You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Need nerd help  (Read 3840 times)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
Need nerd help
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »
E-Machine 2ghz, with a gig of ram. Basically its the bare bones bought it and plugged it I'm model.

I picked up an Nvidia gforce 210 (yes i know its the sucky one) and follwed the following instructions to install it. Disable the current driver for my motherboards chipset, turn off comp, install card, turn on comp, and use install CD.

Problem is as soon as i rebooted it to use the install CD the comp wouldn't boot up right and it would take forever and be jammed like the radar in spaceballs. 100% CPU usage and like 15 min to load everything. I tried installing the drivers in safe mode and naturally they didn't want to install that way properly so i had to do the "forever to boot wait" and after an hour or two i managed to install the drivers so that they didn't yellow flag in my driver list. You would think at this point i would be done but no, everytime i try to boot up i get the 100% CPU usage boot up problem and nothing will run.

Anyone have any ideas? I went to my remove programs menu in the control panel and deleted any other graphics drivers that i saw and it didn't help could i have something elsewhere causing a conflict of some sort and if so is there a free pogram somewhere to get rid of it etc? Hopefully one of you can help I miss my POTM fix.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
Re: Need nerd help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »
[Straps her nerd hat on.]

You have bigger issues, if you're constantly locked at 100% CPU usage.

I would take it off the internet entirely, and begin running virus scanners.  Safe mode if you have to.
Delete Me.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
There's really no way it could be a virus.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but you might have damaged part of the chipset while installing your card.  Static electricity is the bane of computer internals, and you might not even realize something happened.  It could be any number of things.

It would make sense because if something got zapped, there'd be a break in the circuit and to compensate everything else would be overloading

My advice is to make sure you setup a workstation on a glass table, or on the kitchen floor, away from any rugs. Remove the card, put everything back the way it was (Really carefully)...perform a system restore to a previous time and see if your computer works again.  Be as careful as possible putting the computer back the way it was, and if it works once you restore it, make sure to be as equally as careful installing the video card.

If you perform the restore, and things still aren't working properly, something might have been damaged.

:nailbite:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:50:56 PM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »
[Straps her nerd hat on.]

You have bigger issues, if you're constantly locked at 100% CPU usage.

I would take it off the internet entirely, and begin running virus scanners.  Safe mode if you have to.
Only runs at 100% cpu when those video drivers the card came with are installed.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
There's really no way it could be a virus.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but you might have damaged part of the chipset while installing your card.  Static electricity is the bane of computer internals, and you might not even realize something happened.  It could be any number of things.

It would make sense because if something got zapped, there'd be a break in the circuit and to compensate everything else would be overloading

My advice is to make sure you setup a workstation on a glass table, or on the kitchen floor, away from any rugs. Remove the card, put everything back the way it was (Really carefully)...perform a system restore to a previous time and see if your computer works again.  Be as careful as possible putting the computer back the way it was, and if it works once you restore it, make sure to be as equally as careful installing the video card.

If you perform the restore, and things still aren't working properly, something might have been damaged.

:nailbite:
When i remove the new card and go back to plugging my monitor into the motherboard again with the old drivers it runs fine so it dosent look like i burned anything up. It seems to be some kind of driver conflict but i even cleaned my registry with comodo. Hopefully i will be up mon night im bringing my computer savy friend over to look at it mon night. If the card itself is bad im going to be so mad after 4 hours of trying to figure it out i may get a DP point in RL!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
Did you buy the video card used?
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
Did you buy the video card used?
Nope brand new.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Might be a power supply issue. Check the specs and make sure your PSU is big enough to handle the power demands. Also, sometimes what you read on the box is not the same as the manufacture specs, check their recommendation for the size of the PSU.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
What Windows version are you using?

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
"Only runs at 100% cpu when those video drivers the card came with are installed."

Why don't you download a more recent driver release, if that even exist. My Radeon HD sucked most games until I got more recent releases, they came with fixes.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
"Only runs at 100% cpu when those video drivers the card came with are installed."

Why don't you download a more recent driver release, if that even exist. My Radeon HD sucked most games until I got more recent releases, they came with fixes.

Yes, it is likely the manufacturer bundled an outdated set of drivers.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
[Update] Was damage from a virus that had been zapped awhile back. We found a file in my temporary internet files that we couldn't delete. SO oh the horror i had to wipe the drive and start over. The good news is it fixed all the problems and runs great now, the bad news is i cant find my copy protection code for my NWN Cd's. Should get a new copy wed night and be back by Thurs sometime with a headache after installing/patching/CEP/sever files....CRIES!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Vidraun

• New to the Mists
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
In need of software nerd help.

I am missing the following files, and let me make it clear beforehand that I found them and put them in the HAK folder to know avail server says I still need them installed:
CEP2_core0.hak
CEP2_core6.hak
CEP2_custom.hak
CEP2_crp.hak
CEP2_top_v21.hak
CEP2_top_v22.hak
rl_tiletextures.hak / rl_tilesetaddons.hak
rl_ruralcity.hak    / rl_placeables.hak
rl_mountain.hak / rl_creatures.hak
rl_addons.hak   / rl_2da_v168.hak
IDK wtf is up but its driving my irish drunkin mind to new limits of omgness  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
lawl n00blet. j/k. Double check that your HAK folder has the appropriate files. C:\NeverwinterNights\HAK\ or something like that.

If not there, find them and place them in there.

If you can't find them, you can download the rl_xxxx on the Downloads page off this site.

You can find CEP2 on nwvault.ign.com or a google search.

I think you may have to create a copy of CEP2_top_v21.hak and rename it to CEP2_top_v22.hak amirite? (or was that for a different file)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
Or bad cep download.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella