You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: re naming and giving new descreptions to items.  (Read 1808 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
re naming and giving new descreptions to items.
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:34:41 PM »
hello,

something I have been wondering about is the ability to rename items or give new descriptions to them. I know you can do that to parchment. But what about other items, like books or sheet music and so on. Those sort of items seem to be the type that would be written on and give new names and descriptions. I do think this could be nice, to help give a personal touch to items and maybe increase rp opportunities.

What do others thing about this idea?

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
Re: re naming and giving new descreptions to items.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
I think it would also be interesting if crafters could change the names and descriptions of their crafted items to have maker's marks or bring out specific details on the item such as engravings.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
It would also be neat for artists to be able to give unique names and descriptions to paintings
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
Craft oriented, even rp'd 'crafts' such as being a tailor or seamstress, chef or a carpenter of musical instruments, and artistic characters could all benefit from something like this and in turn could add a lot to the setting via the sale and distribution of the pc's creations.  Also I've noticed some very nice items in game have no description at all, so there were times I really wished I could have added one myself.

Considering how well the capability of writing letters and notes has worked out in game, I'd say this would probably work out similarly if implemented.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »
I'm a fan of customizing everything and anything. This and the crafting of cloaks would be tops.  :allears:

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:32:10 AM »
DM's can easily change the name of the items, i have had some items renamed in the past and it takes about 5 seconds. However i dont think its possible to assign new description on the existing items, i dont know whats the situation with scripts today but in the past it was impossible.
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
parchment already allows to given a new description for various notes. Thus being I thought it would be nice to rename other items, rp items like art peices someone creates, or music sheets, and what not.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
I think it might be a bit too much to have free access to. I you're a crafter and you're making a special item just contact the DM's about it.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
The finest use I could see to this is making sure you don't accidentaly pick up an item you had sold off months ago and triggering the item transfer script. Although, if it was free, then I suppose the person who got them would rename it as well as such my thought is void
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Raven

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
If there is a specific roleplay reason for items to be named or have descriptions changed then this can be done by any DM, for example having a sepcific emerald necklas made in Port O Lucine for a loved one with inscriptions on, then have it named and described with an inscription. This is but an example, personally if there is some RP involved with the item then I have no problem spending the short time to name it and have a short description change on the item.

If gives characters I feel a more personal touch with there items. 

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
THREAD RESSURECTION!

Anyways,

I love having anything and -everything- customized via name and description. I absolutely love it.

I will also do it for some people.. If I observe you as a good RPer, and someone that brings something to the table (Server, :P), I wont find much of a problem with carrying out a request or two. 

P.S, descripitions are slightly more difficult, but only slightly.
Delete Me.