Author Topic: Graphic and Startup problems - Please help  (Read 2367 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Graphic and Startup problems - Please help
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »
Been unable to play for last week or so due to a graphics issue. Gradually over the past few months the display(s) on my PC has been cutting out, eventually it got to the point where it wouldn't even load windows. I thought it was the graphics card and have replaced it, however after a few hours I got the same issue, the display(s) would cut out and the pc would have to be restarted. Hardware tests showed nothing out of the ordinary, so I resinstalled the OS thinking that was the problem. After reinstalling I get the same problem so it's not a software/driver issue. THinking its possibly an overheating issue I ripped open my case and cleaned out all the dust that I could see as well as checking the mainboard for any burntout transistors or capacitors. Although the inside was quite dusty I couldn't find any obvious burnouts on my board. I'm completely at a loss as to what would be causing this problem.

Breakdown of problem
-Displays attached to PCIE Graphics card stop working after about 10 minutes, or will stop working once any graphic intensive program is loaded OR won't function once windows starts to load (The displays WILL work up until windows starts to load) Have tried using one display or the other. Either way I get the same results

-Onboard Display Adapter works with CRT monitor attached to it without any issues.

-Installed NEW PCIE Graphics card, get same issue.

-Reinstalled OS and get same Issue.

-Cleaned inside of case and checked mainboard for burnouts, get same issue

I am thinking it's a Mainboard problem but am praying it's not and that perhaps there is another solution

Nalain

• Undead Slayer
Re: Graphic and Startup problems - Please help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
Tried changing memory chips?

LeslieMS

• Undead Slayer
  • Mercy is the light in the darkness...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Is your graphics card overheating?
When I got a new graphics card... it was doing something similar, come to find out we just needed a cooling fan on the card and a better heatsink for it.  

Other than that I have no clue... usually when I have a hardware problem I refer it to the Mr Wonderful that I married :)
I know there are programs that can monitor hardware performance and I think maybe some that can pretty closely or accurately monitor temperature too, though without asking my husband or someone who knows more about it than I do, couldn't say for sure.

Still usually my problems that are similar to what you describe are either overheating of the graphics card or processor, or bad memory...

Good luck!  Hope you get it figured out soon.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
My guess is overheating or a not having a big enough PSU (power supply unit). Does the computer feel hot? If its over heating it will feel warm to the touch.  I had a similar problem and was able to remedy it by adding a fan and additional ventilation to the case. If its not that, i would check the PSU specs for the card with the manufacture, don't take what it says on the box as being right. The card i bought listed a power supply 100 watts lower than what the manufacture said was needed. If the PSU or overheating are not the problem, the only other thing i can think of is checking the connections and cables, if you have spare cables try changing them out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:45:34 PM by Badbelly »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »
Good call, probably the PSU or overheating, maybe motherboard's slot..in fact can be many things.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »
Well PC has been running relatively fine for the past year or so with the power supply and the 512 graphics card in it. Anyone know if there are any programs that can either test the power supply or at least tell me how much power it's currently putting out so I can compare it to what it's supposed to be putting out? I've been searching but can't find anything and hate having to spend the 60 to 80 to take it into a shop to get tests run on it.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:37:53 AM »
I don't think so, you must check the hardware itself, there will probably be a label at one of the PSU's sides, with power and voltage values.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23:01 AM »
Well I know how to check that :P but the label on the side isn't going to tell me if it's running correctly. Seems odd that there are programs that can check your cpu temp, fan speed, power consumption of various peripherals but won't tell you a damn thing about the power coming from the power supply..

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:48:44 AM »
Or it is running properly or it will not run at all. I don't think PSUs can work being somewhat damaged or broken.

Moridan_X

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 11:17:14 PM »
if u box ain't gettin past windows splash screen, then it cud be ur mobo. know what i meen?

if u think its power, check the output on the label and compare it to what ur vid card reqs. are. know what i meen? what is u specs plz?

i duno if im too late, but i think its worth a try.

oh. dont take to shop. they charge 50 dollers for install ram  :shock:
Maze'ukt Rhiakshaz

Witches of Sin