Author Topic: Creature Morale System  (Read 27291 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Re: Creature Morale System
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
Again like the thought with this system, though mindless things should not be effected and the Knockdown need to be fixed.

marlewebber

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »
Darkness worked out a little better this time, they didn't stand there like buffoons, they either fought or ran out of the range of the effect.  Very nice.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »
Would it be possible to change it so the PC does not auto follow a fleeing monster?  Today when switching to my bow most of the time I would equip the bow and kept on chasing the monster leaving me to click / key-tap like mad to break combat and try to quickly click on the monster to shoot it.  It was novel at first but its becoming a bit of a pain.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
well alhoon ran away which was funny. So yes intelligent things acutally run legitly now insted of into walls kudus!

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »
Not sure why an alhoon would run away, since it knows it's gonna be back.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »
ran out into the hall funny stuff.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »
As of the recent update, the werewolves will occasionally stay down when Knockdown is used but the majority of the time they still ignore it / get up right a way.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
Would it be possible to change it so the PC does not auto follow a fleeing monster?  Today when switching to my bow most of the time I would equip the bow and kept on chasing the monster leaving me to click / key-tap like mad to break combat and try to quickly click on the monster to shoot it.  It was novel at first but its becoming a bit of a pain.

This is an engine mechanic. I don't think it can be changed.

My last Huecuvah fight resulted in them running to the nearest corner to hide. Skeletons all the way up to Champion fight to the (re)death.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »
Could we tone the system down a bit?  It's kind of annoying to chase a pack of monsters to the far corners of the maps.  Maybe they could run slower and not forever lol. 

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
They still Ignore Knock Downs.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
We Also had  a skeleton champion and or skeleton lord (not sure which) flee, resulting in the "auto follow-attack of opportunity-PC-dies" thing.

jlove916

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
I am sure others have complained about this..

Monsters should not beable to run away when knocked down!

Also.. monsters without morale.. should not have to check...  who heard of a skeleton who cared if it died..

rethink the DC for morale for each monster.. mindless monsters should have no chance of running.. etc.

Cyber bullets cause no pain.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »
The skeleton who cared if he died cares! And skelly worrs looking for the soul gems care.

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 02:42:44 AM »
So, here's the scene....

I'm in the depths of a creepy forest, and suddenly a bunch of shadows slither out of the trees and surround me!  One of them lashes out at me with a sinister claw, I draw back my club and clout him with a telling blow.  The shadow turns on his heel and just starts *booking* in the opposite direction.  Another shadow lunges forward, determined to choke the life out of me!  I smite him and he, too turns on his heel and starts sprinting away.  The process repeats three more times and I'm standing alone with my enemies fled to the furthest corners of the wood.

I do like the added element of the morale system; it has the potential to make the creatures seem a lot more lifelike and combat more dynamic.  However, I feel that creatures turning around and fleeing at top speed makes the game less immersive.  There is no sense of the morale wavering and then breaking, as the creature's doubt overcomes its courage.  As it stands, the process feels kind of robotic.  

-As jugnaut mentioned, the creatures do run too far.  It would be nice not to have to run everyone down to the four corners of the map.  

-As BadBud mentioned, the tough creatures should never run.  They are the chief horrors!  :)

-It seems that creatures run just as fast as you do.  Should a skeleton warrior be able to keep pace running from a hasted PC?

-It also appears that creatures which don't even regenerate reappear at full strength after running far enough away.  I'll have to investigate that one further.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 02:53:50 AM »
It's really bad in the coal mine, where anything that gets put to badly wounded will start running, and you will be forced to chase it, which breaks your line and causes a long string of AoO's on you...

Anyway, the shadow dragon, Zalaph, ran in terror.  It has been done now.  We got him cornered on a small section of map and he just kept turning back and forth while we beat him up.

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 03:09:51 AM »
I think the concept was good, but the implementation of it was a bit dodgy due to NWN taking different things in priority.

I origonally liked it, but now it's more of a nerd-rage inducing sort of thing. 

... However, if you face an enemy that doesnt have regen, you beat its bum a little bit..and it goes to cry in the corner while you catch it flatfooted.. hrm.
Delete Me.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 03:33:56 AM »
As it is now, the characters without the Spring Attack feat (or a tumble in excess of +15) will feel the most pain. But if you stay on top of it in battle, you can target a different foe before incurring an AoO.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 03:58:49 AM »

-As jugnaut mentioned, the creatures do run too far.  It would be nice not to have to run everyone down to the four corners of the map.  

Hmm, in extend of the immersion sentiment, I'm a bit unsure how this should be applied. Should a panicking monster stop running from you at some point, and if so, when?

-As BadBud mentioned, the tough creatures should never run.  They are the chief horrors!  :)

Well, that could be arranged easily by giving them a morale modifier boost. I'll check it out.

-It seems that creatures run just as fast as you do.  Should a skeleton warrior be able to keep pace running from a hasted PC?
I'm not sure why that would be. As I'm aware, they run at their own normal running speed. Can others confirm this, and if so, the consistency of it?

-It also appears that creatures which don't even regenerate reappear at full strength after running far enough away.  I'll have to investigate that one further.

If monsters run far enough away and are outside the combat for a good amount of time, they will rest up as PCs do. That's actually an old implementation, but I figure it makes sense in this context too (running to recover strength?).

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
It's really bad in the coal mine, where anything that gets put to badly wounded will start running, and you will be forced to chase it, which breaks your line and causes a long string of AoO's on you...

Anyway, the shadow dragon, Zalaph, ran in terror.  It has been done now.  We got him cornered on a small section of map and he just kept turning back and forth while we beat him up.

Screenshot?   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »

Dang, I am usually so good at doing screens in the heat of the moment, but alas, I was so shocked to see Zalaph fail morale, that i stood there dumbstruck.  :lol:
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »

Dang, I am usually so good at doing screens in the heat of the moment, but alas, I was so shocked to see Zalaph fail morale, that i stood there dumbstruck.  :lol:

Damn!  If Heretic was there, we would've had a slideshow.   :lol:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »

Vokan

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
 :facepalm:

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

Creatures don't flee at a quicker rate than normal speed. But if you are trying to follow them on auto-attack, you need to manually chase after them to flank them. The fleeing opponents can be approached as another challenge, since if you mindlessly chase after them you could run into another group of danger and become quickly overwhelmed, which is good. Means you have to use your head in the fight. A fleeing monster also allows character classes with increased speed a chance to put one of their class advantages....to the advantage.

Also, it seemed to me that those monsters that did run away will shortly return to fight again once they overcome their fear. So you don't always need to chase after. For my Monk, the enemy runs off and then he goes to hide and wait for it to return to sneak up on it and knock it down.

There is some fine tuning yet to be done it seems (especially with 'knock down'), but overall the moral system is a benefit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:19:55 PM by Iconoclast »