You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Creature Morale System  (Read 27115 times)

marlewebber

Re: Creature Morale System
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
Maybe a confusion effect would be appropriate?  Since an enemy that can see will use its normal AI, but one under darkness might flee, attack the nearest, stand there horrified, or something like that...

failed.bard

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
  It can also bug GS, to the point where casting darkness on an area that a GS concealed character is can ~occasionally~ negate the GS, and allow the character to be attacked normally.  That being said, even if the spell was removed from use, I wouldn't want to see it be removed from tieflings and drow.

Moreso on topic, I've seen quite a few creatures (thugs and bullies, in this case) ignore KDs and run off despite being on the ground a fraction of a second earlier.  Very much like the demonologists do, I think the NPC movement negates all current actions, even negative effect ones.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
Someone mentions 'Darkness' and now everyone wants to ban it.  :roll:  :mrgreen:

Nerfpires trying to get their fix!

And on topic, an observation - killed many a rat in front of their friends and they've decided not to run away. Intentional because of low int?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:26:48 PM by AcidZealot »

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
It is AI script thingy it been here for ages, specialy those demologist mage that keep run away after knockdown and casting spells.

Well, I've seen the run-despite-knockdown thing happen a lot with spellcasters -- especially vampire sorceresses in the Baratak ruins -- but I've never seen it happen so consistently with a more mundane monster.  (To put it another way, I've knocked down a lot of zombies since I started playing, and this was definitely different.)

This is also happening now with werewolves and its very annoying. The typical sequence is: Knockdown werewolf, hit werewolf when down, Werewolf is suddenly on the other side of room and as you automatically run after it every other werewolf in the pack catches you flatfooted and gets attacks of opportunity.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »
I can confirm the rats. They don't run away under any circumstance.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
This is also happening now with werewolves and its very annoying. The typical sequence is: Knockdown werewolf, hit werewolf when down, Werewolf is suddenly on the other side of room and as you automatically run after it every other werewolf in the pack catches you flatfooted and gets attacks of opportunity.

You are not flat footed in that instance, you are giving an attack of opportunity for passing through a threatened square. Its why spring attack feat exist :)

And I love it, I tested it out with greater wolfweres, and it makes them much more formidable foes now. :)
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »
Ah, I assumed flat footed since none of them missed me  :).   When they flee normally it does add a lot of flavor and now I have a reason to use my bow again!  Its just the knockdown bug that is very annoying, it kind of makes Knockdown pointless.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:55:17 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
and now I have a reason to use my bow again!

That's something I had not considered, it does indeed favor a bow use. Who uses a bow aside AA?

Good stuff.  ;)

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
Speaking of archery....would a dwarfen cleric with Zen Archery be considered witchery?  :plotting:

Also...YAY! Finally I don't have to attempt to tank with Jerto Kennen...who is a bard  :|
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
Bow? Phoey!.... Now Fireball, there's a good method to stop running away foes... Woosh... BOOOM!

Who doesn't like a good explosion?  :mrgreen:

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »
Buzz-Killington, thats who
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
I love the thought behind this system and how it is thought to work but...
For now the system have a few rather big flaws in it as mentioned in previous posts here i can just add to that Zombies and other mindless creatures and undead should not be effected by moral, also the KD ain't working as it should on creatures affected by moral, you KD them and even so they run away, if you do caught up with them and KD them again while they still effected by moral they totally ignores the KD and just keeps running.

Know Soren be working on it and just hope this be fixed soon.

Cheers.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »
Bow? Phoey!.... Now Fireball, there's a good method to stop running away foes... Woosh... BOOOM!

Who doesn't like a good explosion?  :mrgreen:

Buzz-Killington, thats who

Hahahaha. Buzz-Killington, reminds me of family guy.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »
...a snow golem just ran from me.

:lol:

Oh my, the ice queen also ran away.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:30:09 PM by Bad_Bud »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:34 PM »
The morale system makes soloing much much harder. If you solo, then many of your opponents will be able to get away while you deal with the others near you.  But, on the other hand, Casters are pretty affected in a positive way. The ranged attack is now much much more useful and ranged spells are now very useful, as is an archer.. And regenerating creatures, of which are numerous:  Wolfweres, vampires, werewolves, thouls etc etc : many times have to be taken to near death more than once, and you have to focus on the ones closest to you while the near death runs and regenerates. Just some feedback, I have noticed. I like it.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »
The morale system makes soloing much much harder. If you solo, then many of your opponents will be able to get away while you deal with the others near you.  But, on the other hand, Casters are pretty affected in a positive way. The ranged attack is now much much more useful and ranged spells are now very useful, as is an archer.. And regenerating creatures, of which are numerous:  Wolfweres, vampires, werewolves, thouls etc etc : many times have to be taken to near death more than once, and you have to focus on the ones closest to you while the near death runs and regenerates. Just some feedback, I have noticed. I like it.

Yay for archers! *pulls his archer out of mothballs*

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 12:37:37 AM »
The update to the morale pack has changed how they respond to KD now even more

Werewolves ran through the KD. They didnt hit the floor and pause this time, they simply ignored it. 

Delete Me.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »

Werewolves ran through the KD. They didnt hit the floor and pause this time, they simply ignored it. 

I had that also happen with wererats and vampirespawn. Also slimes, gelatinous cubes, and mindless undead are still fleeing.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 11:56:09 AM »
Those poor cubes!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:06 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting - think I might know what's been up then. Will have to experiment though.

Keep reporting the things that are running away that shouldn't. And, it could also be nice with some feedback on the values, if things fail morale too quickly or slowly, etc.

Psyche

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »
I like how individual wererats flee at the drop of a hat, but a big mob ain't running for nothing.
Dire Rats are still running.. I assume this is by design, that they're smart enough not to want to die.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
Shadows, shadow fiend, and greater shadow fiends are all running away too.  Also I have the wererat that I am currently attacking run even when in a mob of them.

Another thing I have noticed is that when a creature I am attacking flees one of three things happen. I automatically chase them (dropping expertise and taking attacks of opportunity from anything else around me), I just drop out of combat and stand there (dropping expertise), or (if am fast enough and or lucky enough) I am able to click another opponent and continue fighting that one while the other runs. Usually its one of the first two.

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
I've noticed now that the problem is universal, not just with werewolves.

If they're in 'flee' mode, they will run straight through KD.

KD: Hit!   appears, and they're still running perfectly.

KD: Critical Hit usually results in death, so no comment on that one
Delete Me.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
Made an elder aboleth run away... twice.

Next, I will make the shadow dragon run away.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »
I also observed some things flee that shouldn't. Like those killer mushrooms, undead  etc. Mindless things should not have morale. Not sure if it is this way because it has to be universal but if that can be altered it would make for a bit more realism. Otherwise I think it's a fantastic innovation, the attacks of opportunity and expertise mode issues aside it adds a nifty level of realism that can actually really help players when badly outnumbered.

Also as mentioned before it enhances archer and mage values for cleaning up those that flee.

~Taty~