Author Topic: Best familiar for combat?  (Read 25940 times)

Bob

• Outlander
Best familiar for combat?
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
Just wondered. I am about to level up again soon. I was thinking about switching familiars, and I am open to suggtions. What is the consensus on the best familiar for a solo character who needs a combat companion? Something small and quick, like a pixie or a mephit? Or a sleek and deadly panther? A firebreathing hellhound? Or a merciless imp? An eerie bat maybe? Or a swift striking raven?

Discuss please.

Psyche

Re: Best familiar for combat?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Not that I support the choosing of familiars as combat commodities - they're supposed to support and enhance RP, but the fire mephit, I suppose.

Nalain

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
Whatever you pick, please see the alignment of the familiar in question and try to match it to the pc's alignment as close as you can. Since the familiar is basically an extension of the spellcaster and a one being, something like a pixie wouldn't accept inherently evil pc as its master. Likewise an evil familiar wouldn't serve a good master.

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
For most servers it's the panther, however, here--the good majority of enemies are undead. So sneak attack doesn't have too much effect.  I'd say, in PoTM, the Fire Mephit.
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
The Raven or the Bat.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Lockleed

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
Raven.  Its just sexy.  However, it has no serious damage output, only status effects.  If you are picking for combat, depending on how you approach combat, panther or fire mephit may be your best shot. 

I'd advise picking your familiar based on your character and his preferences, though.  In the long run, a familiar is more of a RP aid than any serious combat companion.

Pepchko

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
The Raven or the Bat.

~Rex

my favorites

Vokan

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
The imps and mephits tend to be the best early-game familiars, numerically. They have 5/+1 DR, and health regen, meaning at level 3 Wizard, you can give them a few buffs and kill Strong Wererats quite easily.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »
Raven.  Its just sexy.  However, it has no serious damage output, only status effects.  If you are picking for combat, depending on how you approach combat, panther or fire mephit may be your best shot. 

I'd advise picking your familiar based on your character and his preferences, though.  In the long run, a familiar is more of a RP aid than any serious combat companion.

Couple of buffs and the Raven with a few levels behind it will destroy about anything.  Bat's almost as good.
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

This assists for a more convincing character. If every Wizard and Sorcerer went Fire Mephit just because they've got slightly better stats then what kind of characters are they? Not interesting at all, IMO.

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »
This assists for a more convincing character. If every Wizard and Sorcerer went Fire Mephit just because they've got slightly better stats then what kind of characters are they? Not interesting at all, IMO.

Possibly his character is Power Hungry, and there for takes the Fire Mephit?
I'd think that be a good RP reason.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Ive found Pixie to be a great companion after Jeffron killed my raven ....no need to take one skill point in open locks like I know half the mages on the server do  :?

Usless for combat , but then what sort of caster sends his best friend into a battle & sits back to watch anyway ? :chicken:

As mentioned fammiliars should be at most one step away from your own alignment  :teach:

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »
Are not familars in ravenloft dread familars though? not sure if it is all of them or not. Dread Familars from what I know are Evil Familars, but absolutely loyal to a fault, and does try to help archive even its subconscious goals. Bluebomber can probably explain more about it.

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »
Are not familars in ravenloft dread familars though? not sure if it is all of them or not. Dread Familars from what I know are Evil Familars, but absolutely loyal to a fault, and does try to help archive even its subconscious goals. Bluebomber can probably explain more about it.

Let's hope so..
That's why I use a Pixie .

Bob

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
My guy is in the process of going nutso. Alignment is up in the air at this point. He is slipping from true neutral toward the dark side though.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 10:58:05 PM »
Hey bob is your server logging reg-something? Player of Jon the suicidal sorcerer?

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:42 AM »
The Raven or the Bat.

~Rex

I personally favour Raven, because according to the SRD, it can speak one language that it's master can.

Then, using this, you can fly your Raven into town and have it perch on the shoulder of your allies, and whisper to them that you require aid and where you are.

Familiar =/= Summoned Tank.

Bob

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »
Hey bob is your server logging reg-something? Player of Jon the suicidal sorcerer?

Yup. I have several, but Jon is one of mine.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »
So it is you. I own Natan. Hahaha!

Edit before I'm quoted for being off-topic: Not that eyeballs are good for combat but I recently started a wizard PC, which is a dwarf, so he has improved expertise  and decent CON then I use him mainly to block while the eyeball attacks with magic(normally). Not sure about this build but I'm trying things out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:26:36 AM by Frog »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 04:41:37 AM »
Do not focus on combat, focus more on the roleplay.

And if you are lawful good, running around with a imp for example do not come off as especially lawful or good since its a demon if I am not wrong and demons are chaotic and evil for example.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 05:18:26 AM »
Mephits are extraplanar elementals, not demons or devils, and are usually neutral.

Imps are devils so they are Lawful Evil.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

DM Raven

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 05:48:55 AM »
RAVEN.....   is the only  thing to have as a familiar...

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:49 AM »
Mephits are extraplanar elementals, not demons or devils, and are usually neutral.

Imps are devils so they are Lawful Evil.

Well, perhaps. Still do not fit with a lawful good, less with a chaotic good. People should not think power.  :(

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »

*nod nod* And name it Raven!

X5Alexander

• Sir Henry
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »

*nod nod* And name it Raven!

NO NAME IS CLARISA!

But yeah, i almost never use my familiars or companions for combat. RP is the main thing here. If i do use them in combat it is as a meat shield when trying to escape... [wins]
Also thing about John Darkmagic and his magic shows.