Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 4122 times)

failed.bard

Windows 7
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
  So far, it doesn't suck.  At least, it runs NWN quite well for me, and that's really one of my four computer priorities.

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:33:01 AM »
You don't have to set it up to run goofy work arounds like Vista?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:48:22 AM »
I've had two Vista machines so far, and the way I got it to run on both of them was by clicking the NWN executable.   :P

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:13:08 AM »
How much is Windows 7 anyways?

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
I have a desktop that runs Windows XP and a lap top that runs Vista.  I've played NWN on both of them without any problems.  Or for that matter, noticing any difference. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

failed.bard

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »
  I paid $130 for the upgrade version.  It came with both 32 and 64 bit OS install disks, and will upgrade from XP or Vista.

Since I did the vista upgrade, it kept all my pre-existing settings.  NWN worked for me under Vista quite well, so I can't say for certain whether it will run it properly on every set-up or not, or if I just happen to have gotten lucky.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
$130 and it upgrades from XP. So you don't have to un-install your previous windows or anything.

Did you just download and upgrade or do you have to go buy it at ze store?

~ Chris
Current Characters:

failed.bard

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
  I bought it at the store, since I like having the disks handy if there's ever a hard-Drive problem and I need to reinstall or repair it.

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
Warning though, you you have to do a clean upgrade from XP to 7.  What that means, is that you will lose all your files and they will need to be backed up somewhere.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

failed.bard

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Warning though, you you have to do a clean upgrade from XP to 7.  What that means, is that you will lose all your files and they will need to be backed up somewhere.

Right, I forgot to mention that part.  If you're going XP to 7, or 32 bit to 64 bit, you have to do a clean install.  That's actually not that bad a thing if you have two hard drives, since it would let you boot to either of them afterwards.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

Right, I forgot to mention that part.  If you're going XP to 7, or 32 bit to 64 bit, you have to do a clean install.  That's actually not that bad a thing if you have two hard drives, since it would let you boot to either of them afterwards.

I figured as much I would have too. No big deal wanna clean up stuff anyways.

~ Chris
Current Characters:

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:57:31 PM »
Plus the PC guy in the Mac comercial promised that 7 would be stable!  :roll:

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

failed.bard

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »

I can run dragon age and NWN at the same time, one on each monitor, under windows 7.  Oddly, NWN was laggy, but not dragon age, doing that.  I guess whichever one I open first gets CPU priority.

Trust me, if I have any problems with it, I'll be pointing them out here too.

X5Alexander

• Sir Henry
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »

I can run dragon age and NWN at the same time, one on each monitor, under windows 7.  Oddly, NWN was laggy, but not dragon age, doing that.  I guess whichever one I open first gets CPU priority.

Trust me, if I have any problems with it, I'll be pointing them out here too.
I'm taking it you have dual processors?  I'm pretty sure NWN only uses one of them, even if you have two, because of its age as well as other things.  So it could be laggy because dragon age is using most of the first processor and nwn can only use the first, ya know?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »
You can tell programs which processor to use in the task manager.

X5Alexander

• Sir Henry
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »
Correction: NwN only uses the first CPU by default. 
Thanks bud for telling me that.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 01:59:02 AM »
So I finally got around to wiping my virus laden pc, installed windows 7 and reinstalled nwn and the expansion packs.  The game seemed to work ok after installation however when I tried to update it instructed me to download some sort of critical patch from the bioware website.   I downloaded and ran the patch and now the game won't work at all.  The first screen loads but it ends up closing after I select play.

Has anyone had this problem?  Anyone know what I can do?

*Edit*  Someone else who had this problem with vista helped me, it works when i load the game from nwmain
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:40:05 AM by puckwolf »

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
You need to download the critical rebuild.

Not sure what that means, but someone mentioned it every time a similar problem popped up. Google it. ;)

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
I did download the critical rebuild, it was after I installed the patch that the game stopped working. 

Even with using nwmain I'm still having issues, the game is very laggy to the point where items don't appear where they really are and I've been jumping points randomly. 

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
Could be a driver issue with your graphics card.  :surreal:

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 05:52:52 AM »
I did download the critical rebuild, it was after I installed the patch that the game stopped working.  

Even with using nwmain I'm still having issues, the game is very laggy to the point where items don't appear where they really are and I've been jumping points randomly.  

I am experiencing a similar issue under windows 7, however in my case it only occurs in outdoor areas and closing/immediately restarting the game fixes it. I believe it is caused by the graphics driver as NWN is rather picky about those.

Your lag may also be caused by the processor as the modern ones have multiple cores, which nwn does not support, in which case you can try the following soultion:
Set a processor affinity in the configuration file.

To fix it permanently, open your nwnplayer.ini file (it is located in same directory as the game) and in [Game Options] section add this line (or change existing one to =1):

Client CPU Affinity=1

Now the NWN game will always use your first core.

Edit: or you can try a value of -2 to disable it.

Also, the game will run from the launcher and any direct connect shortcut, provided it is given administrator privileges.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:17:43 AM by Blacky Rose »
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what I can do.  I may even go as far as just wiping the hard drive and re-installing XP since I won't be using the PC for anything other than playing NWN anyways.  I have my mac for my other computer needs (which was also updated recently and won't run NWN either because of the video drive updates).  :banghead:

I'll futz around with it a bit more though before I resort to a wipe.