You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Disable weather effects, or modify them, or something! *glug glug glug*  (Read 9758 times)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
the cold effect was at -21C    i saw lvl 2 ppl run all over the place and die DURING the day.  harsh winter ok but truly new guy would logon go from camp to temple and wouldnt make it even if he wanted to.
I agree with this my cleric has a 5 resist cloak on and still has to constantly heal herself just to stay alive.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Emomina

• Dark Power
My level 4 rogue with a +1 fortitude save and 24 hps is relegated to indoors completely until the cold front passes. It IS deadly. :lol:
I really miss my DR 10/ Cold items, which are quite a necessity during the winter months for low con rogues, the only class with low hps and fort saves that do not have elemental protection spells.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:28:19 AM by Emomina »
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
*bumb* cant be overlooked
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

LoupGaroux

My level 4 rogue with a +1 fortitude save and 24 hps is relegated to indoors completely until the cold front passes. It IS deadly. :lol:
I really miss my DR 10/ Cold items, which are quite a necessity during the winter months for low con rogues, the only class with low hps and fort saves that do not have elemental protection spells.

the DR 10 cold items don't matter at this point. In the Outskirts, wearing the warm clothing (Which gives that) the weather was still doing up  to 14-16 damage.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
And a tad unrealistic if you ask me... Sure frigid climates will cause the death of a person but it's due to over or extreme exposure. All our characters are dressed well enough to cope the cold for one day maybe two until it becomes life threatening. I've read actually survival stories where individuals survive up to a week in temperates below -10c... So why can't your average person survive for a day? We are playing above average heroes here so a cold day should be a no brainer ;)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
It just needs toned down.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
When cold weather is more harmful than a blow from a Longsword...
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

Grieyls

• Undead Master
Interesting.. I'd like to point out on my last visit to Denmark, which was a while ago now I admit the average tempreture of the day was somewhere around -15 give or take.. can't quite remember, anyway it was winter and was visiting rellies for x-mas. Anyhoo I was frequently walking out and about in that weather nearly everyday all day doing touristy things. Can't say the cold bothered me much and all I was wearing was jeans, a long sleeved shirt and a jacket. Now I might have a high tolerance, does explain though why I hate summer in Australia however :P

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
It's been on the "windy" setting (which also turns off the music in exterior areas)every time I've logged on this week, for the entire time I was on. :?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Springer

• Dark Lord
Weather shoould be deadly in the mountains only I think.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Grieyls

• Undead Master
Which it seems to be now, what get's me about the cold though is the cold weather gear you may be able to obtain does not stack or at the least it doesn't seem to. Say you put on a Cloak (damage resist 5/-), Fur line boots (damage resist 5/-) and thick fur clothing (damage resist 10/-). All those items when worn should give you a Damage resistance of 20/- by rights. But it doesn't, the system only takes the highest value or so I've observed so far.

Yes in some invoriments the extreme cold weather should be deadly, but with the right gear you should be able resist it. And while I'm on the subject I've noticed that some Full Plate Armour does not have a cold resist factor attached to it. This seems odd to me as you are aware of how many layers there are involved in wearing said armour right? Some of those layers are metal yes but there's really thick padding under all that metal as well. I would suggest at least 5/- be added, just so it makes actuall sense ;)

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
Yes in some invoriments the extreme cold weather should be deadly, but with the right gear you should be able resist it. And while I'm on the subject I've noticed that some Full Plate Armour does not have a cold resist factor attached to it. This seems odd to me as you are aware of how many layers there are involved in wearing said armour right? Some of those layers are metal yes but there's really thick padding under all that metal as well. I would suggest at least 5/- be added, just so it makes actuall sense ;)

Your armor, boots, gloves and especially helmet should all have to have cold resistance in order for you to get the full benefit from any of it. Just so it makes actual sense ;)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
Which it seems to be now, what get's me about the cold though is the cold weather gear you may be able to obtain does not stack or at the least it doesn't seem to. Say you put on a Cloak (damage resist 5/-), Fur line boots (damage resist 5/-) and thick fur clothing (damage resist 10/-). All those items when worn should give you a Damage resistance of 20/- by rights. But it doesn't, the system only takes the highest value or so I've observed so far.

Unfortunately from my own experience in reenactment fighting i used to do if anything metal armor should make you colder. I used to wear a chain top [35lbs groan] <---wuss, Underneath it was a padded top and it didn't matter. It was like having a frozen piece of metal on you. Amusingly we used to heat our chain on engine blocks of cars before use.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Grieyls

• Undead Master
Well I'd have to disagree on that as I have also done Medieval renactment and wore plate armour circa 13 and 14 centuray. You have the undergarments over which goes the padding which is up to a half an inch thick, over which goes the chain if any, over which goes the plating. All that gets you quite warm in short order even if the metal is cold, body heat counting for allot.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
Well I'd have to disagree on that as I have also done Medieval reenactment and wore plate armour circa 13 and 14 century. You have the undergarments over which goes the padding which is up to a half an inch thick, over which goes the chain if any, over which goes the plating. All that gets you quite warm in short order even if the metal is cold, body heat counting for allot.
You must have been dressed warmer but i noticed if you wear to much you sweat like mad under the cotton and when you stop moving as much say as in after a or between battles it got really cold it was like wearing a freezer. Ahh if only they had microfibre fleece in the dark ages.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Grieyls

• Undead Master
The group I was with tried to make things as authentic and historically correct as possible down to the fact that all fabrics in our costumes had to be made from wool, no exceptions. Cotton was not widely used in medieval Europe, in fact the common belief of the time was that cotton was sheared from lambs that grew off a plant. Ahhh the medieval mind so wonderous to behold, but I digress. As a fibre wool is very insular and yet at the same time breathes rather well. I can testify that even after a days worth duking it out in a tourney I never once overheated or froze, although I did get quite fatigued by the end of the day ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:56:26 AM by Grieyls »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
The group I was with tried to make things as authentic and historically correct as possible down to the fact that all fabrics in our costumes had to be made from wool, no exceptions. Cotton was not widely used in medieval Europe, in fact the common belief of the time was that cotton was sheared from lambs that grew off a plant. Ahhh the medieval mind so wonderous to behold, but I digress. As a fibre wool is very insular and yet at the same time breathes rather well. I can testify that even after a days worth duking it out in a tourney I never once overheated or froze, although I did get quite fatigued by the end of the day ;)
historical accuracy is somewhat pointless when playing in a make-believe world that has magical properties like the Mists. :P Cotton, for example, is grown in Hazlan, Barovia's immediate neighbor to the south. So yeah, not hard to come by.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Kendric98

• Dark Power
All i know is that chain shirt was as cold as one of Blues barovian winters to wear.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
I think the wrong argument is being done here :P You have to think that Barovia is a cold country so it would stand to reason that the people of Barovia would make warm clothing to withstand the harsh winters they have. Even down to the armour that is being worn by their Garda ;)

Heck the NPC's aren't too bothered with the cold, that beggar in the slums wears next to nothing and he survives ok :P

Kendric98

• Dark Power
Anouther day in ravenloft. chance of rain/snow ..100%, i have not seen the snow stop once.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
It is winter, of course it will snow.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
The snow did infact stop on the 17th february (game date) about miday until well into the night

Kendric98

• Dark Power
The snow did infact stop on the 17Th February (game date) about miday until well into the night
Was there a celebration or street fair? :lol:

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Grieyls

• Undead Master
historical accuracy is somewhat pointless when playing in a make-believe world that has magical properties like the Mists. :P Cotton, for example, is grown in Hazlan, Barovia's immediate neighbor to the south. So yeah, not hard to come by.

Granted, but I wasn't trying to compare an historical fact with a fictional game. More over I was trying to suggest that if the historical medieval person can cope with the harsh winters of thier time then it's not that much of a stretch of the imagination that fictional peoples in the similar climates can't do the same ;)

I appologies if this was not apparent :P

dark_majico

Damage resistance of the same types, cold, acid, fire, electricity, and so on, never stacks in NWN or PnP. Neither does spell resistance. Its intentional. Ide suggest throwing away any duplicate items any charecter you might have. The same goes for damage type, if you have a weapon which is slashing by default (scimitar) and you add extra damage type: slashing to it. It will not stack, you only get the default slashing damage dealt by the scimitar. If your adding extra damage to a weapon it must be of a different type to work. So add piercing to a slashing weapon.