You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Money and Port-a-lucine  (Read 2478 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Money and Port-a-lucine
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Port-a-luicne is a really nice place, I enjoy the atmosphere of the place, and I find it to be a good area to roleplay in. However one thing of concern there is that there is little ways to make money. Even the village has ways of making money with all the crafting resources nearby so I am thinking of ways to get money in port-a-lucine. Here are some ideas that I have thought of.

:arrow: delivery jobs, delivering basic items, such as ink to the printing press. To earn some coins.

:arrow: hunting some animals on the outskirts of the city, of course this would require new areas so I am not sure if this is possible.

:arrow: on a similar note, having some unique resources only available in Port-a-lucine, unique herbs and other crafting resources. Dementilieu should have some unique herbs that Barovia does not have. This would allow for some unique crafting. Dapplewort, a poisonous herb should be included. *nods*

Those are just three ideas that I came up with right now. Comments and feed back is welcome as Is new ideas. so post away.

-herkles-

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Re: Money and Port-a-lucine
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
It has already replied about it, more than once. It is meant as high-level area, thus not "newb" quests. Plus Dementlieu is a total importer, even of wheat, the only thing which it exports is "culture". I am not sure that herbs there might be that common. At any rate, I am of the opinion that something should be done to allow/motivate people to stay there, so everything could be welcome.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
It has already replied about it, more than once. It is meant as high-level area, thus not "newb" quests.

But high levels don't hang out there. No one does. Thus, what it's "meant" as isn't working. Time to make it an area for people who are more interested in RP than in bashing monsters. In order to do that, there has to be some easy scripted quests that, while NOT allowing you to get rich by doing them, WILL allow you to be able to afford food, drinks, and hotel stay, no matter what level you are.

Plus Dementlieu is a total importer, even of wheat, the only thing which it exports is "culture".

Actually, that's not true. No economy can survive on import only. And Dementlieu doesn't only import, at least not according to the domain information in the OOC lounge library.

Resources: Potatoes, wheat, barley, apples, grapes, cattle, dairy, herring, sradines, wine, timber, cloth, weapons, books, culture, scientific knowledge

At any rate, I am of the opinion that something should be done to allow/motivate people to stay there, so everything could be welcome.

The ONLY way to motivate people to stay there is to make it so that they can afford to stay there.
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

Psyche

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
The 'total importer' quote is from Gazetteer III, so it's canon.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
The Gazeteer is a supplement written by an NPC presented in an IC format, right? Therefore, there's NO reason to assume that this NPC is RIGHT about everything. No one should EVER assume any NPC is telling the truth and is right all the time.

Ask ANY student of economics, there is NO such thing as any economy that ONLY imports. It cannot work. Just you try starting to buy things all the time and NEVER have ANY money coming in and see how long you last.

Also, what exactly does this have to do with getting some little quests in Port so that people who would rather RP than fight were-rats can afford to hang out there?
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
The Gazeteer is a supplement written by an NPC presented in an IC format, right? Therefore, there's NO reason to assume that this NPC is RIGHT about everything. No one should EVER assume any NPC is telling the truth and is right all the time.

Ask ANY student of economics, there is NO such thing as any economy that ONLY imports. It cannot work. Just you try starting to buy things all the time and NEVER have ANY money coming in and see how long you last.

Also, what exactly does this have to do with getting some little quests in Port so that people who would rather RP than fight were-rats can afford to hang out there?

Got a point there. But yeah, I would like to see some more things to do in Port-a-Lucine to draw me in. :)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
actually green monster is right. The port has a thriving economy and the Gazzeteer IMO supports imports as well as exports.

"only through this strong economy has Dementlieu been able to invest so completly in its own cultural and scientific devolopment"

"offers a safe means of transporting goods from the northen lands of Lamordia and darkon by avoiding the treacherous falkovnian roads, making it the transport mode of choice for almost anyone with valuable cargo."

Anyways this was to see about having ways to make money in the port that could help allow people to stay there more and rp there. *nods*

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 04:47:37 AM »
actually they could tax alot of the trade going through Dem.. they would also earn abit of money taxing their own, and they export art.. and science, and stuff like that.. also there is tourism

or it could be they import raw material, make it into something, then export the finished product

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »
Regardless, the point is that there should be ways to make money in Port-a-lucine, not a lot, but enough to be able to actually buy stuff there.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »
I did not give any opinion. I just stated facts.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:21:43 AM »
Regardless, the point is that there should be ways to make money in Port-a-lucine, not a lot, but enough to be able to actually buy stuff there.

I've been pretty busy lately, but when I have a chance, I'll see about adding some of the delivery quests we use in Barovia to Port-à-Lucine.

As for the whole resources thing, Dementlieu imports most of its resources. It has a mostly sandy ground, so it's not too good for agriculture. Dementlieu exports low-quality, cheap mass-produced goods (made in workhouses were the poor work 16-18 hours per day for very low wages) and culture. A lot of the money comes tourism. It also has access to the Sea of Sorrows for fishes and trade with some of the exotic domains.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
delivery quests sound nice. thanks EO.  :mrgreen:

What of unique resources found only in dementilieu that could be useful for crafting? That would encourge more people to head there and use the crafting and interaction with players too.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
With access to exotic trades and such, might be worthwhile to have a crafts shop inside the city, with some components for sale, at highly inflated prices.  It would reflect their ability to get items from abroad that are not easily aquired and would represent their source of income.  Silver for example, while its very hard to get the right group together to enter the mines and actually mine the stuff, a shop in Port might sell silver ore/ingots for several hundred gold each.  Surely some people would be desperate enough to pay the costs for these items rather than face the dangers themselves.  It would also allow native barovians an outlet for gathering resources they otherwise would not be caught dead gathering due to the dangers involved.

Sage - When stories come to life