Author Topic: NWShader  (Read 19749 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
NWShader
« on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
The potential of this is mind-blowing:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1443

It almost seems too good to be true. Right now the effects are somewhat basic, but that they are there is remarkable enough. Really am looking forward to seeing where this can be taken.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: NWShader
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »

:jawdrop:

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
Shades at distance would definitely improve immersion...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
oh we need to get this!!  :love:

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
That looks gorgeous!  I really do hope they tweak NWNCQ too .

Proof that NwN is still very much alive & like many hollywood stars , getting sexier as it gets older.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
 :shock: must...have...on...server  :shock:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
You can have it on the server, but it's still a bit quirky. Beyond installing the package, you have to use the nwmain.exe in your NWN folder to launch your game.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »
You can have it on the server, but it's still a bit quirky. Beyond installing the package, you have to use the nwmain.exe in your NWN folder to launch your game.

what about setting up a single/multiplayer adventure i assume its about the same as adding haks and what not? i'm working on my own ravenloft venture with my buddies

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:34:58 AM »
Looks like it just blooms and blurs everything.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:04 AM »

what about setting up a single/multiplayer adventure i assume its about the same as adding haks and what not? i'm working on my own ravenloft venture with my buddies

You don't have to set up your module for it at all. Once you've installed it, it'll run whenever you play. However, Bad_Bud is right in that at the moment, it mainly does blooming, but it has potential to do a whole lot more. And it seems highly customizable too.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »
[waits for potm version]

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:17 AM »
But... there won't be any POTM version, since it already works for POTM. Just by installing it yourself, you'll have it enabled even when playing on POTM.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:47:22 AM »
Yeah it's a game modification, much like overrides.

Anyway, does it function in the current version? Or is it more to just "try it out" with lots of bugs etc?

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
I tried it out last night, and was fairly unimpressed with the results.  In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say ludicrously unimpressed.  The OOC entryway looked very pretty, but it was such a resource hog the game barely responded.  I played around with it for an hour or so trying to get it to work before giving up and deleting it.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
Hello all. I caught this thread on Google and read it, wanting to keep up-to-date with where all my project was getting mentioned. Hope it's not against your rules to pop in outta nowhere. ;)

Couple quick replies to some of the comments:
That looks gorgeous!  I really do hope they tweak NWNCQ too .
I'm working with the author of NWNCQ. We're going to try to get the most out of using both together. I have some stuff in the works that'll be nice when I launch it.

I fixed that in the latest update (one minor issue where it has problems with command-lines). Also, it's not a server thing, as Zarathustra217 mentioned. It works on the user's system, so no worries about servers or haks or module updates. Just extract and run (there are some settings to play with if you're so inclined ;)).

It does do mostly bloom at the moment (well, bloom, depth of field, SSAO, that sorta thing). I'm working on more useful features, but for the moment it's just eye candy. Still early in the project, though. Any suggestions for more use anyone has, I'd certainly like to hear them.

Anyway, does it function in the current version? Or is it more to just "try it out" with lots of bugs etc?
There are a few bugs, but my testers are pretty good about reporting them, so there don't seem to be too many and I have most of the known ones fixed up for the next update. Especially the one major one KoopaFanatic ran into:

I tried it out last night, and was fairly unimpressed with the results.  In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say ludicrously unimpressed.  The OOC entryway looked very pretty, but it was such a resource hog the game barely responded.  I played around with it for an hour or so trying to get it to work before giving up and deleting it.
This is a serious (but simple) problem I didn't think of before release. :oops:
The copy of OpenGL that ships with NWShader is mine. XP, 32-bit, ATi. If you're not running a very similar system, things don't work so well (the main issue is a crash after the movies or really, reeeally slow game). If you aren't entirely put off, just search your system for "opengl32.dll" (in Windows\System32) and copy that out. Rename it to hookgl32.dll and put that in your NWN folder (overwrite the copy that's there) and it should be fixed. My apologies for the packaging mistake. The devil's in the details... :headdesk:

Anyways, greetings to all (I'll be checking out your server/world more, looks interesting from the bits I've read so far). Thanks for all the good comments, hope I can help anyone unhappy.

Cheers, peachy :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:37:25 PM by pkpeachykeen »

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »
This is a serious (but simple) problem I didn't think of before release. :oops:
The copy of OpenGL that ships with NWShader is mine. XP, 32-bit, ATi. If you're not running a very similar system, things don't work so well (the main issue is a crash after the movies or really, reeeally slow game). If you aren't entirely put off, just search your system for "opengl32.dll" (in Windows\System32) and copy that out. Rename it to hookgl32.dll and put that in your NWN folder (overwrite the copy that's there) and it should be fixed. My apologies for the packaging mistake. The devil's in the details... :headdesk:

I just got it to work -- I had to copy over both hookgl32.dll and opengl32.dll, but now it runs.  Now to see how it looks ;)

Psyche

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:46:32 AM »
Got it working, but failing to see a difference; so maybe it's not pulling through properly.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
I just got it to work -- I had to copy over both hookgl32.dll and opengl32.dll, but now it runs.  Now to see how it looks ;)

Oh no. That won't work, not at all. You won't have any effects. See, NWShader uses a special OpenGL32.dll (or my custom file with that name) to trick NWN into loading it without having to play with any of the game's files or executables. So the "opengl32.dll" that comes packaged is vital to hooking NWN. It's only the hookgl file (which is really OpenGL, renamed) that you should have to copy into your system.

Quote from: Psyche
Got it working, but failing to see a difference; so maybe it's not pulling through properly.
You might be having the same problem, if you did the same thing.

Make sure to use the OpenGL32.dll included (notice it's only 30 kb or so, where as the HookGL/real OpenGL is over 700) and only copy OpenGL32 (and rename it before you put it in NWN!). It's a little complicated at the moment, but I've added a Sync option to the GUI and am working on an installer to fix it all.

Edit: And if anyone doesn't understand or can't get it to work, just post or run into me on MSN, we can try to get it working.
I had one user who had a minor problem with a 64-bit OS, they had to copy OpenGL32.dll from C:\Windows\WOW64 instead of System32. It's very important you use the OpenGL file included, but just as important you replace the HookGL with your copy of OpenGL.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:12:28 PM by pkpeachykeen »

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
Oh no. That won't work, not at all. You won't have any effects. See, NWShader uses a special OpenGL32.dll (or my custom file with that name) to trick NWN into loading it without having to play with any of the game's files or executables. So the "opengl32.dll" that comes packaged is vital to hooking NWN. It's only the hookgl file (which is really OpenGL, renamed) that you should have to copy into your system.

Heh...  No wonder the result was more understated than I'd expected.  Unfortunately with the included OpenGL32.dll file the game was still practically frozen.  Replacing that was a hunch that got NWN running like normal, but clearly it did that by disabling the add-on.  So, not the most efficient way of doing things.

I'll give it another shot this evening.

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »
Heh...  No wonder the result was more understated than I'd expected.  Unfortunately with the included OpenGL32.dll file the game was still practically frozen.  Replacing that was a hunch that got NWN running like normal, but clearly it did that by disabling the add-on.  So, not the most efficient way of doing things.

I'll give it another shot this evening.
lol, that was probably the reason. ;)
I don't know why it would be running so slow, even on some low-end machine I've had reports of pretty good speed. I doubt it needs stated, but go through the basics. Make sure you have the VC runtimes, .Net 3.5, latest video drivers. Then grab your opengl and replace it. I've pinned down an exact list of instructions for that last:
  • Delete NWN\hookgl32.dll
  • If you're running 32-bit, open C:\Windows\System32
  • If you're running 64-bit, open C:\Windows\SysWOW64
  • Find the file OpenGL32.dll
  • Copy to your desktop
  • Rename to Hookgl32.dll
  • Place in your NWN folder
It's a bit of a pain at the moment (hence why I made it a button for the next release :D), but everyone I've had complain about crashes or speed, that fixed it up for 'em. If you're still running into issues (and wouldn't mind being a case study :P), I'll try to help you make it work.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
This is why NWShader is so promising a project...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pC7IgFsti8[/youtube]

Kaspar

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
.....  :shock:

It looks great, nice job.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »
wow. nice shadows indeed.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
i've been playing around in what i laughingly call my free time which is on average 15 minutes before i just collapse and head to bed with nwnshader honestly its a little bit to setup but its offers alot i think given time. wish i understood ways to combine it to go with other things though :P

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 05:22:29 AM »
Here's something that is perhaps easier to relate to. Mithril golems, notice the metallic effect.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij1rSVdo_70[/youtube]

(go there and watch it in HD for better view)