You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New hardware?  (Read 2953 times)

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
New hardware?
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:24 PM »
I've recently been thinking of purchasing a new high performing system to cater towards the next 2-3 years worth of games/applications.

At the moment I've got an Intel E6600 Dual Core 2.4ghz, Geforce 8600GTS, 2gig RAM, 320gig HDD, Windows XP ::: Got it about 3 years ago or so.

I'm in New Zealand so prices/conversions will be different compared to something you may have in your countries. I've specifically been looking at these monster systems: Link

Been eyeing up the Intel Core i7 920 Geforce GTX285 6GB RAM 1TB HDD - NZ$2,222.22 excl GST + Windows 7. I don't need any peripherals like screen/mouse/keyboard/speakers, just want the box.

:arrow: Question is, does any hardware geeks have any advice or suggestions on purchasing hardware/software? Am aware that if I purchased components seperately I may save money but I wouldn't trust myself to build it correctly  :)

:arrow: Things like appropriate PSUs, good combinations, things to watch out for, Nvidia or ATI, current market trends - whether it is a good idea to wait for better technology and lowering of prices...

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
Re: New hardware?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
There is no escape. You're mine now. Locked away in the bedroom, chained forever to my adapter, perpetually feeding upon the power that flows through your circuits.

Commence the re-installations.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
Iadul vrolok.

So, did you buy a new computer already?

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
Iadul vrolok.

So, did you buy a new computer already?

Indeed. Now I have to get used to Windows 7. There are some things I like about it and others I don't I've discovered.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
Does NWN run there?

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
Does NWN run there?

Going to find out soon. Been at work mostly, and when at home busy installing other bits and pieces first. E.g. Avast! Antivirus, Steam, Windows Live! Messenger, Aliens vs Predator, Warcraft 3 for DotA :)

Will post how it goes. Have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I have confidence it will work as I've checked bioware forums and apparently others have got it to work, but if I can't get it working, then goodbye Ravenloft.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
On my new machine I've windows 7, and nwn works fine once having updated to the 10.1 ATI driver for my ATI 5770HD card. Windows 7 looks very good, the only big annoyance for me being the security on every single file and folders, having to go through number of windows to browse them, but I got that fixed after a fair while of googling.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
I love to play DotA. Didn't know I'd find another DotA player in PotM. In fact, DotA is the only thing that keeps Warcraft III installed in my computer for life.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
On my new machine I've windows 7, and nwn works fine once having updated to the 10.1 ATI driver for my ATI 5770HD card. Windows 7 looks very good, the only big annoyance for me being the security on every single file and folders, having to go through number of windows to browse them, but I got that fixed after a fair while of googling.

Will update GPU drivers and see if that works if it orignally fails.

I love to play DotA. Didn't know I'd find another DotA player in PotM. In fact, DotA is the only thing that keeps Warcraft III installed in my computer for life.

DotA is great. The only problem is Garena is full of annoying kids that play it as well. Take the bad with the good I suppose.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »
Play the new Ladder Rooms, chances to be prized with leavers are infinity smaller. As for bad manners and noobs... they are hardcoded in every game that exist, so get used. I play on Garena since it was an open beta, but I kind of become very absent, mostly due to other games, must admit PotM contributed greatly in this, returning now, regaining "shape", like riding a bike, but even though after several months idle, noobed a few times, finally getting well again.

Kaspar

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:05 AM »
I love DoTA.  :o

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Reinstalled most things. No issues at all installing and running Neverwinter Nights with Windows 7.