Author Topic: Campfires  (Read 3948 times)

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
Campfires
« on: October 09, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
Is it possible to set up some kind of indoors campfires system? For people who want to set up campfires inside caves?

There are lots and lots of harvestable trees around so it would be possible to carry some wood when going down into dungeons and such.

This topic might already be somewhere but it's just an idea :)

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
Re: Campfires
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
Generally a bad idea to burn fires inside a cave because you'd build up carbon monoxide and suffocate.  You'd go to sleep and wake up dead.

The fire would also disturb the bats roosting on the ceiling and they'd start flying about.  Not a danger game wise, but IRL, bats carry rabies and bat bites can be serious.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
not all caves are closed completely and some have penty of ceiling space :D About the bats... I have no argument :)

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »
Okay , take it from a spieliologist (one who studies caves & their formations) {also a nutter who like nothing more than to crawl into utter darkness & get muddy & wet}...Fires in caves , even small caves are extreemly bad for the occupants .

Most caves in northern europe are formed by water , more often than not running through soluble rock such as lime stone & most with healthy calcium deposits, diluted calcium & the soot, ashed ect from the fire will make Clacium carbide which is highly toxic & gives off a gas called acetylene which aside from being very flamable is also heavier than oxygen .
Light a fire in a badly ventilated lime stone cave & you have a BIG bomb as the acetylene pools at the base of the cave until there is enough to be ignited by the fire.

The heat from a fire will rise sharply in most caverns quickly drying out the rock structure above , which will over time fracture due to the stress from the surrounding material & either send shards of material down from the cavern roof or more likely colapse the entire cavern. (water acts like a glue in most "live" cave systems the absence of air in the rock causing slight vacum)

Most cave dwelling peoples in ages past always lit thier fires at the cave mouth .....the romans favorite method of mining was to light fires in caves & wait for partial colapse ...be a cave man , not a roman  ;)

Psyche

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
Holy Cow..
A man and his work.

Seems like a Good Idea to be able to do that, but then the scientific reason that Tarinyar gave makes more sense.
Not enough DM's around to start patrolling for fires in caves, and then blowing them up.. lol

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »
It should also give those pause, who carry large torches and lanterns down into caves... :twisted:

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
I am going to print this out, and I am going to memorize it. Then one day when I finally get to hiking again, me and my friends will stumble upon a really cool cave somewhere. Someone's going to want to light a fire, and I'll stop them and give an abbreviated description of everything Tarinyar just said. My friends will stand in awe and ask how I came to know all of this. Was it from a wilderness survival guide? One of the many summer programs I've been on? Perhaps my college education in the environmental sciences is finally bearing fruit? No, I'll tell them, it was from some guy on an online roleplaying forum.

Their minds will be blown. I thank you in advance.
Underneath this hood... is another hood.

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
[sits down and ponders his entire life] Well... umm.... my life has no point now due to undeniable facts! Hehehe

Well at least I got the logical explanation... :D

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
I am going to print this out, and I am going to memorize it. Then one day when I finally get to hiking again, me and my friends will stumble upon a really cool cave somewhere. Someone's going to want to light a fire, and I'll stop them and give an abbreviated description of everything Tarinyar just said. My friends will stand in awe and ask how I came to know all of this. Was it from a wilderness survival guide? One of the many summer programs I've been on? Perhaps my college education in the environmental sciences is finally bearing fruit? No, I'll tell them, it was from some guy on an online roleplaying forum.

Their minds will be blown. I thank you in advance.

I think you're wrong.  I bet they'll hogtie you, throw you in the cave, and light a fire next to you.

That's what I would do in that circumstance.

marlewebber

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:08 PM »
Be sure to add to your abbreviated notes about cave spelunking, "Don't go camping with Bad_Bud."

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Duly noted.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
No you can go camping with him just hogtie him before you get to the cave. Then tie him to a horse and your set!

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
So now I need a horse. Great. This whole camping adventure is now starting to be entirely too much effort. If only there was something I could do with my time, at say... a computer.Then I wouldn't have to worry about all this.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »

Light a fire in a badly ventilated lime stone cave & you have a BIG bomb as the acetylene pools at the base of the cave until there is enough to be ignited by the fire.

The heat from a fire will rise sharply in most caverns quickly drying out the rock structure above , which will over time fracture due to the stress from the surrounding material & either send shards of material down from the cavern roof or more likely colapse the entire cavern. (water acts like a glue in most "live" cave systems the absence of air in the rock causing slight vacum

Why is it that, as a DnD player, the first idea I have in this situation is a delayed blast fireball in every cave for two miles around the Outskirts for awesome XP?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
years, and years of inductrination into the fun that is Fireballs?
 I get that feeling everytime I see crowds of people

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 12:40:19 AM »
years, and years of inductrination into the fun that is Fireballs?
 I get that feeling everytime I see crowds of people

And I can happily say I am one of the few who has acted upon that impulse.
With an actual Fireball!
...or two!
 :fire:
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
Fireball was always my answer to everything. And then they added Enegry Substitution and Enegry Admixture I believe, and you could create 1D20 Fire/Lightning Balls or whatever your mind could come up with.. Good times.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Since this topic has created I feel like there number of left behind campfires just doubled or triplied. Never seem that so many campfires in PotM before.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:01 AM »
Why dont they make camp fires do fire damage when someone walks over them? A bit off topic but in a thread called campfires just thought it would be a good plan.

Nalain

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
Why dont they make camp fires do fire damage when someone walks over them? A bit off topic but in a thread called campfires just thought it would be a good plan.

Probably so that someone doesn't get the idea of constructing a field of fire near some transition.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »
If someone goes threw the trouble to make a wall of fires at a transition then the must be either

A: A tad desperate if someone tries to slow roast you with a fire you can just walk over quite quickly then they must be horrible desperate.
B: A person who just wishes to cause ooc anger and harm. Which if this is the case could be easily dealt with. (By going to your friendly neighborhood DM)

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »
Well, a campfire would only hurt you if you stand in it. So why would it do fire damage?

Its a bit more script for something that seemingly isn't that useful.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
If your standing in a fire... it would hurt badly... Hence fire damage. Also it would be nice for the rp of burning a witch. you could literaly burn a witch.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »
You can just RP the fire and no one stands in a fire anyway, if I know the engine right it is counted as an object and you cannot walk on the fire.

My opinion on this, I rather see the witches having a chance to RP their agonizing ending out then taking damage and dying by the engine. The oppurtunity of RP in such an situation shall never be taken away I think.