You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Western outskirts: Ladies rest and temple  (Read 1712 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Western outskirts: Ladies rest and temple
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
With the new graphic override sparking my interest in re-exploring the server, I noticed something. Both the ladies rest and the morninglord temple in the outskirts don't have ceilings. 'So what?' you'll probably think. Well, it is my humble oppinion that since those are the areas the new players spend their first hours in (the most of the old players too) such a graphic addition would go a long way towards making them look even more pleasing. Perhaps once barovia village and the surrounding areas are finished updated this could be next?

Ceilings go a long way towards adding a graphic 'ooh' note in those areas that can be found.
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
Re: Western outskirts: Ladies rest and temple
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »
Not sure what the official stance is on the graphic override and whether it will be officially adapted. As for the ceilings, personally I hardly ever zoom into my character far enough then tilt the camera enough to take note of any ceilings.  :|

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
Its not officially supported, until we let you know otherwise. Its just an addition playerside.

Pepchko

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
they dont have the ceiling placeable, but it could easily be implemented. there are multiple ceiling placeables in the toolset

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Yup but a church wouldn't have a flat ceiling :) Also the Placeable ceilings are imo just ugly looking since from the wrong angle they'll just clip with the camera.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »
I see placeable ceilings only working if you play the game from a first person perspective, the closest to this the NWN engine employs far as I know is "Drive Camera" Mode. I tried that out a few times but it's mostly a hassle. Top down view makes navigating your toon all the easier anyway. Thus, I can't see the point in having ceilings anyway... Though the few screen shots I've seen with them do make a pretty picture ;)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:19:08 AM »
That's the whole idea actually. To sometimes lower the camera and stare at how pretty things are :) When walking around in places I know, I usually use the first person mode (through the hak of course) to enjoy the view. And just how many times to you really need to carefully navigate inside the lady's or the morninglordian temple? (well, at least when there isn't hell going on lol)
Has been described as a sometimey player

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I tend to agree with Knas. The placeable ceilings usually just make it seem more unnatural than without.