Author Topic: When did Invisibility become 100% Useless?  (Read 3248 times)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
When did Invisibility become 100% Useless?
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
Right, so I am sure more than one spell caster character has noticed that when your being attacked by spawns and you turn invisible - they dont care.  They keep chasing and keep attacking.  If your invisible and you walk by a spawn - all of them turn and chase you until you area transition.  What part of invisibility means things can still see you?  Plus, even if they do hear you - your still invisible so they shouldn't be able to chase you and keep attacking you.  Did every monster on the server suddenly get  permanent see invisibility added?  Sorry but this completely ruins the invisibility spell.  May as well just take it out of the spell selection since it no longer serves a purpose on Ravenloft.  Its useless in RP since everyone has See Invis potions (which is fine) but now its useless in PVE too - why dont we just completely remove it from the server and save spellcasters the spell slot?

"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
Re: When did Invisibility become 100% Useless?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:25:50 AM »
It's true that hostile monsters still pursue you even after you're a decent distance away. What I find is that if you come to a stop from running, they stop as well?

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:35:50 AM »
I use it all the time, and it is, by no means useless.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:38:18 AM »
I have no issue's with the spell.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:02:49 AM »
I have no issue's with the spell.

This.

Its useless in RP since everyone has See Invis potions (which is fine) but now its useless in PVE too - why dont we just completely remove it from the server and save spellcasters the spell slot?

My diplomatic half-orc lives in invisibility. The only people who have See Invisibility potions are outlanders and witches anyway, who will not be scared of him for his appearance. Hence, it is useful.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »
The real point of my rant was that its tiring when you turn invisible to escape a hoard of creatures and they completely ignore it.  Even if you run a good distance away and stop running. 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
The real point of my rant was that its tiring when you turn invisible to escape a hoard of creatures and they completely ignore it.  Even if you run a good distance away and stop running. 

That is not POTM's fault, this is something I seen on other servers! Nothing new at all.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »
I think if you cast the spell while still engaged with them then yeah they still know pretty welll where you are, I assume running away creates enough noise to alert them of your movements. If thier animals then put it up to higher senses such smell and hearing. Monsters and what not would have suprenatural senses of both or more.

My mage casts Improved Invis sometimes when he's close to or even in combat.... He never runs away but instead goes stealthy and sneaks away. I find this works rather well. Sure they follow you for a bit but becuase you're being real quiet like they have a harder, shall we say Spot Check to be beat ;) And so nine times out of ten he eventualy looses them  :mrgreen:

Now Lycans, those he just bolts from... He can never seem to shake those beasties... Probably why he fears them so ;)

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
  You have to escape hearing range before they'll stop chasing you.  The spell still provides 50% concealment to represent them approzimating your position when you attack, which is still a useful thing even if they're still swinging.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
  You have to escape hearing range before they'll stop chasing you.  The spell still provides 50% concealment to represent them approzimating your position when you attack, which is still a useful thing even if they're still swinging.

Sadly AoO's and auto-attack almost always cancel this out. Wish there was a way to turn it off.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »

Sadly AoO's and auto-attack almost always cancel this out. Wish there was a way to turn it off.

Closest is to go into stealth mode (not detect) -- you don't make AoOs then.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »

That is not POTM's fault, this is something I seen on other servers! Nothing new at all.

I've never seen it on my Diablo server and that's the NWN engine built on top of the Diablo story.  And trust me, you'll find more monsters there in 30 minutes than you will in a month on POTM. 

Diablo Lord Of Destruction:  Where you go when you just want to kill something.  Mwahahaha. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

basedSHARK

• Outlander
  • I'm back?!
    • My online portfolio!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »
Yeah I feel Invisibility's a little weird on this server. Back on the old PWs I played on, Invisibility potions were a safety net, ALL smart adventurers would carry one, or five. Get into a fight they can't win, or need to make a hasty retreat, pop an invis and GTFO of there. But here it seems going invisible doesn't really do much to save the asses of those trying to flee when a battle goes wrong.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
Invisibility then run some distance away, eventually they can not follow your footsteps and they stop in their tracks. Its still a great way to get away, it just takes some understanding of when to go invisible and where to run away to.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »
Invisibility then run some distance away, eventually they can not follow your footsteps and they stop in their tracks. Its still a great way to get away, it just takes some understanding of when to go invisible and where to run away to.

Once my mage ran into a pack of werewolves, cast both haste and invisibility and had three AI controlled members of that pack follow me not only all away across the map I found them on, but over a transition line and all the way across the next map as well.

Another time I drank an invisibility potion to get away from Ogers in the random caves in the sullen woods, two Ogers followed me out of the caves and then out of the woods. I finally lost them across the transition to the northern farm. 

"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Kaspar

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
.. You must have horrible luck, or perhaps you're not distancing yourself far enough for them to stop following. Though they never follow me to long, depending on the area.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Monsters tend to stop following you if you break out of their line of sight, which is easily done by rounding sharp corners and stepping behind obstacles.

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 02:13:48 AM »
Cornersneaking is your friend!
Order of Zarus Forums

Antonus Taran - Zarusian War Chaplain

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"