? so you can parry two attacks right?
-does parry works for multiple enemies. for example i'm between two enemies who has one attack per round each, can i parry both? in other words can i parry both enemies since i'm flat footed? i can parry one for sure, but looks like i can't parry the second one.

When i say parry i don't mean the counter attack phase, just the phase when you try to avoid the attack.

Psyche

Re: Parry questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
Parry is so useless it hurts.
You can only parry 1 attack per flurry - so basically 1 attack per round, from all attackers, no matter how many weapons you're weilding.

Do not make a parry-based build, I implore you.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
Dont listen try it! It would be something new and fresh! :D

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
Dont listen try it! It would be something new and fresh! :D

..new, fresh and totally useless in combat. :)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Unless we had some "pen & paper" Zorro style duels rolling parry to defend attacks from the rival.

((Again, this must stop!!! Two times in a row!))
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you cannot post new topics in this board.

Lockleed

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:20:02 AM »
Parry is only worth it for one-on-one duels in light or no armor.  Even then you need a pretty hefty skill score at it to be effective.  If you are making a themed PC who is something like a professional fencer or duelist, its worth considering for the RP potential.  It, plus improved parry for the counter attacks, improved critical for luck, and expertise / improved expertise to swap into when you are being slaughtered.  Thats a hefty chunk of effort just to compete against one foe.

Against the overwhelming majority of monsters, don't even bother.  It is indeed, worse than useless.  The traditional monster "mob" will not respect your fancy swordwork and happilly bite / chew / maim you from the sides as you focus on your single opponent.

Ironically though, parry is actually kind of handy to have for a monk.  Not as much as some things, but a monk nonetheless has a good setup for it.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »
We actually ought to rebalance the parry skill in some way. I figure we could make some base bonus for all characters?

harlock

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »
Parry isn't useless, if you can make it like the description (parry attacks equal to the number of attacks you have)
23 ranks to parry+ sf and gsf parry 7 more + 2x nuntsaku 8 more parry, + gloves 3 more + roll, that makes 48+1d20 =49-68 on parry
show me a character with AB 48 on lvl 20 so hitting parry char will depend just on roll.(actualy i've seen something that has ab fourtysomething an adamandium golem :P)

Still except psyche no1 else went to the point, so that means he is right? 1 parry each round?
Is that only on nwn1 or our server? cause i've seen some other post about parry bt for nwn2
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=505285&forum=98
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:59:05 AM by harlock »

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »
you're forgetting the duelist rapiers +5 parry :p

And yeah, there is a bug with parry and the number of attacks you can parry. BUT against a single opponent or in pvp, it is great!
Has been described as a sometimey player

marlewebber

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:35 AM »
We actually ought to rebalance the parry skill in some way. I figure we could make some base bonus for all characters?

:cloud9:

If Parry were actually useful, and everyone could use it... it would add something to the game surely!

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:49 AM »
Parry isn't entirely useless... With our bonus feats for RP, you can afford to focus in it without major detriment to your character. Just don't expect to be using it all the time.

Best class would probably be Bard. Base yourself in Dex, use a rapier and light armour, and only use Parry when against one opponent. If you're against more, use typical Bard tactics.

Psyche

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Parry

Pay attention to the 'Notes' section that explains how fubar it is.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
nwn.wiki changed my view about parry, that was when I finally gave up trying it. Maybe removing Armor penalty to that skill would make it any useful, at least a fighter with some decent 24AC would actually be a candidate for parrying. Or maybe as tumble, it could give some AC bonuses every 5(or 4) ranks, ignoring my previous suggestion of removing the Armor penalty.I know parry has something to do with Light, by Light I mean light armor, dexterous fighter and so on, but we all know it's broken the way it is.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Parry

Pay attention to the 'Notes' section that explains how fubar it is.

It's still useful in ways. Purely defensive characters can use it to great effect if they don't have the 13 Int for Expertise. Though you might not be able to win by relying entirely on it, using it can help block a few attacks if you put in enough focus that your Parry is close to your AC (with the bonus of a d20).

Expertise is generally favourable, mind you, and yes, I am looking for a pin of success in the haystack of fail that is Parry.

harlock

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
Thanks for replays.
I guess I'll have to make a parry char to see how it goes, but please if there are any know issues fix it, or re balance it a little, at least to a state where we could parry same number of attacks as character attacks, by one enemy, it's waste to have that good parry equips in server for a almost useless skill as it is.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 05:42:16 AM »
An alternative solution I've considered was to have parry give you shield AC when fighting with no shield, a bit like tumble gives you dodge AC.

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 06:03:50 AM »
An alternative solution I've considered was to have parry give you shield AC when fighting with no shield, a bit like tumble gives you dodge AC.

I may be mistaken at this but to my knowledge, shield AC does not stack and two-weapon defense feats already provide shield AC when dual-wielding so the said solution may not work with that very smoothly.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 06:31:34 AM »

I may be mistaken at this but to my knowledge, shield AC does not stack and two-weapon defense feats already provide shield AC when dual-wielding so the said solution may not work with that very smoothly.

We can actually make it stack.

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
We can actually make it stack.

Sounds like an interesting idea, however as opposed to tumble which gives an AC bonus by unmodified skill rank, perhaps it would make more sense for it give bonus by modified skill rank, with that in mind items giving a bonus to parry skill would be more useful, also the armor penalty to the skill would be accounted for. Also I would deem this bonus would be not applied when using a ranged weapon.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »

I really like this idea, especially if there are relevels authorized for existing PCs to take advantage of it.  [whistles innocently]
It would be interesting to see if bards can become the new masters of AC, having both tumble and parry as class skills, medium armor proficiency, and access to mage armor ;)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 08:07:47 AM »
If you can make it stack this would be awesome. I would enjoy seeing parry become a bit useful than. This would be a cool change. *nodsd*

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »

I really like this idea, especially if there are relevels authorized for existing PCs to take advantage of it.  [whistles innocently]
It would be interesting to see if bards can become the new masters of AC, having both tumble and parry as class skills, medium armor proficiency, and access to mage armor ;)

Bards are already one of the best classes in terms of AC, AB, dmg and whatnot, closing in on cleric if not surpassing it in some ways. Bards have Discipline to? Some of the alltime nastiest/deadliest characters on the server has been bards.

Hehe, I vote for relevels if it actually becomes a useful skill ;)... Since I know of very few chars that have it, I even removed it from the one char i've had it on when doing the remakes after the accidental server wipe a few years back, figured I could use those skill points on something that actually worked instead.

Sig by Garison

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »
I'm requesting a remake so I can give my char parry skill  :twisted:
Has been described as a sometimey player