Author Topic: Casters Vs Melee, The Endless Battle.  (Read 28486 times)

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
Re: Casters Vs Melee, The Endless Battle.
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
Well, when you think of applications as policing and filtering, then yes, it is a really bad thing because then you have other people, sometimes less experienced and not as knowledgable telling other people how things should be done.

The difference between a filter and a buffer is a filtter implies that one person has control, and people will be singled out and told "no".  A buffer implies that there is an obstacle there, promoting effort.  Something to overcome.  I know I've thought out possible paths for my characters knowing that if I were to take them in a prestigious or powerful direction, that it would be for roleplay, and the reason for an application would be centered around my roleplay, not the other way around.  Honestly, having something to overcome sometimes drives people to do better.  Thus...prestige.

People look at applications and think of "policing" or "Filtering" RP in the hopes that only certain people should get them.  When in reality, applications should be something you look forward to.  I know a great many people who have applied for PrCs and MPCs and ECL classes and have come up with outstanding stories that others can enjoy.  It wasn't because someone was policing them, or filtering them out, or saying "No, don't do it this way".  It was because they saw an opportunity, saw a hurdle and jumped over it.

When I go through training RP for other PCs using mine as mentors, I don't try and force them to do things -my- way...but I promote a general idea of the essence of what things are and I let the other player take it in the path they want to.

The people who view applications as methods of policing, enforcing, and filtering out people, thoughts and ideas sometimes because of bad reasons are wrong.  Oghma would be sad.  The people who view applications as a way of promoting something better, and giving players opportunity to sieze a chance are right.

Teacher's in college generally do not police or filter students in any way.  People sign up for college classes to learn and study something they enjoy.

Likewise, people who want to apply for anything prestigious on our server be it a class, a race, or a monster template probably study the lore threads in depth on what they want to do, and come up with an original way to do things that others might enjoy.

That means, so long as they don't abuse it (Which should be decided based on previous track record...and sometimes monitored loosely in the future), they get them.

I've always thought of an application as taking a test in high school, but with much less stress involved...and on your favorite subject.  Or maybe like a final essay you take in a creative writing course.  You know it's coming, and you're using your imagination to come up with something you'll be proud of.

That's a good thing.

One person, or a small group of people pointing their fingers down at others and saying "You can't do this this way" doesn't belong here.

Yes, in the past I have pointed out things I've thoughtg to be done wrong.  But I attempted to promote knowledge in a positive way, and only when I thought something completely went against the essence of what would generally be good.  A few times I've been wrong, and now I don't even worry about it really.  I just take things as they come.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:14:58 AM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:26 AM »
becoming a powerfull sorceror shouldnt take much effort actually... its a natural progression of the powers in your blood/heritage/freak accident/natural evolution. It just happens.

And just because you have never seen people RP their classes in a defining manner, doesn't mean they don't. And an Application means someone has the right too tell you no, or there is no need for an application at all, so yes it is a filter. It is also more trouble than its worth.
and the amount of casters on the top isnt that heavy compared too other classes, and some of us play casters not for the power, but because its a class that offers one of the elements that they enjoy. For me this is Support, both my Arcane casters are support casters, they try too buff others.

Having an application for base classes will only lead too new players skipping our server when they test out new servers, and it will likely lead too old players leaving. both of these elements are bad for the continued life of the server

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »
Actually the amount of casters at levels 15+ far outnumber the non-casters. Now I dont mind that, as long as those playing casters know that they have more responsibility than an equal level non-casting class. A caster can wave their hands and end just about any antagonist/MPC in moments. The vast number of casters that use their power openly these days also has an effect on the ambience, people talk about vampires and werewolves like they are nothing, only when DMs take a monster and buff it up do players act out fear. And that is what I have seen since coming back, I know that has always been a problem but I personally feel it is more pronounced now than it was before.

A Noirgrim would be nice  ;), at least as far as scaring casters to not overuse their powers.

Sig by Garison

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 06:42:11 AM »
but an application wouldnt fix that, the reason the mages are more open now than before, is that there are no consequences for being an open mage, for trading openly evil magic, or magic at all....

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Actually the amount of casters at levels 15+ far outnumber the non-casters. Now I dont mind that, as long as those playing casters know that they have more responsibility than an equal level non-casting class. A caster can wave their hands and end just about any antagonist/MPC in moments. The vast number of casters that use their power openly these days also has an effect on the ambience, people talk about vampires and werewolves like they are nothing, only when DMs take a monster and buff it up do players act out fear. And that is what I have seen since coming back, I know that has always been a problem but I personally feel it is more pronounced now than it was before.

A Noirgrim would be nice  ;), at least as far as scaring casters to not overuse their powers.

I'm not sure that's a fair thing to say when 7 out of 11 base classes are casters.  Also, monk is not a class most are willing to play, so I wouldn't even factor that in the count.  So 70% of the base classes are caster classes.  It shouldn't really be that odd when 70% of the high levels are casters.  Also, if you factor in multiclassing, this number is only going to multiply.  The number of characters that don't have direct access to the weave of magic are very few.  That being considered, there is actually a surprising number of high level characters who have no access to spellcasting at all.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »
I barely considers for example say Ranger a caster, Paladin a bit more so(but paladins reaching high lvls in ravenloft ought to be rarer than good demons). And druids are rather few... So that leaves the majority of clerics which are packed tighter than fleas on a mangy dog on this server, with wizards being rarer and sorcerers much more so... Quite a few bards around to.

And my point is still valid, there is little to no fear shown for the creatures of the night. And that is due to a huge amount of casters using their magic openly, in front of PC guards and whatnot. And its not the itty bitty spell here and there either, often its major mojo. People expect to be saved constantly by the amount of very powerful characters around, which leads to very little respect for MPCs and NPC monsters.

Thats why I think a major witch hunt is needed, thats what happened the last few times magic users started to get to open with their abilities...

Sig by Garison

jimkaf

• Always wanted to be the One, True,
  • Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
I think a little control over the higher level casters would help.

I'd also like to give my own opinion of the whole non-consequences thing for open magic. We all know that barovians are quite scared of magic, and even moreso of powerful witches. If we are talking about the Vallaki Guards here, well keep in mind most don't use any kind of magic items since they are barovian. Also most don't go monster hunting either since it's not really something a barovian would willingly choose, to challenge the creatures in their own lairs.

That overall means that the Guards faction relies mostly on the RP XP to slowly advance in levels. Even in greater numbers it's nearly impossible even with a group of -all- active garda PCs to take out a single higher level mage/caster that would challenge them. Add to that the known current problem with getting NPC reinforcements due to the buggy Guard Horn.

I personally think it's rather realistic the fact that the guards are scared of the more powerful casters but then that actually passes the responsibility to those powerful casters to take the setting into account and not be so bold.

Just my 2 cents.
Active PC: Skender Vacarescu [NWN Portrait Download]

Space Cowboy

• Church of Ezra Inquisition
  • Undead Master
  • some people call me Maurice
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
In regards to the 'there being too many casters using magic openly' argument, i've wanted to make a comment about that for a while now. I believe that one of the main reasons certain characters are so open about their magic using is simply because of IC events, because for various reasons the IC setting has shifted away from the witch burnings of the past. There's been IC events that have shaped this, and the actions of several players. And its still not as if every local Barovian native is running up and hugging mages. I for one find the current setting alot more believable and true to Ravenloft over the mage-bashing random witch burnings of the 'good old days' that happened mostly because of OOC reasons. Witch huntings/burnings after all were never a common element of canon Barovia, most Barovians tend to leave such things well enough alone.

Also, being a high level mage/cleric does carry a degree of risk. Responsibility comes because there are other high level mages/clerics out there, as well as numerous rogues/shadowdancers. So far that seems to have worked fine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:41:52 AM by Space Cowboy »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »
I barely considers for example say Ranger a caster, Paladin a bit more so(but paladins reaching high lvls in ravenloft ought to be rarer than good demons). And druids are rather few... So that leaves the majority of clerics which are packed tighter than fleas on a mangy dog on this server, with wizards being rarer and sorcerers much more so... Quite a few bards around to.

And my point is still valid, there is little to no fear shown for the creatures of the night. And that is due to a huge amount of casters using their magic openly, in front of PC guards and whatnot. And its not the itty bitty spell here and there either, often its major mojo. People expect to be saved constantly by the amount of very powerful characters around, which leads to very little respect for MPCs and NPC monsters.

Thats why I think a major witch hunt is needed, thats what happened the last few times magic users started to get to open with their abilities...

Rather radical things to say.  But I disagree.  I'd wager that a high level fighter is less afraid of the night than a caster, for sure.  A fighter will be able to take blows from something unexpected, whereas a mage must be paranoid all night, wondering if their buffs are about to wear off, knowing that one lucky knockdown ends their life.  Maybe you should play a caster and get more of a feel for this.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
becoming a powerfull sorceror shouldnt take much effort actually... its a natural progression of the powers in your blood/heritage/freak accident/natural evolution. It just happens.

And just because you have never seen people RP their classes in a defining manner, doesn't mean they don't. And an Application means someone has the right too tell you no, or there is no need for an application at all, so yes it is a filter. It is also more trouble than its worth.
and the amount of casters on the top isnt that heavy compared too other classes, and some of us play casters not for the power, but because its a class that offers one of the elements that they enjoy. For me this is Support, both my Arcane casters are support casters, they try too buff others.

Having an application for base classes will only lead too new players skipping our server when they test out new servers, and it will likely lead too old players leaving. both of these elements are bad for the continued life of the server

Gotta say that this is mostly wrong, and directed at me so I will proceed to lecture.

Now...here are the definitions of "filter" and "buffer" in sequential order.

Filter:

1) straining device: a device made of or containing a porous material used to collect particles from a liquid or gas passing through it

2) porous material used for straining: any porous layer or material such as sand, paper, or cloth, used in or as a filter

3) tinted screen: a tinted glass or dyed gelatin screen placed on a camera lens to control light or color or distort an image

Look at the definition closely if you doubt what I'm trying to prove.  A filter is meant to simply catch something unwanted, or divide it from something else.  Synonims for "filter" include screen, sifter, and strainer.  These are all tools to seperate what we percieve as good things from bad things.  And in using a term, you are saying that an application is a tool to deny someone and say no for any number of general reasons, which is wrong.  Wrong.

Now, here's the one defintion of Buffer that fits what an application is more nicely.

Buffer:

1) protector against impact: somebody or something that reduces shock or impact or protects against other harm, usually by interception

Notice how a buffer protects against impact, and protects others from harm mostly through interception.  This is a perfect term for what an application is, because really there are only two reasons an application will be denied.  One, is that the individual does not know enough of the class to incorporate it into what they want to do at this time.  This is an obstacle that can easily be overcome with a little knowledge and research, and if an app is denied, and I were a CC member, I'd give some encouraging words to someone and tell them to reapply when they can, and in the meantime I'd help them prepare what they needed.  Number two, to protect others from harm from possible abuse over whatever the application is focused on.  Yes, some PrCs, Classes and races are powerful and you can make grand "Builds" with them...but the intention should be on the roleplay, and go beyond an ooc sense of "Better than the rest".  Moreso, to protect the playerbase from a player who will just break PvP rules and cause frustration on gaining such power.  This must be blatently obvious for the CC to deny an application, and even if there is reasonable doubt, it should be granted and monitored in the future.

I'm not saying this for myself.  I'm saying this because this is to promote for the server.

New players are going to come to our server, and revel in the amazing roleplay and emmersive world that is portrayed, and if they play a powerful class and want to write up something creative to get a little more "umph", I don't think they would mind.

I have to say that I am rather impressed with the professionalism and talent of ALL of the new players that have chosen to play here lately, and honestly them being here has increased my enjoyment of the server.

And as for the "It's not difficult for a Sorcerer to gain power"...sorcerers make use of -raw- arcane power that is evident in their bloodline.  They have to find it, control it, and eventually imbue it into themselves.  Here's the definition of raw for you as well.

Raw:

1. Uncooked: raw meat.
2. Power:  Unchanneled or unfocused
a. Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined: raw wool. See Synonyms at crude.
b. Not finished, covered, or coated: raw wood. See Synonyms at rude.
c. Not having been subjected to adjustment, treatment, or analysis: raw data; the raw cost of production.
3. Untrained and inexperienced: raw recruits.
4. Recently finished; fresh: raw plaster.
5. Having subcutaneous tissue exposed: a raw wound.
6. Inflamed; sore

Really, two is the only one that makes sense.  And I put that in myself since it came up blank.  But focusing and channeling raw sometimes destructive arcane power would be more challenging than what most others would have to face.

In closing, Panda, while I respect you, I must decline in the fact that I disagree in your way of thinking.  You called me long-winded the other day, and while I'm pretty sure you were friendly in it, it made me take a step back.  I am only long-winded when I see what I think is ignorance (ignorance is not always a bad thing, since sometimes ignorance is bliss, or simply just the lack of knowledge and understanding of something), and what can be harmful for others who choose to play here to enjoy the experience.

Sitting back and attempting to prove someone wrong can be, and has been for me in the past, an ignorant thing to do.  I'm not that guy anymore.  But I do try to prove things right based on the knowledge and understanding I have.

In closing to this long-winded-ness...I'd say applications, at least one at level 14 would not be such a bad idea at all, and would provide a buffer that both protects the playerbase from abuse, and provides an original way to express themselves above and beyond, prestigiously for 20 full levels of a class that is so powerful.

Feel free to discuss guys!

Cheers.

And no, one lucky knockdown does not end a caster's life.  At level 8, they have access to shadow shield which provides a constant +3/10 damage reduction, premonition which grants them a whooping +5/30 damage reduction for 150-200 points, and even if they don't have the progression for those, they have greater stoneskin which grants +5/20.

And improved invisibility which grants 50% concealment.

Add that to a 5/ damage resistance from items and you have a constant 15 damage shrugged off after the 25 damage shrugged and 35 damage from the other spells plus the item are negated.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Sorcerer/Wizard?  It's not one....a'two-hoo!...a'three...

Clerics have their own array of defensive spells such as magic vestment, shield of faith, and whatever spells are granted by domains.

And both of these classes can keep their "buffs" as you called them maintained, and after three to five hours they can simply find a safe spot to rest, and "rebuff" as you'd call it.  Not everyone who stands out in the night is a level 15 caster, or level 15 hybrid-fighter build.

And let's say a caster gets knocked down.  If they're smart, and know the system, it's rather easy to avoid that second knockdown in the upcoming round by just....clicking like mad and running away if needed! (Or holding "w" down with a white knuckle, which is cheap)

Maybe Bad_bud should take all things into consideration before rushing to conclusions.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:16:23 PM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »

Gotta say that this is mostly wrong, and directed at me so I will proceed to lecture.

Now...here are the definitions of "filter" and "buffer" in sequential order.

Filter:

1) straining device: a device made of or containing a porous material used to collect particles from a liquid or gas passing through it

2) porous material used for straining: any porous layer or material such as sand, paper, or cloth, used in or as a filter

3) tinted screen: a tinted glass or dyed gelatin screen placed on a camera lens to control light or color or distort an image

Look at the definition closely if you doubt what I'm trying to prove.  A filter is meant to simply catch something unwanted, or divide it from something else.  Synonims for "filter" include screen, sifter, and strainer.  These are all tools to seperate what we percieve as good things from bad things.  And in using a term, you are saying that an application is a tool to deny someone and say no for any number of general reasons, which is wrong.  Wrong.

Now, here's the one defintion of Buffer that fits what an application is more nicely.

Buffer:

1) protector against impact: somebody or something that reduces shock or impact or protects against other harm, usually by interception

Notice how a buffer protects against impact, and protects others from harm mostly through interception.  This is a perfect term for what an application is, because really there are only two reasons an application will be denied.  One, is that the individual does not know enough of the class to incorporate it into what they want to do at this time.  This is an obstacle that can easily be overcome with a little knowledge and research, and if an app is denied, and I were a CC member, I'd give some encouraging words to someone and tell them to reapply when they can, and in the meantime I'd help them prepare what they needed.  Number two, to protect others from harm from possible abuse over whatever the application is focused on.  Yes, some PrCs, Classes and races are powerful and you can make grand "Builds" with them...but the intention should be on the roleplay, and go beyond an ooc sense of "Better than the rest".  Moreso, to protect the playerbase from a player who will just break PvP rules and cause frustration on gaining such power.  This must be blatently obvious for the CC to deny an application, and even if there is reasonable doubt, it should be granted and monitored in the future.

I'm not saying this for myself.  I'm saying this because this is to promote for the server.

New players are going to come to our server, and revel in the amazing roleplay and emmersive world that is portrayed, and if they play a powerful class and want to write up something creative to get a little more "umph", I don't think they would mind.

I have to say that I am rather impressed with the professionalism and talent of ALL of the new players that have chosen to play here lately, and honestly them being here has increased my enjoyment of the server.

And as for the "It's not difficult for a Sorcerer to gain power"...sorcerers make use of -raw- arcane power that is evident in their bloodline.  They have to find it, control it, and eventually imbue it into themselves.  Here's the definition of raw for you as well.

Raw:

1. Uncooked: raw meat.
2. Power:  Unchanneled or unfocused
a. Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined: raw wool. See Synonyms at crude.
b. Not finished, covered, or coated: raw wood. See Synonyms at rude.
c. Not having been subjected to adjustment, treatment, or analysis: raw data; the raw cost of production.
3. Untrained and inexperienced: raw recruits.
4. Recently finished; fresh: raw plaster.
5. Having subcutaneous tissue exposed: a raw wound.
6. Inflamed; sore

Really, two is the only one that makes sense.  And I put that in myself since it came up blank.  But focusing and channeling raw sometimes destructive arcane power would be more challenging than what most others would have to face.

In closing, Panda, while I respect you, I must decline in the fact that I disagree in your way of thinking.  You called me long-winded the other day, and while I'm pretty sure you were friendly in it, it made me take a step back.  I am only long-winded when I see what I think is ignorance (ignorance is not always a bad thing, since sometimes ignorance is bliss, or simply just the lack of knowledge and understanding of something), and what can be harmful for others who choose to play here to enjoy the experience.

Sitting back and attempting to prove someone wrong can be, and has been for me in the past, an ignorant thing to do.  I'm not that guy anymore.  But I do try to prove things right based on the knowledge and understanding I have.

In closing to this long-winded-ness...I'd say applications, at least one at level 14 would not be such a bad idea at all, and would provide a buffer that both protects the playerbase from abuse, and provides an original way to express themselves above and beyond, prestigiously for 20 full levels of a class that is so powerful.

Feel free to discuss guys!

Cheers.

And no, one lucky knockdown does not end a caster's life.  At level 8, they have access to shadow shield which provides a constant +3/10 damage reduction, premonition which grants them a whooping +5/30 damage reduction for 150-200 points, and even if they don't have the progression for those, they have greater stoneskin which grants +5/20.

And improved invisibility which grants 50% concealment.

Add that to a 5/ damage resistance from items and you have a constant 15 damage shrugged off after the 25 damage shrugged and 35 damage from the other spells plus the item are negated.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Sorcerer/Wizard?  It's not one....a'two-hoo!...a'three...

Clerics have their own array of defensive spells such as magic vestment, shield of faith, and whatever spells are granted by domains.

And both of these classes can keep their "buffs" as you called them maintained, and after three to five hours they can simply find a safe spot to rest, and "rebuff" as you'd call it.  Not everyone who stands out in the night is a level 15 caster, or level 15 hybrid-fighter build.

And let's say a caster gets knocked down.  If they're smart, and know the system, it's rather easy to avoid that second knockdown in the upcoming round by just....clicking like mad and running away if needed! (Or holding "w" down with a white knuckle, which is cheap)

Maybe Bad_bud should take all things into consideration before rushing to conclusions.   :facepalm:

Why are you arguing over the definitions of words instead of arguing in favor of actual ideas?  You've said nothing to refute HellsPanda's argument, you've simply defined the words you used earlier.

And I have a level 18 sorcerer who gets her ass handed to her all the time, even in full buffs.  You do not have a character like this.  I know casters are fragile from firsthand experience.

It took you over forty lines to argue absolutely nothing.  I'd say that is the definition of long-winded.

Long-winded:

1) talking or writing at tedious length: long-winded after-dinner speakers.
2) continued to a tedious length in speech or writing: another of his long-winded election speeches.
3) able to breathe deeply; not tiring easily.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
Because definitions are how people percieve things, buddy.  People define things as being false or true based on how they percieve information.

Christopher Columbus had an idea that the world was round, and defined it so through expression of words and the proving of his idea.

Albert Einstien defined physics.  He clarified his idea and promoted theories and laws that are important today in bringing about new ideas.

Benjamin Franklin did not invent electricity, but he helped to define it.

Here's one last definition for you, Bud.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Define:

act of defining word: the act or process of defining what a word or expression means, e.g. in writing a dictionary

clarification: the act of describing or stating something clearly and unambiguously
----------------------------------------------------------------

The way we define things promote new ideas and ways of thinking that are, sometimes, better.

I see you as lacking any form of origniality and concept of something that doesn't revolve around yourself. And I percieve you to be becoming narrow-minded in the derailing of this topic.

If you'd like to continue this, feel free to PM me if you'd like Bad_bud.

The fact that you counted the lines in your head with the misguided first impression to "Shoot first, ask questions later" way you're so well known for OOCly, at least from my perception, is just hilarious to me.

Oh, I do have a character like this.  His name is Vicho Cain, and he's a struggling caster.  Suhaib (your PC) PvPed him and "won".  Good job, man.

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Sorry about that, guys.   :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:46:48 PM by Aldarris »

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
I think click-and-attack characters and caster characters are fine how they are, personally...

Pepchko

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
Casters Vs Melee, The Endless Battle.

this title really holds true to this forum topic.

and aldarris, Bad_Bud makes a valid point. Your forum crusades and constantly reciting the Dictionary really is abrasive. we have access to the internet/dictionaries as well mate. we are not changing Laws in a government, so just relax already.  :beatnik:

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
Guys.

Chill.

You're making me feel un-elitist and non-obnoxious.

No more text walls, no more dictionary quotes, no more veiled and not-so-veiled stabs at each other.

Topic was:

What can we do to make casters and non-casters more equal?

Be it through IC means, items, etc.

Let's get back to that. Please?

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
IMO... Casters and non-casters should not be equal. This is not an MMO after all. Casters hold the power of the universe at their hands, at least the high level ones do, but in this setting such power corrupts. When you hold the power of life and death in the palm of your hand... Power corrupts, ultimate power corrupts ultimately. And to quote Spiderman, "with great power comes great responsibility"...

Sig by Garison

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
but why? It's so fun to see aldarris rumble on and on and on and bad_bud try to shut him up! If they stop, we might actually say something constructive around here!

On a serious now, aldarris, just stop typing on every subject thirty lines worth of text twice a day mate. I mean, seriously. Who gave you the idea you're the super constructive critism guy and all of us like to read you blahblahing? I mean BLAH BLAH BLAH every day! Jeesh!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
What really confuses me is that in PnP, Fighters and such don't get max-rolled HP like they do here. Which means that whilst people might rage at the concept of a Maximised IGMS doing 240 HP damage, the average level 15 Fighter in PnP might have around 120 HP, barely enough to survive a non-maximised one.

High HP classes get buffed here in that their Hit Points are maximised, which isn't a massive bonus for casters. After all, if a caster rolls a 1 on his HP and has 14 Con, he gets 3 HP, half what his maximum would be if he'd rolled a 4. If a Barbarian rolls a 1..... You get the idea.

Main power for Casters here comes from resting every 30 mins. Just consider, if you will, as a completely impractical but nonetheless present solution...

Being able to rest once per REAL LIFE day.

THEN we'd see casters getting their downside.

'course that's impractical, but ya know.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
What really confuses me is that in PnP, Fighters and such don't get max-rolled HP like they do here. Which means that whilst people might rage at the concept of a Maximised IGMS doing 240 HP damage, the average level 15 Fighter in PnP might have around 120 HP, barely enough to survive a non-maximised one.

High HP classes get buffed here in that their Hit Points are maximised, which isn't a massive bonus for casters. After all, if a caster rolls a 1 on his HP and has 14 Con, he gets 3 HP, half what his maximum would be if he'd rolled a 4. If a Barbarian rolls a 1..... You get the idea.

Main power for Casters here comes from resting every 30 mins. Just consider, if you will, as a completely impractical but nonetheless present solution...

Being able to rest once per REAL LIFE day.

THEN we'd see casters getting their downside.

'course that's impractical, but ya know.

Then fighters should should retain their exhaustion for a REAL LIFE day to be balanced. :p

mayvind

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
MAX IGMS dont do 240 here just reminder but i like concept of it   :P !, Caster been nerf too much already over the year. If some of the old player remember my Character name Sharian, 20 level sorcerer spammer of spells. No fighter can take her down, except a rogue/assasin whom follow her around for hours and take her while she off guard now that dedication.

Fighter win over rogue type whom have more chance agaist mage ( cleric beat shit out of every class ), and Mage rape fighter IF prepare.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:53:38 PM by mayvind »

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Then fighters should should retain their exhaustion for a REAL LIFE day to be balanced. :p

The balance in PnP is that whilst your Wizard or Sorceror can blast around with superpowers for as long as their spells last, there is no limit on smacking a guy with a hammer.

If you're saying Fighters should have exhaustion stay, seems only logical that the same goes for casters?

In any case.... There's a lot of sources of casters beating meleers around here. One is magic items, one is constant rest ability, one is stupid NWN spells.

There's the nerf to cheesy spells and spellcombos that's doing the third one. So perhaps we should be looking at the other two.

Thoughts?

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
 :dancing:

I don't blahblah anything.  Most everything of what I say makes sense.

And I love being called a crusader, and a champion.  It's a prestigious title when it's not sarcastic, and even if it is...there's some quote on people who use sarcasm somewhere...can't think of it off the top of my head.

Then again, I use sarcasm sometimes to get a point across.

Fact is, I am positive 90% of the time unless someone pushes me, I respect my fellow players even if we disagree, and I help people with whatever they come to me with.

If you see what I do to be negative, that's your issue, and not mine or anyone else's, since I'm quite happy of what I do, and so is the majority.

If you don't like detailed descriptions, or an original way of seeing things, don't read my posts.  I won't be offended.

Now, to contribute to the thread it would be great if in the exhaustion system had two parts to it.  One that measured movement, and one that measured combat or casting.  Both values would be measured somehow to gradually make the character exhausted.  Every spell casted would add to the exhaustion, with a small increased value tacked on depending on what level spell it was, so if someone casted in haste it wouldn't matter.  Casting spells would be at a value of 25-50% higher than normal combat, considering harnessing magic is just as taxing on the body, if not more than physical feats.

Everyone has exhaustion.  Spellcasters have it too, but feel it a little more than other classes because they have short spurts of great power, but they're limited due to the fact they can't keep up with the power they create as well as someone who trains physically every day.  Thus, multiclassed wizards should be taken into consideration as well.  If someone opts to make a 10 fighter/ 10 wizard...well, that PC should be more physically fit to resist exhaustion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:16:37 PM by Aldarris »

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2010, 06:21:24 PM »
, considering harnessing magic is just as taxing on the body, if not more than physical feats.

Er.

Where did you get this idea?

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
Think about it.  Spells are physically taxing.  Shapeshifting and polymorph are painful transformations, or should be.  Summoning lightning and channeling it into a spell from the weave requires both physical and mental output for a class that doesn't focus in physical aspects half as much as a melee class.

Ever read a book in where a powerful caster unleashes their spells in a ditch effort to destroy something, or level a city, or whatever...?

There's that feel-good feeling that if the caster you're rooting for succeeds, he's exhausted and breathing heavily afterwards...maybe having expended most of his energy, whether it be from the weave or physically from their body.  Maybe he/she even collapses after they prevail.

If we were watching disney maybe, and Merlin used a small cantrip to simply clean the house while singing a cute song, sure.

But if that much power is brought about from seemingly nothing, well that would be quite a bit more taxing than having a sword in your hand and swinging it.

And if that caster did level whatever it was, or expended a great deal of power to protect themselves, they'd be physically and mentally exhausted afterwards.

It's just seeing outside the box  really for me.

Again, think about it.  You're bellowing out words of power, moving your limbs drawing runes in the air, and bringing physical or elemental power into existance from a power source you can't see or feel otherwise.  Same thing goes for arcane or divine casters regardless.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:54:42 PM by Aldarris »

nakedxXbeauty

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
Think about it.  Spells are physically taxing.  Shapeshifting and polymorph are painful transformations, or should be.  Summoning lightning and channeling it into a spell from the weave requires both physical and mental output for a class that doesn't focus in physical aspects half as much as a melee class.

Ever read a book in where a powerful caster unleashes their spells in a ditch effort to destroy something, or level a city, or whatever...?

There's that feel-good feeling that if the caster you're rooting for succeeds, he's exhausted and breathing heavily afterwards...maybe having expended most of his energy, whether it be from the weave or physically from their body.  Maybe he/she even collapses after they prevail.

If we were watching disney maybe, and Merlin used a small cantrip to simply clean the house while singing a cute song, sure.

But if that much power is brought about from seemingly nothing, well that would be quite a bit more taxing than having a sword in your hand and swinging it.

And if that caster did level whatever it was, or expended a great deal of power to protect themselves, they'd be physically and mentally exhausted afterwards.

It's just seeing outside the box  really for me.

Again, think about it.  You're bellowing out words of power, moving your limbs drawing runes in the air, and bringing physical or elemental power into existance from a power source you can't see or feel otherwise.  Same thing goes for arcane or divine casters regardless.

I agree with this.  I also like to take into consideration the constitution of the caster.  I play a cleric who has a pretty low constitution score, so after a long string of spells to buff others up I like to play that she's tired from it, just because I don't see someone like that being able to spew out spell after spell and not somehow feel physically taxed.