You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: "This room is occupied" dialog at Inns  (Read 2598 times)

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
"This room is occupied" dialog at Inns
« on: February 25, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
Have an idea, but since I'm a Mac user and therefore have no access to the toolset, I don't know if it's possible to do. Here goes anyway:

Change all the Inns so that each room has a unique sensing area covering the room. One of those "hot points" you put down for scripting purposes or to trigger spawns, you know? Make it so that, if the door to the room is unlocked, it just opens normally, but if the door is locked then a script triggers as follows:

For all Inn's INCLUDING the Hotel du Gouverneur:
If the person trying to open the locked door is in the room's "hot spot" (and therefore in the room), it opens whether that person has a key or not.
If the person trying to open the locked door is outside the room and does NOT have a key, then the person trying the door gets a dialog that says:

Code: [Select]
"You do not have a key for this room. What would you like to do?"
1: Leave
2: Knock

Obviously choosing leave just ends the dialog. Choosing knock sends a server message to everyone inside the room that someone is knocking at the door.

For all Inns EXCEPT the Hotel du Gouverneur:
If the person trying to open the locked door is outside the room and DOES have a key, then:
if the number of characters in the room is 0 then the door opens normally
if the number of characters in the room is greater than 0, then the person trying to open the door gets a dialog as follows:

Code: [Select]
"This room is occupied. What would you like to do?"
1: Leave
2: Knock

If that person chooses leave, the dialog ends. If that person chooses Knock, then every person in the room gets a server message telling them someone is knocking on the door.

Of course, at the Hotel du Gouverneur, having a key means the door opens no matter what.

Well, that's about it for my idea. It would stop people from walking in on other people at Inns, which would make Inn rooms actually good places for secret meetings to discuss evil plans :D, whereas right now they're really not due to the frequent interruptions. It would also stop people from getting trapped in other people's rooms at the Hotel du Gouverneur.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:02:16 PM by Green Monster »
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: "This room is occupied" dialog at Inns
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »
This is actually a great idea. I know that the drain door has something similar to this in how it opens, but I am wondering if this would be too much scripting for the server as this is a lot of doors and inns to cover.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
I know that it would involve a lot of time and testing to get it right, and that it would require a lot of work to implement, but I don't think that it would cause any lag or anything once implemented. But, as I said, due to Bioware not keeping their promises I can't test it myself.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
Like the idea.

Off Topic:
Spoiler: show
Assuming your hardware handles it: There isn't a kind of Virtual Machine for MAC, so you could run Windows?

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Like the idea.

Off Topic:
Spoiler: show
Assuming your hardware handles it: There isn't a kind of Virtual Machine for MAC, so you could run Windows?

why is that a spoiler? lol?

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Purist,
Not worth it to buy a copy of Windows and the Windows version of NWN just for one program.  Maybe I would if I were wealthy.......  but I'm not.

And...  yeah...  why is that a spoiler? Are there people who don't know Apple made the Intel-based Macs able to run Windows, and is there a reason why they shouldn't know?

P.S. Glad you like the idea.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:12:23 PM by Green Monster »

The Unkindness of Ravens

• Undead Slayer
  • Here lies everything, the world I wanted..
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
As an aside, I'm a Mac user, and I've looked into the matter of a toolset. There was an open-source third-party program named Neveredit that served in the same capacity as the Toolset, but it doesn't run on anything newer than Tiger (i.e., those of us with Panther, Leopard, or Snow Leopard are S.O.L)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:11:30 PM by The Unkindness of Ravens »

Pepchko

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
why not just make title a piece of parchment saying "DO NOT DISTURB!" and drop it outside the room you are occupying? ive seen it done before. but i think people dont utilize nor take advantage to the systems we already have in place. the writing system is phenomenal.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
beacuse people randomly steal your signs.

Eklund

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »
because people randomly steal your signs.

Well then there is no real way knowing if the room is occupied or not, now is there?

It makes more sense that someone pins "Do not disturb" note, which of course.. As dynamic as everything is, can actually be stolen/torn/burnt whatever, rather than a magical impleted script, granting your character the ability to scan a room from the outside.

This is a such a minor issue that it's hardly a case for the Devs, when we even have been given tools as Stravokov said! Take advantage of the system  :chicken:

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
It's not a "magical script to scan a room". Its stopping you from being given a key to a room that someone else already has the key for, and little notes do NOTHING to stop people from getting trapped in rooms in Port. I know, I know, people shouldn't be logging out in them if it's not their room, and I tell people this, but they do it anyway.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »
because people randomly steal your signs.

Well then there is no real way knowing if the room is occupied or not, now is there?

It makes more sense that someone pins "Do not disturb" note, which of course.. As dynamic as everything is, can actually be stolen/torn/burnt whatever, rather than a magical impleted script, granting your character the ability to scan a room from the outside.

This is a such a minor issue that it's hardly a case for the Devs, when we even have been given tools as Stravokov said! Take advantage of the system  :chicken:

I doubt veyr much the inns would overbook unless they had common rooms like the Blood of the Vine.  It'd make more sense if each room was numbered, and a key with matching number was in the innkeeps inventory.  Then via dialog they offered to sell a key only if it was in their inventory.  When the key is taken from the player it could then be returned to the innkeep so it would be available again.  The only problem then would be people hording the keys or logging off with them(still they could be removed at logout or exit of the inn and returned to the innkeep with their save point placed in the hall outside the rooms instead of inside).  This would prevent "double-booking" of rooms and the akward situations when 5-6 characters log in after a reset and "roll out from under the same bed while someone else is using the room.

Sage - When stories come to life

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Created a spoiler because the question was a bit off topic. The thread is about dialogue for rooms doors, not about if you can or can not run windows.

For this idea, instead of creating a whole dialogue interface, a script could handle everything. Putting a wall candle next to the room's door, whenever somebody is inside the room, the candle lits, if nobody else is in there, the flame extinguishes. Maybe it could be done manually, that is: IC, if scripting the whole process would be too troublesome.

I took this idea from the New Characters Area, whereas whenever somebody enters the mists, the candle lits and whoever is on that area cannot enter the mists until the cut scenes are finished and the person spawned near the Vistani.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
A candle lighting up would work. Not as cool as being able to knock on the door without sending a tell to whoever is in there (which requires OOCly knowing who's in there), but the candle thing would probably be less hassle to implement.

I'd -still- like it if rooms at the Hotel du Gouverneur could be opened from the inside without a key like the rooms at all the other inns. Sometimes, unexpected real life issues pop up and you can't get back in-game in time to renew your rent. Then you're either stuck in your room till reset, or have to bother a DM, or if a reset happened you have to go to faction base (and it's a pain to go all the way back to Vallaki when what you want to do is be in Port to renew your rent).

Being able to rent rooms at the Hotel du Gouverneur more than just one week at a time would be nice, too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:14:19 PM by Green Monster »