Author Topic: boat to midway all year  (Read 4194 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
boat to midway all year
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Just as the title says, I was thinking what of having the boat to midway work all year, not just in the non winter months. He could charge extra for going during winter perhaps. I thought this could help with people who may want to get to the village, but it is a long walk, yet don't want to break immerssion. The option of still walking is a viable one I would think.

thoughts? concerns? comments?

-herkles-

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
Re: boat to midway all year
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Well I've always thought that the boat didnt run in the winter months because the lake was frozen over. Thats why...I like that it doesnt run, honestly.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
used too be all year, was changed too reflect the fact the lake is frozen over...

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Yeah, you are suggesting to undo a change that came about from a previous suggestion. :)
I still think its much better for seasonal immersion to have the environment impact gameplay, and this is just one way that achieves that.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »
Indeed,

I enjoy the boat not running during the winter, it adds a feel of realism. I never used to pay attention to the months, till I noticed things were closed in certain seasons :P

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
Yeah, you are suggesting to undo a change that came about from a previous suggestion. :)
I still think its much better for seasonal immersion to have the environment impact gameplay, and this is just one way that achieves that.

Good luck with that.   :lol:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
Perhaps he can run an dog sled service in the winter? i have always thought it would be nice to have a carriage service that ran back and forth to the village that was much like the dm version.something by the east gate that would be unavalible while it was in transit. I thought EQ did a decent job with there boats, i remember waiting on them cussing them out for being so slow.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:52:45 AM »
If the lake is frozen over in the winter....

I want new Frozen Lake areas we can traverse come the middle of winter so we don't have to run all the way around the lake to go north! 

Then add a small island or something in the middle with so much superstition about it no ferry would dare land on it.  Then plant some rare crafting components within so people are as desperate for winter to come as they are for the spring herbs...

Then make it so if a player misses the "thaw" they are stranded there until next winter!   well, maybe not... but it'd be funny

Sage - When stories come to life

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:44:42 AM »
If the lake is frozen over in the winter....

I want new Frozen Lake areas we can traverse come the middle of winter so we don't have to run all the way around the lake to go north!  

Then add a small island or something in the middle with so much superstition about it no ferry would dare land on it.  Then plant some rare crafting components within so people are as desperate for winter to come as they are for the spring herbs...

I think that's a pretty awesome idea. There could be transition points all around the lake that transport you to the "frozen lake area" in the winter and do nothing in the spring, summer, and fall.  OR..... maybe in the warmer months they take you to an underwater area. All kinds of cool fishies and stuff in the toolset as I recall.  There would have to be some kind of magical underwater breathing helm added to the game, though. If an underwater area is made, then the transition points would have to be dialog based, like the transition from Bridge over Tser Falls to Tser Pass. This to keep people from drowning on accident just by walking close to the edge.

Then make it so if a player misses the "thaw" they are stranded there until next winter!   well, maybe not... but it'd be funny

Nah, they'd only be trapped till a reset allowed them to go to faction base. They could rp that they finally caught a ride on a fishing boat or something.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:53:24 AM by Green Monster »
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

Eklund

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
A haunted island would be great, I can imagine it making a great atmosphere and place for DMs to include in events.

And there are no icebreakers, so boats can't go at winter, duh!

And I'm not even going to comment on "Magical-Underwater-Breathing-Helmets"  :look:

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »
Perhaps you should be able to have an option to try walking over the frozen lake with a chance of breaking in. If you succeed you just port normally - otherwise you die. :evillol:

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
A haunted island would be great, I can imagine it making a great atmosphere and place for DMs to include in events.

And there are no icebreakers, so boats can't go at winter, duh!

And I'm not even going to comment on "Magical-Underwater-Breathing-Helmets"  :look:
lol we dont need magical underwater breathing helms people can hold thier breath and it can depend on your con score. Say 10 con you get 5 rounds under water. 15 you get 10, 20 you get 20.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
lol we dont need magical underwater breathing helms people can hold thier breath and it can depend on your con score. Say 10 con you get 5 rounds under water. 15 you get 10, 20 you get 20.

Actually, d20 already has rules for that:

If you are underwater, either because you failed a Swim check or because you are swimming underwater intentionally, you must hold your breath. You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to twice your Constitution score, but only if you do nothing other than take move actions or free actions. If you take a standard action or a full-round action (such as making an attack), the remainder of the duration for which you can hold your breath is reduced by 1 round. (Effectively, a character in combat can hold his or her breath only half as long as normal.) After that period of time, you must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round to continue holding your breath. Each round, the DC for that check increases by 1. If you fail the Constitution check, you begin to drown.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »

*shrugs* The underwater breathing helmets are something from Arabel. If you think that's stupid, take it up with the dev team there. Over there they cost something like 20,000 gold, and on that server gold was so hard to come by and normal equipment so costly that everyone I knew was always broke.

However, for the few who could afford them, they provided access to some very intriguing and beautiful areas.

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
I actually did walk across lake zarovich once in a quest when I played as Lothar, I jumped down on the ice with armour on and all, not the most clever thing... I did survive even if I almost ended up under the ice and dead.  :lol:
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

Nah, they'd only be trapped till a reset allowed them to go to faction base. They could rp that they finally caught a ride on a fishing boat or something.

esily solved!
set them to Faction - Stranded which ports to the island as faction base
Set their safe location to the docks on the island
and of course the last location would be the island!  the only escape would be the next freeze or a DM's mercy!

Sage - When stories come to life

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
I for such an island becoming called "graveyard ile" for all the bodies being killed in pvp dumped there.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »
walking across a frozen lake just isn't possible in the NWN1 engine, sorry. Water areas of tilesets don't have a walkmesh.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 12:51:42 AM »
walking across a frozen lake just isn't possible in the NWN1 engine, sorry. Water areas of tilesets don't have a walkmesh.

We'd need to create an exterior area using the 4x4 Floor Ice placeable. Its doable, but don't know how worth it.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 12:52:49 AM »
just use snowy ground.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 03:22:44 AM »
just use snowy ground.
doesn't work that way

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
I think he means don't have the area be water at all, but be snowy ground with no grass showing through. We can rp that there's ice under the snow

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Problem is that you can't change ground tiles dynamically.  You can script to change placeables, like snowdrifts and herbs and trees, but you can't change a tile, or add and remove water within a script.... or at least any way that I know of.

You'd have to have two versions of an area, a "spring" and a "winter" version, which would mean physically changing them in the mod every 6 game months or so.  A big PIA for the developers.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
Um... no. There isn't a "middle of lake Vallaki" area at all right now, so you only add one area, and we would only be able to get to that area in the winter.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
I think he means don't have the area be water at all, but be snowy ground with no grass showing through. We can rp that there's ice under the snow
yep

Samson/Tatyanna Costella