Author Topic: Shadows  (Read 1359 times)

Kaldo

• Outlander
Shadows
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
 The Shadows, as we can see them in Nwn Wiki (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow) are too strong in my opinion. Their touch attack that does 1d6 Strength Damage Without Save is too strong. Well, if it is a touch attack, then only dex, dodge and deflection bonus makes a difference in Ac.

Let's imagine a rogue lvl 9 with 12 str and 18 dex. Their Ac will be 10 +4 (dex) + 1(dodge) + 1 deflection. if you want you can even get +2 dex from Cat's grace and +1 dodge from a scroll of mage armor.  that means 18 touch Ac.

Now if you fight only against one shadow that means it will hit you in a 17, and you will hit it with a 3 or 4. That means you can sealy kill the shadow without getting hit. But remember. This is only against 1 shadow, you are to high lvl for it, you are the ideal class to defeat it and have awsome equipment.

Now.. a rogue usually isn't the tank, and we rarelly fight against 1 shadow, and it isn't at lvl 9, and rarelly are we prepared to find them if they are right outside a door.

Let's see this team, a rogue, a cleric, a fighter, a wizard.  Now, if they are all lvl 9 then we must get an appropriate challenge. I don't think 6 shadows is sopposed to be a challenge for such a grou so let's see such a fight.

Let's soppose the team knows they are going to fight shadows. They decide the rogue to go in front, the others to stay back and shoot with a crossbow. The rogue will get killed in 3 attacks. If each of the shadows has 15% chance to hit, they can all fail in the first round, and your team kill 3, but then they will hit and get the rogue dead. Now, the fighter will decide, I will go in front so they don't get hit. But they hit the fighter in a 11 or more, so even if they kill the shadows they will deal 2d6 str damage before they die.

I don't think such a group with good equipment, lvl 9, 4 organized members, knowing what is the fight is sopposed to fight 6 shadows with challenge rating 3 and the rogue dies and the fighter finishes the fight with 6 str.

Remember that usually there isn't such a good group, we only fight 6 shadows, we know what we are going to fight and have such a luck with rolls.

In my opinion this could be avoided getting a Fortitude Dc to the ability drain or getting them to do this attack from time to time

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Shadows
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
A smart lvl 9 rogue would have at least 10 ranks in tumble, thus +2 dodge AC. Not like this would make any big difference but every detail counts when we deal with AC.

failed.bard

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
  PotM doesn't use default shadows, except in cases where DMs spawn them in.  The shadows here do a single point of strength drain, it gives a fort saves, and they have to make a normal hit attack.

Kaldo

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »
  PotM doesn't use default shadows, except in cases where DMs spawn them in.  The shadows here do a single point of strength drain, it gives a fort saves, and they have to make a normal hit attack.

Ah so that is what happened. [waves fist in anger to all Dms].. Just joking the events were awesome. But I think there is no point in continuing this thread, thanks for the answer.