Author Topic: @Voice command used by MPCs  (Read 5379 times)

marlewebber

@Voice command used by MPCs
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »
So I had an experience where a monster PC utilized their @Voice tool to spam yellow text messages describing my PC and her dark power.

They were stirring aggressive roleplay and did not avail their presence in the scene what so ever.  Instead Marles Mists were manifesting and attacking people. (poor Tarinyar)

To me the @Voice command should be utilized to enhance your own aggressive roleplay, not to stealth grief someone with what other PCs will view as a DMs input into a scene.

PCs around thought it was a DM, I thought it was a DM, but after my questions on the DM channel were unanswered it dawned on me.  (the poorly spelled Emotes were another hint at the fraudulent nature of this roleplay)

To me the above does not constitute a responsible use of Monstrous PC tools.  As a monster you have been given tools to set your own scene, not be an invisible aggressor with absolutely zero possibility for consequences.  I understand that as a vampire in Mist Form you can take the shape of a vaporous ham sandwich if you please(tentative in my opinion, to emote seeing misty claws when one is HIPSed and unable to be seen otherwise), but it is not fair to the dozen other players present if they think you're a DM, and you're not.

I think this tool has brought a lot of really wonderful opportunities and I'm disappointed it has been used in this way.  The roleplay itself was a creative attempt to harass my PC but to have it OOCLy misinterpreted as a DMs hand is just wrong.  It is not a fair way to engage someone.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
Re: @Voice command used by MPCs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »
This is, in my opinion, completely unacceptable.

If it were a vampire PC, to emote mists taking shape and moving towards people, interacting in any way...they would need to show themselves in mist form to do so, considering other players were seeing tendrils of mists encircle one PC, and a misty form stalk over to another PC and antagonize them.  This did -not- happen, as I was there.  There were only yellow messages to cover it, with basically no visuals whatsoever.

If you're in hiding, using HIPS or otherwise...to interact with ANYONE physically, you must come out of hiding to do so.  If this is who I think it is, then this is the second time HIPS has been abused.

Monstrous PCs should not be greiving like this in any way, shape or form (and 90% of them don't.  Cheers to them!), because they applied for the template with specific purpose of enhancing the setting, and not causing OOC frustration.

If it was any other monstrous PC...well, look at one of the rules of the server.  Whoever it was did not have control over mists because it is in no way on their character stat sheet, was not upholding any RP, and also not within the limits of the server engine.

Wights, Ghouls, Mummies, Werecreatures...basically any template other than a vampire cannot have access to "Mist" abilities as were used in this fashion.  A very powerful vampire could likely physically shape their mist form to create tendrils, or shapes to promote fear, but they would have to SHOW themselves to accomplish this...

Hence the term CHEESING.

This is again, in my opinion, completely unacceptable, and should be looked into by the DM Team.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:02:16 AM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Could you PM me with the name of the MPC? Also, any screenshots would be muchly appreciated.

MPCs are given special abilities exactly under the terms that they use it to enhance others' experience rather than their own, so any abuse will be acted upon. Considering that, I don't feel what you refer to here is a particular flaw in the system.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »
Sort-of-agreed-ish..

I've seen the yellow text commands used to make your own non-horror RP more obvious and noticable for attention, which is a slight abuse of the system.

I don't see this incident as an exploitation, after all, it's pretty valid that it was used in horror. However, as with 98% of agression concerns, it could have been avoided with one or two tells beforehand.

marlewebber

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
Part of the problem is that I have no idea who did this...  I could only glance at the player list, and not knowing all the PC Vampires I wasn't sure who this could be. (assuming it was a Vampire at all - that is speculation)

Feedback about the System, of Voice Command; I think it has worked very well up to this point.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »
I use this extensively to provide rp while in stealth instead of using tells. However, I was there at the event and I was under the impression it was you that was doing the emotes, so I think it was a bit dodgy, too.
Has been described as a sometimey player

mayvind

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »

If you're in hiding, using HIPS or otherwise...to interact with ANYONE physically, you must come out of hiding to do so.  If this is who I think it is, then this is the second time HIPS has been abused.

I felt like i have to say this .. It wasn't me !  :angel:

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
Not being able to tell if its a DM or not is a problem. A player who exploits in this manner is assumed to be a DM so many players will be tricked into playing along.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Be nice if the MPC, just fesses up, explaining there self.

In PM to the appropriate people, Of course.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
If they did this and havnt confessed yet, I doubt they will.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:41 AM »
If they did this and havnt confessed yet, I doubt they will.

Yes, well. Even a couple people stating for someone to confess, and that person reading it, can compel them to confess. Most *shrugs*

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
It was me.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

mayvind

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »
It was me.

Let get him ! ok which part of the body you guys want ?  :twak:

Joking aside people made mistake live and learn forgive and forget !  :icecream:

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »
lol, I don't think Ciaran has an MPC.

mayvind

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »
lol, I don't think Ciaran has an MPC.

Then let make him into one .. Caterina Fumosa seem like a good candidate  :deal:

Pepchko

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »
i wasn't present, but the tool is supposed to be used to describe the MPC's effects on the victim, or for the MPC himself. i use it to describe what a victim is feeling from being drained from my vampire, or being dominated, etc etc. i use it only for that, so the Victim player has a mental picture of what the vampire has done to their own Character, and can respond accordingly. i believe that is what the tool is "intended" for, and how i personally utilize it.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Completely agree with the reasoing for -why- the tool was used in this instance.  Completely disagree with the subtle nature of confusing surrounding players, and possibly causing the focus of the attempt, Marle, to look completely twisted and evil and possibly incur penalties for something the player was rolling with at the time without the MPC using the tool taking responisibility.

RP should never be forced on someone else, with a tool or anything else.

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:32:11 PM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
meh I offered to help him already :( Wight monk talk about powerbuild lol
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
Indeed, the @voice command is used to communicate occurrences that involve your MPC or what your MPC is doing, not what others are doing.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
Indeed, the @voice command is used to communicate occurrences that involve your MPC or what your MPC is doing, not what others are doing.

Which is exactly what this MPC was doing. I think there was a serious misunderstanding here.

nakedxXbeauty

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »
I think it's safe to assume that whoever did do this feels like a fool, probably won't fess up, and most likely (I WOULD HOPE) knows that they should probably use the tool the way it was intended from now on.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
Im kinda appalled by the way people are reacting to an obvious mistake. You act superior like none of you have ever made a mistake, been banned, gotten warnings or just been an all around screw up. Lets act like adults and drop the name calling. Let the DM's handle this.

nakedxXbeauty

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
So I had an experience where a monster PC utilized their @Voice tool to spam yellow text messages describing my PC and her dark power.

They were stirring aggressive roleplay and did not avail their presence in the scene what so ever.  Instead Marles Mists were manifesting and attacking people. (poor Tarinyar)

The issue is that this is not the purpose of the tool.  The purpose is not to begin describing OTHER pc's and their flaws etc which is what was being done with the tool.  It is for the use describing the actions of your own mpc and their effects on victims and such.  The problem is that you can't tell if it's a dm or player, and I really feel like if it was a player that had no purpose dictating and describing the DP of someone else.  I don't understand how attempting to roleplay for someone else is a misunderstanding.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »

The issue is that this is not the purpose of the tool.  The purpose is not to begin describing OTHER pc's and their flaws etc which is what was being done with the tool.  It is for the use describing the actions of your own mpc and their effects on victims and such.  The problem is that you can't tell if it's a dm or player, and I really feel like if it was a player that had no purpose dictating and describing the DP of someone else.  I don't understand how attempting to roleplay for someone else is a misunderstanding.

Perhaps she wasnt even interacting with Marle? Ever think about that? The MPC was a vampire in mist form, who has their own mist. It is not illegal or considered grievous to emote using the @voice command to describe your own mist. THAT, naked beauty is where the mistake is. It was a misunderstanding and the person has since stepped forward and discussed with Marle and a DM. So drop the subject, it has nothing to do with any of us.

mayvind

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
 :icecream:  :love: