You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Will NwN run on windows 7?  (Read 7636 times)

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
Will NwN run on windows 7?
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:55:34 AM »
My laptop computer started having problems the other day.  It would freeze for an indefinate period of time, but it would work perfectly so long as I put pressure on a certain area of the laptop (Right above the motherboard by the 'alt' key).  I opened the back of my computer to find one of my ram chips hanging from it's connector, and plugging it back in didn't fix the problem.  I dismantled my computer completely and could find nothing wrong with it.  last night it died completely.

R.I.P. Gateway laptop

Anyway, I'm looking at a sweet Dell I've customized myself.  But I'm wondering if NwN will run on Windows 7, as it was barely able to run on Vista (needed the XP patch and then could only run it as an administrator)

Any input on either problem would be awesome.  Thanks guys/girls.
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
Re: Will NwN run on windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:07 AM »
I never actually got my computer running nwn properly on windows 7, but I've heard other people have.

failed.bard

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »
  I'm running windows 7 home premium, on the same settings I ran NWN under vista, and have no problems.

If your system will run it under vista, it should run it under 7.  The issue though, is not every setup will run NWN under vista.  In my case, I have to turn off V-Sync or I crash immediately when booting into NWN.  Other than that, Win XP emulation mode, and run it in administrator mode.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
Anything that runs on XP runs on windows 7. It has a windows 7 simulation mode. Works perfectly.

BeautifulSorcery

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »
ok I thought rather than starting a new one I would just add to here, I just got a new laptop and I have windows 7 and when I have installed NWN but when I try to hit play it says the program is blocked due to compatibility issues, how do i fix this?

failed.bard

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:43:46 PM »
  Right clicking on the NWN boot icon, under properties, will have a compatability tab.  Select Windows XP service Pack 2.

That's all I had to do, at least.

BeautifulSorcery

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
Worked great thank you! See you all on soon :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:11:31 AM by BeautifulSorcery »

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
I intrude again in some thread which is similar to my own issue...

Failed says to run it as service pack 2

This is my version: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435).

It is possible my own issues are due to the service pack? *goat stare*
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

jcbarbarossa

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
I'm having difficulty running NWN on Windows 7.  It keeps popping off about a compatability issue.  I went to Properties and Compatability, switched it to Windows XP, service pack 2, but the same compatability issue warning comes up.  Any suggestions?  I really want to play this game.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
click the run as administrator

jcbarbarossa

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
click the run as administrator

Ok, I tried that.  To no avail.  Do I need to change it 'for all users'?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
probably yes
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »

While the laptop that I've been running the game on is being repaired, I am hoping to get the game setup on a spare laptop that is running Windows 7.

There is no auto install options, and so I'm in problem solving mode and came across this thread.

When accessing the disk from the computer menu, I'm shown a list of 28 files present on the disk.

There are three icons for Setup, one being the file type of Application.

It has the option of opening as administrator, as well as opening with the Windows xp with service pack 2.  However, it isn't doing the trick.

Any ideas?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »

While the laptop that I've been running the game on is being repaired, I am hoping to get the game setup on a spare laptop that is running Windows 7.

There is no auto install options, and so I'm in problem solving mode and came across this thread.

When accessing the disk from the computer menu, I'm shown a list of 28 files present on the disk.

It has the option of opening as administrator, as well as opening with the Windows xp with service pack 2.  However, it isn't doing the trick.

Any ideas?

$10, GOG.com? A legitimate solution if you can't get the disk to work.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »

If its that cheap and I don't figure out how to install it from the disk, I may just go with the GOG option.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »
When  you right click on your disk drive from the computer there normally is an option to execute the launching of the CD, on my old Win7 laptop I had to that with every disk due to security setting or something... the auto-exe of disk were disable and I could never found how to change that. But I used to right click on the disk drive in the computer menu and I could start the auto-execute of the CD by there.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »

Most of the suggestions for running nwn on windows 7 that I have come across don't address the specific problem of not being able to install the game from the disk, unfortunately. Maybe the GOG download triggers an installation option, but not the disk.  When the disk is inserted, the window that pops up is just to choose what program you want to view the files on the disk with.

Satyricon

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
Im playing NWN near flawlessly (crashes sometimes)

All I did was copying my old installation from my old Win XP computer.
Just copied the installation folder to an external hard-drive. Then I pasted it into my windows programs folder, and BAM, everything worked, even my old CD keys were intact.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »
I put a Diamond Edition CD in a Windows 7 Home Premium computer and it popped up a box with the option to run autorun.exe. So you may need to reenable that functionality for the drive.

Alternatively...

...clicking on "open in another Window" and then Setup started the Install for me, I didn't follow it through to completion, however, because the laptop already has NWN on it.

Here are some links about autorun enabling:

http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable-nodrivetypeautorun.htm

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967715
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.