Author Topic: Writing Contest, 14,000 coins in prizes!  (Read 2046 times)

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
Writing Contest, 14,000 coins in prizes!
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:57:31 AM »

((OOC:
HOW TO ENTER
Send your short story and/or poem by forum pm to either me or +Ciaran+. Make the subject of the pm be "Author's Contest". In the body of the pm, first write the name of the character submitting the writing, then the title of the writing, then the writing itself. Each written work must be 7000 characters or less, and not contain sexually explicit subject matter. All works must be your own, original creation. All entries must be received by January 30 at 11:59 PM GMT. Winners will be announced probably within a week after that. Members of Les Chats are judging, therefore members of Les Chats are not eligible to enter. Contact +Ciaran+ or me with questions.

Just to clarify, one entry per character per category. In other words, each character may submit one poem and one story. Therefore obviously players with more than one character may enter twice for each character that its appropriate to do so with. We're trusting that no one will have their illiterate 8 INT barbarian suddenly find a muse deep in their soul, though. :P  ))

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:46:17 AM by Green Monster »
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Re: Writing Contest, 14,000 coins in prizes!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
*polite bump*
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Red Punk

• New to the Mists
  • The Araguaya Gerrilla still alive in our Hearts!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »
Only an  quick comment, to start in this forum:

Good Initiative! Even though a newcomer here, i wanted to participate in this kind of In-Ooc event. But i never use the English before to write an literary text... I feel that who have English as mother-tongue have great advantage. Modernists styles of Poetry will be accepted, since have an adequate theme? May i  concur with a translation from an already existent poem of my own language?
Outro Brasil é Possível

Another Brazil is Possible

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
*quiet bump*

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:51:39 AM »
Only an  quick comment, to start in this forum:

Good Initiative! Even though a newcomer here, i wanted to participate in this kind of In-Ooc event. But i never use the English before to write an literary text... I feel that who have English as mother-tongue have great advantage. Modernists styles of Poetry will be accepted, since have an adequate theme? May i  concur with a translation from an already existent poem of my own language?

((OOC: You can use any style of poetry you want, but this is NOT an OOC contest. The poetry will have to be submitted by your character, therefore, while you can use the style of a real world modernist and just assume your character to be particularly innovative, you CANNOT mention modern technology like cars, airplanes, toasters, electricity, or anything else that doesn't exist in-game.

Also, you CANNOT translate something someone else wrote. You CANNOT in any way use ANYTHING created by anyone but you. This is for your own original writing only. Any entries found to be plagiarized in any way will be disqualified.))
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:00:37 PM by Green Monster »

Red Punk

• New to the Mists
  • The Araguaya Gerrilla still alive in our Hearts!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
Yes, i understand.And dont need plagiarize anyone, I have confidence in my work. =)

but i make a lot of mistakes in inglish... Well i'll try!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:06:26 PM by Red Punk »
Outro Brasil é Possível

Another Brazil is Possible

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
Yes, i understand.And dont need plagiarize anyone, I have confidence in my work. =)

but i make a lot of mistakes in inglish... Well i'll try!

((OOC: Write the poem in your own language, then translate it to English. Poems don't have to rhyme, in fact, I personally usually prefer ones that don't. :D ))

Psyche

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
((OOC: Write the poem in your own language, then translate it to English. Poems don't have to rhyme, in fact, I personally usually prefer ones that don't. :D ))

People tell me all the time,
Poems do not have to rhyme,
It's often better if they don't,
And i'm determined this one won't.

Oh dear.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
// OOC. Poetry is about literary devices and rhythm. It is what differs it from prose, though it can happen prose can be "poetic" using same devices. The presence or not of such devices is not the only things which actually -makes- poetry. An aware absence of them, a willing renounce to use effect such as rhyme, allitteration, or whatever, is also part of poetry. But of course there are some of these things to be considered, not to mismatch poetry with prose written with a different text format.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
// OOC: Yes, it should, I believe, be quite possible to have rhythm translate well from Spanish to English even if the English words don't wind up rhyming. Anyway, do your best. It costs nothing at all to enter and I look forward to reading as many entries as possible.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
// OOC: quiet bump. One week left to accept submissions! Hurry up please it's time! :)