Author Topic: It's "IADUL" not "LADUL" :P  (Read 33884 times)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: It's "IADUL" not "LADUL" :P
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »
Or how about  "Nu" being used to replace EVERYTHING that could possibly be used in remotely the same context as "no" .

Including but not limited to:  No, Not, None (Nu any), Never (Nu ever), and others.

Same with other words too.  People just mix and match stuff to seem cool and native.  God forbid one of the Barovians decides to use "Yes" or "No" instead of "Da" and "Nu" when dealing with outlanders away from the city.  A friend of mine did this and someone threatened to report her to the CC.   Barovians are nu allowed to speak above unu grade vocabulary.  Da.
Haha, I understand what you mean. I also often get cramps in my eyes when people try to do a "Falkovnian" accent. But well I just see it as a funny way of how they perceive the German language to be like.

I have that with the falkovnian and lamordian accents. But its fun so *shrugs*
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Badelaire

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »
Bad accents IG make me cringe, especially bad German ones since I lived in Germany for ten years, but I don't mind them so much if the character's at least convincing as a native. It's when the extent of a native character's development is just affecting a French/German/Slavic/Whatever accent and swapping a few words (often wrongly used in context, gender or form) without any of the lore or racial traits/attitudes that makes me roll my eyes till I'm dizzy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:56:48 AM by Badelaire »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
  When I got on this server for the first time and see people use romanian words I was... hmm.. Romanian server. So I pmed Vladmiri Gainatz and asked him if he is romanian. He said no.
Spoiler: show
Then you know what I did? I told him the translation of his name in English. Look it up, it's funny :)) (google translate the word: Gainat ... no "z").

And to the subject. It's not even "Iadul". The word exists and its translation is "The hell" but the correct translation for that specific curse word (for it is such) be "La dracu" which would word by word be translated as: "To the devil". ;)
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
How I see those using only "Nu" "Da" would be characters who don't have a 100% grasp on common...But as players it can be really hard to remember so many phrases/words for every language. (Especially those of us who did terribly in german class  :( )
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
  When I got on this server for the first time and see people use romanian words I was... hmm.. Romanian server. So I pmed Vladmiri Gainatz and asked him if he is romanian. He said no.
Then you know what I did? I told him the translation of his name in English. Look it up, it's funny :)) (google translate the word: Gainat ... no "z").

And to the subject. It's not even "Iadul". The word exists and its translation is "The hell" but the correct translation for that specific curse word (for it is such) be "La dracu" which would word by word be translated as: "To the devil". ;)

Looking forward to learning the language with you ICly, haha :P

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate, if you go off google translate, nu is proper for 'no', 'not', and 'never'... so a lot of the 'nu' usage is pretty close to right. Not every language in the world is as elegant as english!

That may be correct, but google translate is infamous for being unreliable for understanding context and being 100% accurate.  I failed a few foreign language assignments back in high school using the lazy method. 

Also, "someone" and "Anyone" read "Cineva" and "Oricine" there.  So there is no excuse for things like "Someunu" or  "Anyunu".
Thank you! I've been saying this for years. That's been a gigantic pet peeve of mine.

Well the Ravenloft books name it "Iadul," and Barovians don't really have a concept of "the devil" -- the believe demons dwell in Iadul but not in any sort of demonic/diabolic hierarchy. They don't even believe that evil people go there when they die. To them Iadul is just a scary place where demons live and will come from there to the mortal world if people cast arcane magic.

The point of this thread is because  NWN's font makes a lower case "l" and and uppercase "I" look the same, some people thought it was "Ladul" and I felt it necessary to correct them.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
Well the Ravenloft books name it "Iadul," and Barovians don't really have a concept of "the devil"

Wouldn't their concept of "The Devil" technically be Strahd though, since they refer to him (quietly) as "The Devil Strahd"? :P

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Well the Ravenloft books name it "Iadul," and Barovians don't really have a concept of "the devil"

Wouldn't their concept of "The Devil" technically be Strahd though, since they refer to him (quietly) as "The Devil Strahd"? :P
well they're familiar with "devils" but not anything like a Satan-like figure. They call Strahd that in regards to his temperament (Lawful Evil), not because they believe that he's actually a devil/THE "Devil"

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
 :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: