Author Topic: Alchemy.  (Read 11235 times)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
Re: Alchemy.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
Budly if they wanted to explore they wouldn't ask.

Curropted Trent essence (Throwable) 2d4 negative damage, Entangles.

Just throwing that out there.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Budly if they wanted to explore they wouldn't ask.

Spoiler: show
Curropted Trent essence (Throwable) 2d4 negative damage, Entangles.

Just throwing that out there.

I think what he means is it would be nice for some spoiler tags for the respect of others.

Is that a real essence  :shock:! Bad-ass!

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »
Ah no lol thats just an idea xD

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:55 AM »
Ah no lol thats just an idea xD

You disappoint me, Mr. lolJohnFerro!

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »
Makeing people Sigh, laugh, and curse That is way of the loljohn ferro!
Also another idea!
Spider venom and an acid varnish combination (Throwable) Launches a acidic varnish which eats away at you skin and strength. 1d2 strength damage, 1d6 acid.

Forral

• New to the Mists
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
I have a short list here where I drew up a few herbs with brief descriptions and areas of use. I never actually finished the list, and also never made use of it for anything because I dropped the project in which I had planned to make use of them. The intention back then was to use them in a low-magic setting, where herbalism and alchemcy would displace the more profound effects of actual spellcraft, and be much more accepted by the superstitious locals - similar to Ravenloft. Because of the locals' superstition I wanted to portray these herbs more along the lines of a fictional natural medicine, rather than something that would actually create magical effects through semi-supernatural means.

I figured I could post them here though and you could grab what you want - if anything.

Black moss
These dark, dry mosses grow almost exclusively on fallen trees, or around the trunk of dead and dying trees. It is not a moss per definition but rather a type of lichen that parasitically drains the tree of its vital nutrients and water. Black moss, ground into fine powder and moistened, makes a thick, starchy paste that when placed upon, for example a snake bite, can absorb the poison and prevent it from causing harm.

Blood Weed
Found around inland lakes and along brooks and creeks, these blood-red, razor-sharp growths can cause many unintended lacerations. The cuts caused by trampling into a patch of blood weed may only be shallow, but an anticoagulant within the plant, similar to that of mosquitoes and leeches, will also ensure that the bleeding will be profusive and enduring.

Blood weed is only rarely used for medical purposes, but it has seen much use by nefarious individuals. The poison can be applied directly to the blade of a weapon, simply by carefully stroking the Bloodweed against the edge and pressing out the poison unto it.

Red Root
While actually possessing a dull greyish colour, red root derives its name from the colour of the soil where it is usually found. Red root grows in soil rich with minerals such as copper and iron, causing the ground to be reddish in colour. It grows just below the plant litter where a keen eye can sometimes spot the root immediately after brushing leafs and twigs away.

If chewed, red root is a powerful hallucinogen and may cause nausea, disorientation and general confusion. However, when only a small amount of red root distillate is mixed with a fluid and ingested, this effect is much less pronounced, instead providing the consumer with a sense of well being and calm, relieving anxiety and sometimes even panic.

Widow’s Wort
Black like a widow’s dress, these herbs are fragile and need very specific environments in order to grow and thrive. They need almost perpetual shade to shield it from the burning rays of sunlight and they enjoy humid environments. Because of that it is rarely they are found in any areas but underground, in caverns, or under the thick canopy of elder forests.

After brewed in boiling water, Widow’s Wort makes a bitter, foul tasting tea that is known to quickly make consumer alert and wide awake as well as relieving him from muscle fatigue. Although similar to effects of a short nap, repeated consumption should not be considered an alternative for a good night’s sleep – as it may cause damage to internal organs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:22:30 AM by Forral »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »
Those are great Forral, will steal from them as much as I can ;)

A lot of other good suggestions too, thanks.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
After reading some of the discussion on the melee vs caster thread, and the idea of charged items to help balance out the two... I kind of thought it might be nice if we had an alchemy recipe(very high end) that allowed for a sort of magic recharge device.  The materials could be very rare(or expensive if a special material had to be purchased to make it), and when the varnish created is applied to an item, it restores 1 charge to it.  These would be very valuable and highly sought after, so as long as the materials were very rare, they wouldn't be overly abused.

Sage - When stories come to life

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 03:48:51 AM »
I still could use more suggestions for alchemy ingredients, but what I need is ideas to what creatures could drop what, and what essence it should yield - in ways that abides the current scheme - meaning fire, cold, acid, electricity or magical, either strong, medium or weak. It's also by far the best if the creatures you use are things that already spawn in the module. This assures a quick implementation.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:23 AM »
so only the old availale varnishes from new types of creatures?

coldstones[already drop] give cold, either weak or strong
Snow Golem either Ice or Magical strong or greater

harigann[or whatever the minimal fire minions are] - weak fire

gray ooze - acid same line as puddings

rust monster - acid strong, possibly greater purely on its rareity

more things from the various demons, I need too consider this more
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:48:55 AM by HellsPanda »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 04:40:48 AM »
shadows - weak negative energy varnish, ectoplasm or something like that

could do strong with the Coal mines and Silver mines shadow creatures

and Greater from Zalaph's dragon blood

I know this isnt what you asked for now, just brainstorming with Jinx and Arden about things, and it came up
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:44:28 AM by HellsPanda »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
the oozes and leeches in Ivlis swamp - strong acid

mephits - their element, weak .... I only know of Ice Mephits for sure

imps - stinger - acid weak
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:00:51 AM by HellsPanda »

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 05:51:43 AM »
Just an idea on something that alchemy might make other than just varnishes:

An elemental resist of temporary duration that was for one specific type of element only, based on the component.

An example for acids would be

Lesser: perhaps comparable to the energy resist spell but acid resist only

Medium: comparable to energy protection but again only for acid

Greater: comparable to Energy Buffer, acid only

An alternative might be

Lesser /5 acid resist of a determined duration

Medium /10 acid resist of a determined duration

Greater /20 acid resist of a determined duration

These could be made during the secondary phase of alchemy by mixing the distillation from the first phase with a source of grease such as lard or goose fat, which could be bought like resin is, (Vistani baby fat is probably right out due to the prohibitive cost in curses and dps) to yield a salve which could be applied to the skin.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:54:34 AM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
woo... I like that! Stupid acid seath, here I come!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
Just an idea on something that alchemy might make other than just varnishes:

An elemental resist of temporary duration that was for one specific type of element only, based on the component.

An example for acids would be

Lesser: perhaps comparable to the energy resist spell but acid resist only

Medium: comparable to energy protection but again only for acid

Greater: comparable to Energy Buffer, acid only

An alternative might be

Lesser /5 acid resist of a determined duration

Medium /10 acid resist of a determined duration

Greater /20 acid resist of a determined duration

These could be made during the secondary phase of alchemy by mixing the distillation from the first phase with a source of grease such as lard or goose fat, which could be bought like resin is, (Vistani baby fat is probably right out due to the prohibitive cost in curses and dps) to yield a salve which could be applied to the skin.

Nice idea!

I just remember one thing I've had on me for a long time...not able to do anything with it: "Alhoon ichor" ...I would imagine something from that yelding the strongest magical or negative energy varnish....I'd vote for magical due to the theme of the place it's found.

Jotem

• Undead Master
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 07:20:02 AM »
Shadows: I still favour the idea of darkness being created from them, but negative energy varnishes is also a great possibility.

The 'Purple' Dungeon:

Xeg-yen's: (negative energy orb) Lesser Negative Energy.
Soul Beckoner: Lesser Negative Energy.
Appereation: Lesser Negative Energy.
Drelb: Lesser Negative Energy.
Wight: Lesser Negative Energy.

Caller In Darkness: Strong Negative Enegy.
Trilloch: Strong Negative Energy.
Negative Energy Elemental: Strong Negative Enegy.
Bodak: Strong Negative Enegy.

Swordwraith: Greater Negative Energy.
Slaughter Wight: Greater Negative Energy.

Fire Varnishes: Hell Hounds/Cats: Strong Fire. Fire Imps: Lesser Fire.
Cold Varnishes: Ice Mummy's/Bleakborns. Strong Cold. Ice Imps: Lesser Cold.
Acid Varnishes: Rust Monster: Strong Acid. Grey Ooze: Lesser Acid.
Electric Varnish: Hypnos Magnus: Strong Electric. Demos Magnus: Lesser Electric.

Poisons:

Spiders:
(not applicable to spiderlings)
Giant Spider: Dc 14
Sword Spider: Dc 16
Phase/Whisper spider: Dc 18
Dire Spider: Dc 20
Spider Queen/Lesser Shadow Spider : Dc 22
Greater Dire Spider/Shadow Spider: Dc 24

Applicable - Str to Spider Venom.

Snakes:

Young Vipers/Adders: Dc 14
Adult Vipers/Adders: Dc 16
Shadow Asp: Dc 18
Hypno Snakes: Dc 20
Cobra's (other domain): Dc 22
Large Shadow Asp: Dc 24

Applicable - Con to Snake Venom.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
I second all the ideas provided.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 03:18:31 AM »
I have a silly idea. Some time ago for some mistake apparently thugs in Dementlieu occasionally dropped crimson lichens. Is it possible suggesting that some alchemical ingredients are also, rarely, in some specific monsters who are not strictly related to the varnish itself? It makes sense to me a common robber might have put hands on something and kept... Well just a silly idea.

I think also grave oozes should have some form of reagents. They spawn in Barovia's crypts from mid-spawn to higher, not so common, but not very rare either.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
Alchemy regents are far to hard to come by compared to herbs, they do need to drop more.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
Shadows: I still favour the idea of darkness being created from them, but negative energy varnishes is also a great possibility.

I'm not certain how the varnishes are coded exactly, but can they be made to be a varnish with a minor negative energy damage on weapons/ammo but cause dark when thrown?

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »

I'm not certain how the varnishes are coded exactly, but can they be made to be a varnish with a minor negative energy damage on weapons/ammo but cause dark when thrown?

Probably yes: On-hit darkness.

But that would certainly be powerful.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Jotem

• Undead Master
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »

I'd think 'On Hit' Spells/Effects via Alchemy Reagents would be a bit over the top, perhaps in time (Craft Level/Time for such effects to be discussed/inplemented) it is possible, but as Alchemy is a fair young Craft by standards, simplicity is best.
To keep it to the basics IE: xdx amount of Elemental/Energy Damage, low form of spell.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »

I'd think 'On Hit' Spells/Effects via Alchemy Reagents would be a bit over the top, perhaps in time (Craft Level/Time for such effects to be discussed/inplemented) it is possible, but as Alchemy is a fair young Craft by standards, simplicity is best.
To keep it to the basics IE: xdx amount of Elemental/Energy Damage, low form of spell.

I was thinkling more in something like "throwing a shadow elixir": darkness where it lands.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
Unless it's been removed recently, you can buy Bottled Black in a store.
I honestly don't see there being a reason why something similar can't be made via alchemy.
(This coming from someone who almost never uses potions.
Unless he accidentally drops one on himself instead of on the ground...)

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
Unless it's been removed recently, you can buy Bottled Black in a store.
I honestly don't see there being a reason why something similar can't be made via alchemy.

The ability to make this alchemy, especially if it lasted a bit longer than a level 3 spell, would be great for rp.

Snow Golems currently do not drop a component, what about something on par with Iron Golems (high end and magical varnish) since they are also a construct?

Ice Mummies could drop Dessicated lungs. two reagents per mummy, mid level varnish in cold.

It would be great to see more 28 DC reagents as they would help higher end alchemists with more options for gaining cxp.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:12:35 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...