Author Topic: *BUMP* Zalaph and his treasure  (Read 5279 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
*BUMP* Zalaph and his treasure
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
This is a bump and has been suggested at least 10 times the two years I've been here :)

Zalaph should take all the important treasure from his minions and store it in his own treasure pile so he can chase away all those pesky thieves who steal it.
When a random chest has a belt of inertial barrier and zalaph has two rings (non magical) and five hundred gold, can you blame thieves for trying to steal the minion's treasure?
It's not a surprise that dungeon is almost always max; people avoid bothering the spawn and just loot. And RIGHTLY so I might add.

My suggestion is to double or better yet tripple zalaph's treasure value and halve the rest.
Has been described as a sometimey player

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
Re: *BUMP* Zalaph and his treasure
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
The treasure, short of max, is resold garbage. That is why it's always max. There's little point to committing to it before then. The people I play with hit it frequently.

Alas, Zalaph never has anything, but atleast he's worth xp.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
No thrill from the kill?   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

mayvind

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
Zalaph XP is the lowest compare to the highlevel-boss difficulty.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
I know of one player who uses this tactic.  I won't mention it for the sake of keeping an exploit under wraps.

This solution would not only completely negate the exploiter(s), but also it would add more of a sense of accomplishment from completing the dungeon.

I've said it before, but I am all for this idea.
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »
I say scratch the chests and give the dragon a *Drum roll* HORDE! You guessed it! Give the dragon an acutal horde of items! He is a dragon and he does have a pile of unclickable gold! But get every chest in that dungen and place them all surronded by a few piles of gold in the dragons lair! And Viola You have a worthwhile dungen with a fun boss! Maybe give the shadow dragon a few allies in the last room with him to up the difficulty even more. But hey I say give him a horde and make him a legit dragon. Thank you good night!  :D

Lockleed

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
I like the idea of a horde at the end as opposed to the scattered chests.  I -also- think this horde should only be available if you defeat Zalaph.  No more ninja looting of the place.

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
The treasure in the coal mine is worthy. But I believe Zalaph should have more treasure or even better treasure than the chests hold. I would hate to have the chests removed or lessened because the coal mine is a challenge anyway. But I think I group capable of killing Zalaph should be highly rewarded.

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
  Zalaph is far easier than the rest of the coal mine, unless the shadow creatures have been nerfed.  If you gave him all the treasure people will just bypass the coal cave and kill him, leaving the same problem.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:24 AM »
Well if you want to cheat and skip everything and not enjoy the dungen then thats you im sure not everyone is so amazing they can ninja past everything and get to the dragon then KILL him to get to the horde.

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:57 AM »
Well if you want to cheat and skip everything and not enjoy the dungen then thats you im sure not everyone is so amazing they can ninja past everything and get to the dragon then KILL him to get to the horde.

Yes, a potion of invisibility is amazing.  While it would be nice to see the nanja-looters have to earn the loot from the coal caves, putting it all on a boss you can easily reach without killing the minions is a poor solution.
  Now, if any creature in the coal caves that were still alive were ported to the dragon once he started fighting, that would be different.

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06:24 AM »
The only problem is Zalaph's AI. He has an IQ of 3, but when I possesed him, he tore through people with ease.

I'm against giving him better loot, because, frankly, he's silly.

However!

If the AI went up, I would be for treasure, also..

but if someone can simply run circles around him, while he tries to cast inane things repeatedly, then kill him for uber loot..  well.. I'd be displeased. :(
Delete Me.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Failed, if you think it that way, then yes, Zalaph shouldn't have good loot. It is a valid point.

However, I don't find the rest of the dungeon THAT hard either... It can be soloed if someone is carefull and prepares appropriatelly, even on max spawn. The whole idea is though that you MUST kill Zalaph, you can't simply stroll by and steal everything he has.

(well, actually I had done it with an 11th level char but back when negative protection stopped ability drain. But I would never imagine that character soloing Zalaph!)

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Should the place easily be solable when team play is one of the server's goals?

Giving the Dragon better loot doesn't help anything except imbalance? Make the dragon harder perhaps to justify.

However, I don't find the rest of the dungeon THAT hard either... It can be soloed if someone is carefull and prepares appropriatelly, even on max spawn. The whole idea is though that you MUST kill Zalaph, you can't simply stroll by and steal everything he has.

(well, actually I had done it with an 11th level char but back when negative protection stopped ability drain. But I would never imagine that character soloing Zalaph!)

Risk = reward then.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
Gives all the creatures true sight and give the dragon a horde. Thats the best thing I can think of.

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »
I couldl give him better loot, but posses him.

It'd fix the balance issue.

The morninglords would need a new, bigger graveyard though. Hm.
Delete Me.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »
Was Zalaph not supposed to be uberfied to what he's supposed to be?  An epic level dragon shadowdancer?  He casts improved invis and shadow shield, then tears through people using HIPS and melee...

What happened to that awesome idea?
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »
He doesnt need HIPS. IF a DM posses him, in combat, the party will die. There isn't an IF, there. Unless it's a party of multiple high level casters, the party is dead.

He's exceptionally brutal.
Delete Me.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 01:31:35 AM »
He doesnt need HIPS. IF a DM posses him, in combat, the party will die. There isn't an IF, there. Unless it's a party of multiple high level casters, the party is dead.

He's exceptionally brutal.

I need to try this..  :lol:

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »
Acid, what I meant was that since the rest of the dungeon has the better treasure, someone soloing could easily forget totally about the dragon, kill off everything else and never have a second thought. As it is now, it's the dungeon that people focus, not the dragon at the end. Many times we just do the dungeon and skip the dragon alltogether because there is not much point in killing him -beyond bragging rights.

(Besides, you get a lot more xp sitting around the outskirts and simply talking anyway so I don't think xp is the issue)

Personally I think he's tough enough. If you don't beat him in the rounds during which he spams spells and he goes into melee, he's just as bad as the adamantium golem or the gloom :D Although you will NEVER hear from me the need to nerf enemies. Most places have been nerfed bad enough :D

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
switch out the dragon and put gloom in there and make him randomly apear in the dungen thatll keep em on thier toes! xD

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
No one can evade his Melee attacks with pure AC, for the most part.   I'd say he hits 90% of builds.

He's scaarrrryyy when possesed, but again, thats because the AI is retarded. :) Yay NWN!
Delete Me.

Kaspar

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
No one can evade his Melee attacks with pure AC, for the most part.   I'd say he hits 90% of builds.

He's scaarrrryyy when possesed, but again, thats because the AI is retarded. :) Yay NWN!

Will he be able to hit a 65ish AC? >_>

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
Yes.  Not all the time, but yes.
Delete Me.

Kaspar

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
Yes.  Not all the time, but yes.

Yeah, Zalaph is pretty scary if he starts melee. I know he has a 45-50ish AB now, but he never uses it because he tends  to spam his breathe weapon for the entire fight. Usually does that when people have the immunity to negative damage cleric buff up. (Level 9 version)