You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Fear  (Read 17035 times)

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
Re: Fear
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
Second that.  We've already got monsters that run to exits after morale failure and go THROUGH them now.  Can we do that too?

Preeetty please?   :D
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
No matter what it can't be perfect, sadly.

Any system that trusts the player to RP fear will be either exploitable, or broken in different contexts.

I hate to point out that it has worked in the past and did not require any scripting. Fear has been roleplayed quite succesfully for over fours years since the server went beta, with a few exceptions here and there.
Some of my most memerobile events as a player and a DM have involved those players who accept their PC's mortality, fear and weaknesses.

This is talking about the actual fear mechanic (the one that used to have skulls flying around you), representing magical fear as inflicted by the Fear spells, Fear auras, and so on and so forth, rather than roleplay fear bought about by events. Entirely different things.

Strife

• Player, Fan
  • Dark Lord
  • Everybody's a Prisoner
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
My mistake then, the bit about exploiting fear without a system led me to beleive otherwise.
I'll admit the NWN engine leaves slot to be desired in regards to pathfinding.

Cheers
Strife

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
Cheers guys.

I had no idea the pathfinding was fixible...this would probably be the easiest and most effective way (for now) to fix the frustration of the fear spell.

We could definately respect our PCs running towards an exit.
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
I actually don't know if the pathfinding is fixable or not, I just know that it's the reason why the Fear spell is so damn annoying. :P

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002