You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Spell effects cause freeze  (Read 1635 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Spell effects cause freeze
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:21:07 PM »
I have a minor issue, in that it does not happen all the time, but frequently enough to be annoying...

When a character appears on screen with a spell effect like ghostly visage active, I have always received a slight pause while the graphics catch up, but lately it has occasionally just completely frozen on me, causing me to reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do any of you know what a possible cause may be?
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Spell effects cause freeze
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »
It's just the way NWN works when playing online. It can be particularly annoying when people are buffed to the nines.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »

With my old laptop I had that problem constantly Emomina, but then it ceased when playing on a newer laptop with better hardware. I'm not a techy though, so I'm not much help on these matters.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »
Same thing happens even with an invisible character. You get similar framerate stutters when you walk into the range of a large crowd, or bunch of objects. Heck, the times I've walked into the outskirts with three merchants and their wares scattered over the floor has stuttered me up bad too.

Similar thing with buffed people. The game suddenly has to load up a new character model and appearance, and then apply all the fun little Christmassy effects to them.

No real way to get around it without just removing -every- spell effect.