Author Topic: Missle storm needs some form of save  (Read 19141 times)

failed.bard

Re: Missle storm needs some form of save
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »
  I don't think it's possible to empower the number of missiles, though.  I had been told before that certain variables simply weren't considered by the game engine when it was done.  If it were possible to be empowered, I think that they already would have been by default.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
My understanding of the Empower Spell feat (at least from the tabletop version) is that it only applies to numbers within the spell that are random (i.e. die rolls for damage/healing/HD affected/whatever).  Number that are fixed (like a certain number of targets) or that vary according to caster level rather than randomly (number of missiles, bonus to cure X wounds spells) aren't affected. 

That's what they meant by "variable, numeric."  Basically, empowering only affects the same values that would be affected if the Maximize Spell feat were in play.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
Instead of sitting here arguing back and forth. What do the crew say about this?

Kaspar

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »
Before everyone gets too wrapped up with a topic like this, as if your fun and overall experience on PoTM depended on it; let me state that there's a lot more pressing priorities we got at the moment than taking a look at this (Which hasn't been an issue nor a spammed spell from what I see from above), I suggest everyone to leave it a rest and to get back in game.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
No, actually I've never been pwnt by this spell.  Although a certain little creep did try  ;)

Taken from the NwNWiki description of Evard's Black Tentacles:

This spell can be devastating when used in conjunction with the empower spell feat. This is because the 50% bonus applies to both the number of tentacles from the die roll and the number of tentacles deriving from caster level, as well as applying to the damage dealt by each tentacle.

Definition of Numeric:

numeric  (n-mrk, ny-)
n.
A number or numeral.
adj.
Variant of numerical.

Definition of effect:

effect  (-fkt)
n.
1. Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.

So in essence, what I'm trying to say is that since the numerical effect is basically the number of missles created, and that empower spell enhances numerical effects by 50%...50% more missles should be created.  Damage is the variable effect, so damage will be increased by 50%.  The spell will be made completely balanced by allowing only 10 missles to hit any single target.

Whew.
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

• Dark Power
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
This is because of the area effect of Evards, because it is a number not a set max like ILMS.

Area of effect: large (5 meter radius), 1d4 tentacles + 1 / caster level (maximum 20)

So at max a level 20 can have 36 tentacles and yes if a level 20 mage is using a spell slot of this it should be nasty.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Kaspar

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
The 10 missile per target theory seems decent. I'd shoot for it, if this spell was actually a problem. I'm just not big into suggesting or doing the unnecessary.

Also, if you killed the wizard that tried killing you with it.. Well. Goes to show it's not all powerful like you imply it is.  ;)

failed.bard

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
  Empowering does not affect the number of missiles created by ILMS or IGMS.  You can have anyone you want test it in game, they will always get the normal number of missiles.

Kaspar

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »
  Empowering does not affect the number of missiles created by ILMS or IGMS.  You can have anyone you want test it in game, they will always get the normal number of missiles.

Huh? lol, I can't help but point out you keep repeating this Bard. Why?

failed.bard

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2009, 12:19:16 AM »

Huh? lol, I can't help but point out you keep repeating this Bard. Why?

Because Aldarris claimed it was increased 5 times before saying that he didn't say it at all.  I still have 2 more to catch up to him.

The number of missiles can't be increased by empowering.  It isn't increased, and it can't be increased.  The only way to make the number of missiles increase would be to set it to a specific number of missiles, which isn't something that's going to happen.

He also said:
There's quite a few high level casters who love to spam this spell.

Followed two posts after by:
First off, I would like to say that the fact that the majority of the high level casters on the server do not spam this spell repeatedly says something about the fairness and integrity of our server.  Kudos  :thumbup:

Still, there are a select few who do.  And it's borderline Cheese, as well as it basically ruins the fun factor of PvPing against a mage, since they can cast an empowered level 6 spell that will make a beast of a character with 300-400 hp dead or near-death with 2-3 casts, with no form of save or ability to resist the damage.
  Frankly, it annoys me he outright lies, makes numbers up and scenarios up have have nothing to do with PotM, and how the spell is used and applied here, and then turns around a few posts later and lies again about what he said earlier.

We're all well aware he wants the spell nerfed solely because he thinks it interferes with him "winning".

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »

Time to give this thread a rest.

:pbbbtt: :pbbbtt: :pbbbtt:

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2009, 01:15:58 AM »
Actually, I believe empowering GMS increases the number of missles as well as the damage they do.  So with that in mind, the spell would do 30d9 damage?

That's a possible...270 damage per round, with 540 if you're hasted.

Please tell me that is not true.

Actually, that's the only time that I stated that the number of missles was increased.  And that was after carefully reading the description of empower spell.  And after stating my findings, I'm asking for clarification.

Now, time for the sarcasm:

Oh wow...wow Bard, you got me...I didn't think anybody would catch on.  I -am- trying to win by balancing this spell!  Yes, clearly I think it interferes with me winning...because clearly that's why I play the game...lol.

If that were true, I would have made a full blown wizard a long time ago, not a palemaster hybrid who was full of RP possibility, and aquired DPs through RP events that actually hindred his abilities as a caster.  And actually contributed to the horror of the setting.

Sarcasm aside:

Bard, it's clear from your typo that this topic has got you in a frenzy, and you're a bit shaken up about it for reasons unknown.  Please, calm down, take a deep breath, and when you have something constructive to post, please do so.  We all love you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:18:45 AM by Aldarris »
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2009, 02:22:15 AM »
Someone close and lock this topic.  :sleeping:

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »
The three absolutes in life:

Death

Taxes

Beating the long dead game mechanic horse.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
You want the topic to die, go post in some others so this one falls off the front page.

Can't see the imbalance too much. Any class that dosen't have high enough HP to stand a full hit with it can summon something to halve the damage anyway.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
I put it like this. A mage able to cast this spell is high enough level to kill a low level indeed, just like a high level fighter will wreck a low level with repeated attacks.

A lvl 20 fighter will shrug this spell off with his 200+ HP and he prolly got comrades about and even a wizard of his own to toss into the game.

My last coins for this thread I believe :)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
Said it before, but I'll say it now again, doubt we'll ever touch this spell. Really, if you don't agree, no need to enter a pointless debate, we wont "nerf" a spell because someone posts wanting it changed, we got a good overview of what's needed to be balanced and if we ever get to this eventually, we will.

Where's the urgency in this?  ;)

[Locked]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:05:14 PM by Heretic »