Author Topic: NWShader  (Read 19751 times)

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
Re: NWShader
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
Nice to see some interest here. Should've checked back on this thread sooner.
I did tweak that mithril shader up a bit and did some work on it, and here's what that ended up looking like: ;)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/peachykeen000/nwshader/materials/atmosphere.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/peachykeen000/nwshader/materials/golem.png
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThbR3NZq8I[/youtube]
Just released all that publicly today, hopefully it goes as well in general use as it did in testing.

i've been playing around in what i laughingly call my free time which is on average 15 minutes before i just collapse and head to bed with nwnshader honestly its a little bit to setup but its offers alot i think given time. wish i understood ways to combine it to go with other things though :P
With the new release, the default settings should work for most people. I've been trying to pin down a nice "straight out of the box" setup so you only have to tweak it if you really want to.
What do you mean by combining it with other things, though?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »
Good to see you here again :)

What's the status on Bahamout? I have my own little project for it, but had issues with the beta and too busy at the moment to sort it out.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »
There's a few issues with it, but the only two I know of are little mistakes I made in the code (the material shader system is accidentally connected to fullscreen shaders and there's an issue with alternate language files not falling back to English if they can't be found). Those are both simple to fix, with any luck I'll be able to get them corrected today and update the download.
Besides those, it supports materials and translations and all that good stuff.

If you don't mind telling, what's your project?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
Ah, and you'd be able to take the old bump-map and apply it to the model and have it look the same in Max and NWN. I see.

What sort of bump map is it? The grayscale sort, blue/purple sort, or rainbow sort? I have shaders that can handle the blue/purple ones already, the rainbow ones are very easy to do and the grayscale sort I can do with a bit of work.

All in all, you're looking at about this much work:
Code: [Select]
<Material>
    <Shader>Multi.cgfx</Shader>
    <Settings>
        <BaseColor>1.0; 1.0; 1.0; 1.0</BaseColor>
        <GlossColor>1.0; 0.0; 0.0; 0.0</GlossColor>
        <shininess>64</shininess>
        <texBaseMap>your base texture.tga or png or whatever</texBaseMap>
        <texNormMap>your bump map</texNormMap>
    </Settings
</Material>

The shader is pre-made, works with standard normal maps. The base and gloss colors define the color (base material diffuse and specular, later effected by texture and light color). Shininess is the specular coefficient, and the tex*Map settings are the texture files (relative to NWN\NWshader\textures).
Really though, that's all there is to it. Just save that snippet with the same name as the texture on the model (so if you're using c_behold.plt, save it as NWN\NWShader\materials\c_behold.xml).

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
Nice work pkpeachykeen, very nice what you did with the Shader, if you ever plan on jumping in game, send me a PM, and I'll take you on a little tour to show you around a bit.

Cheers.  :)

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Released an update to NWShader just the other day, taking care of a few bugs that were popping up.
I think I've squashed all the bugs that poked their evil little heads out this round, so it's back to breaking things in the name of progress for the next release. :)
That one will have more speed, more customizability, and more script functions (plus easier addition of your own script functions).

Nice work pkpeachykeen, very nice what you did with the Shader, if you ever plan on jumping in game, send me a PM, and I'll take you on a little tour to show you around a bit.

Cheers.  :)
I must admit, not being familiar with Ravenloft and a bit out of practice at RPing, your world is rather daunting :P, otherwise I would have joined already. I'll definitely take you up on that offer soon, though.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
A couple new screens and video, for those not frequenting the BioWare NWN boards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjRfLwl6og

I used a 32x32 area and almost killed my computer by letting you see the entire thing. :P  The best part is, you can't cheat with this. NWN still calculates what you can see or not, so even with no fog, areas behind a door are black and creatures fade in when they should.

Here's a quick demo of what HDR does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQNSF7ao_c

And a bunch of screens:
Colored specular on a black surface: Click Here
An experiment with tone-mapping the screen: Click Here

Couple shots with a HDR-contrast shader that I actually like, but it's a bit strong:
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here

Close to a new update with all the new features. I've also completed 85% or so of my original goals, so a stable version is getting closer. :) Once that's out, I'll be focusing on shaders and materials for existing mods, as well as learning to model myself.
I was also toying with a Python wrapper earlier. If I can get that working, anyone can add new script commands by writing Python and not some scary language. We'll have to see how that works out.

On a side note, is there anyone here using NWShader? Particularly in your PW? I'd be interested to get a few screens, for promo (maybe with both our watermarks) or just for fun. Always looking for cool shots.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
Downloaded latest version, tweaking it a bit to suit my taste but so far I LIKE IT :D

X5Alexander

• Sir Henry
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
I just refilled my override folder and installed NWShader.  Look at how beautiful this combination of things is.

Insomnia

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »
Having a lot of trouble with this. My game starts up and loads at its normal clip, load a module... and it freezes. :/ I've done the hookgl32 thing a few times, with no effect.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »
@ Knas: Thanks. If you come up with any nice tweaks, feel free to post 'em.

@ X5Alexander: Awesome screen. :thumbsup:

Having a lot of trouble with this. My game starts up and loads at its normal clip, load a module... and it freezes. :/ I've done the hookgl32 thing a few times, with no effect.
The hookgl32 thing was only for old, old versions. ;)
The current version, 2.1.4, you just extract and play. Now, where you're saying the freeze is at... sounds like the old message queue bug. I worked that out a few versions ago and thought I'd gotten it squashed. What version are you running?

Insomnia

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 01:47:38 AM »
I was under the impression I was running 2.1.4. :/ I'll redownload reinstall.

Insomnia

• Undead Master
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 01:50:01 AM »
Also: Just extract ALL of it, to the folder containing all the other folders, NWNmain, etc?

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
got it to work :)

It makes NWN very pretty, but sadly it also makes my laptop to scream for mercy. It makes my nwn almost unplayable so sadly i have to settle for the regular graphics and all =/
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
Yes , Im afriad if your like me & havent upgraded your PC since the day NwN was released , this is not really viable.

Celeron 2.80GHz
      1022MB  Ram                           = phail
      Directx 9.0c
      Invidia GeForce FX5500

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
Yes , Im afriad if your like me & havent upgraded your PC since the day NwN was released , this is not really viable.

Celeron 2.80GHz
      Directx 9.0c
      Invidia GeForce FX5500

Well funny thing is that this laptop of mine is rather new hardware, like year old tech, still it makes nwn choke it totally sometimes. And with those shaders its just pure murder to play it. I even have almost all of the video options on low becouse it wont simply run well on any medium settings :D

i have:

Windows Vista
AMD Turion 64 dual core, 1,8Ghz each (or so the salesman told me)
2815Mb Ram
Direct X 9.0c
Geforce 8400M

So really my laptop shouldnt have any trouble with that NWN or NWNshaders

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
The graphics card is what'll be your bottleneck with NWshader - Geforce 8400 isn't amazing (fx check this list, sixth from the bottom)

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »

Celeron 2.80GHz
      Directx 9.0c
      Invidia GeForce FX5500

i was thinking of downloading this to try it. but i got you beat Tarinyar :(

Pentium 4 2.6GHz
1022 DDR Ram
Direct X 9.0c
Invidia GeForce4 ti 4200 with agp8x

my computer turned 10 last febuary, Germans know how to make a great product, just afraid to even try the NWshader hehe

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 800 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Motherboard: Asus P5KC

Afraid to check it too right now since in Italy there are overheating temperatures. Might try when I move to my parents with air conditioning though...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
The graphics card is what'll be your bottleneck with NWshader - Geforce 8400 isn't amazing (fx check this list, sixth from the bottom)

Yeah most likely.

But hey i went and downloaded lastest drivers for my GeForce and i dont know but now it seems it would be running much much smoother. Maybe im just imagining it but it doesnt stutter anymore. Quite funky :D

I'll go complete nuts and try the shaders once more just for fun

Edit: OMG what crazy effects it throws at my screen. was standing in ladys rest when suddenly all the candles just exploded in this thick red hue that slowly filled my whole screen. Then i ran outside and my character exploded in blue hue and that remained there fo as long as i logged off :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:54:48 AM by engelfire »

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »
I was under the impression I was running 2.1.4. :/ I'll redownload reinstall.
It'll say at the top of the log files, so if you're ever wondering, just check there.

Also: Just extract ALL of it, to the folder containing all the other folders, NWNmain, etc?
Yup. The DLLs have to be in with NWMain to work, and everything else is kept nice n neat in a NWShader folder.

For everybody with performance issues... Well, NWN is built off OpenGL, as y'all know. OpenGL, at least the 1.2ish version NWN uses, was built for offline rendering and CAD. It's not meant for the polypushing a game does, just not optimized. nVidia has good OpenGL support, ATi has decent, but Intel has little/no support, on Windows drivers, mostly because not a lot of things use OpenGL. With the new 3.0 standard, it's supposed to come back as a good graphics API, but so far DirectX is winning out in every way. Especially speed. My system's not so great, I got it when Oblivion came out, so it's running:
Processor: Intel Celeron 3.06 GHz (OCed to 3.5 GHz)
Memory: 4096MB DDR RAM
HD: 1x320+1x1024 GB
Video Card: VisionTek ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro, AGP
etc
I can run NWN, full-screen (1280x1024) high settings at the same framerate I run Mass Effect at (same settings), or half the framerate I run Red Faction Guerrilla or FEAR2 at (lower settings, but if you've ever played RFG or FEAR2, you know they put both NWN and ME to shame graphically). It's just cause of NWN's setup. I've been doing a few things to fix that, both in NWShader and patching bits and pieces of the engine, but it'll be a long time before I can get any real speed boost out of NWN. It's just built on a system that shouldn't be used for games.

If it does run slow, everything's modular inside, so you can turn parts off. Running fewer shaders is faster, running simpler shaders is faster. I've heard HDR is faster than bloom (in the update), and bloom is set to high-quality, so if you open it in notepad and read the settings instructions, you can turn that down and it'll run faster.

But hey i went and downloaded lastest drivers for my GeForce and i dont know but now it seems it would be running much much smoother. Maybe im just imagining it but it doesnt stutter anymore. Quite funky :D
Drivers will help a lot on some systems. NWShader can use OpenGL 2.0 and some parts of 2.1, where as NWN only uses 1.0/1.1/1.2 and bits of 1.4. That means newer drivers let NWShader run better. If I can get it working, I may link against OpenGL 3.0 for Windows 7 systems, which is even faster. NWShader may actually use 3.0 if you're running Win7 and a 3.0 card.

Edit: OMG what crazy effects it throws at my screen. was standing in ladys rest when suddenly all the candles just exploded in this thick red hue that slowly filled my whole screen. Then i ran outside and my character exploded in blue hue and that remained there fo as long as i logged off :D
Oh, that was a bug with an older bloom shader. I released a fix for it, "better bloom". Lemme see if I can find a link of that for you. :)

X5Alexander

• Sir Henry
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:10 AM »

This is Henry and bff Gisselle taking a trip to the Mage's tower and checking out the view, with NWShader enabled.

Geiger

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »
How is all this going? Any new stuff?

Also.. sorry for the necromancy!

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »
How is all this going? Any new stuff?

Also.. sorry for the necromancy!

I don't know. I think the creator might be simply tweaking stuff underground, in secrecy.

On another note.. How do you install dis thing? I tried to configure it and it started saying something that it cannot find a config_fi.txt file..
Think it's looking for a config file that is in Finnish..

O'well.
Gimme the GEP gun.